The "What is this bug?" thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Wasp Spider? I have never knowingly seen a male. A female had a good go at my cat once!

Mike

Yes, wasp spider, Argiope bruennichi. very rare on the western side of the UK, and had been a bit of a holy grail for me. I counted 18 females and 2 males. Made my week. :D:D:red:

The bloke who spotted the first one said "Mike, what spider is this?" and I just squeaked in amazement and grabbed at it. Anyone who does biological recording will know the terror of finding something rare only to lose it as you try to capture it. I wasn't rational until I had the spider in a little pot so I could show it to people. :rolleyes:

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
DSCF0142.jpg

Hawk moth

DSCF0139.jpg

?

DSCF0136.jpg

Carpenter bee?

DSCF0121.jpg

Skipper?

DSCF0110.jpg

Small Cricket?

DSC0190.jpg

Grasshopper?

DSCF0140.jpg

DSCF0108.jpg

2 moths

HBHM.jpg

Macroglossum stellatarum Hummingbird Hawk-moth

I least I knew one
all Italian again sorry

Mike

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Firstly, those are lovely pictures. Thanks for posting.

I can do some, but not all of those.

Your hawk moth may be an Eyed Hawk Moth, but I'd have to see the hindwings to be sure.
The second moth might be a Straw Belle Aspitates gilvaria, but I'm guessing
The big purple bee is Xylocopa violacea, or very similar
Next up is a male Small Skipper, butterfly rather than moth
Small cricket, yes. male, but don't know what species
Next is a cricket too. Crickets have long antnennae, grasshoppers have short antennae. I don't know which species this is, but it is a female.
I have no hope on your two moths.
Last is indeed a Hummingbird Hawkmoth.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
OK then Legs > 6 :eek:

Lotslegs.jpg

Really hoping you can do this one I haven't a clue

Mike

Its a Scutigera sp, probably Scutigera colroptera, which often occurs indoors.

I've been waiting for someone to post a centipede, and that's a nice one, although some Scutigera have a reputation for a nasty bite. They are really speedy, too.

Thanks.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Found a few of these snails mooching round some plants at my parents house. The shells are green, but it was getting dark as i took the pic. Cant find any reference to green snails in the UK.

IMG_0239.jpg

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That is Cepaea nemoralis, the banded snail.

Yes, I know, there are no bands. This is a very variable species, that can be pink, yellow/green, or brown, with or without bands (numbering 1 to 7 or more), and the bands can be wide enough to merge and turn it black. The colour forms that survive in each place are those that are best camouflaged in that spot. So, green with no bands, on a green plant.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Its a Scutigera sp, probably Scutigera colroptera, which often occurs indoors.

I've been waiting for someone to post a centipede, and that's a nice one, although some Scutigera have a reputation for a nasty bite. They are really speedy, too.

Thanks.

Thanks for that The picture was taken several years ago. I got it down to family or maybe Genus but no further.

I was half expecting someone to accuse me of Photoshopping lots of spider legs onto a caterpillar :lmao:
(still a tempting thought), but maybe that's only me.

Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE