The most important bushcraft skill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
The most essential bushcraft skill does not involve making things. It does not require tools. It does not require special “kit.” It only requires the right outlook and the right habits of mind.

The most fundamental bush skill of all is the ability to see, hear, smell, and understand what is happening all around you, all of the time, as much as you possibly can. It's what the military calls “being in Condition Yellow.”

Vacationers in the bush today usually come from a noisy town or city, where they are accustomed to a constant din of background noise from crowds, traffic, coworkers, family members, neighbors, television, personal music systems, cellphones, and many other “advantages” of civilization. Arriving in the bush, these harried people bring with them their worries, city habits, and preconceptions about nature. And they are used to tuning out the noise.

They need to relax. Not just in the way that vacationers often try to relax, but relax COMPLETELY, in the sense of releasing not only their tensions but their preconceptions. They need to TUNE IN to nature.

The first thing to do in the bush is to walk very slowly, stopping often to silently look around and listen. Try to notice the signs of other animals on the ground, on the trees, in the air. Listen to all the sounds around you. Are the squirrels scolding somewhere ahead? Are the raptors circling and squawking and congregating? Can you hear animals moving? Do you smell them? What kind of animals? Do you see scat or tracks on the ground? What animal left it? Is it recent? Which way was the animal moving? If tracks, what do they indicate about the animal's activities?

In other words, the first thing to do in the bush is to size up the local bush residents, see what's going on at that moment in the immediate area. Then you can move on slowly and quietly another five or ten yards and stop again, looking and listening. Move like a deer: just a little at a time, always watching and listening.

If you learn to do this, you will eventually see many more animals and much more activity in nature than you were aware of before. It is a special skill, not to be learned in a weekend or even a whole summer. You must learn to look not for preconceived shapes and colors, but to look for things that look slightly “odd” or “different” or “out of place.” You often won't see a “deer,” but instead you will see an irregular patch of color that does NOT look like a tree or bush or grass. Is it part of a downed tree? Is it a rock? Stand completely still and be quiet, and watch it for a while. Was that an ear that twitched? Did it move? Watch. Listen. Smell.

Look ALL around, not just in the direction you are going. What's happening behind you? Look at everything. Listen to everything. Eventually, you'll get a sense for what looks normal, what sounds normal, and what smells normal.

Of course, you have to watch where you are stepping when hiking; you don't want to step in a hole or on a rock that will roll, or on a slippery wet log. But you have to be aware of everything else around you if you want to experience nature as it really is. Be sure to look over that log, and quietly around the next bend or over the top of the next hill.

There is, of course, a safety issue here. A hiker who stops frequently to look around and listen is much less likely to walk blithely around a bend to find himself between a cow moose and her calf, or over a hill to confront a bear and cubs. But the bigger goal is to experience nature as completely and deeply as possible, to have as many “moments of grace” as possible.

These habits are as useful in the city as they are in the bush. They are the same habits that make a person better at defensive driving or at anticipating a criminal attack. They are also the habits that allow a person to better appreciate the colorful kaleidoscope of human activities and the enjoyable variety of things that people do.

---

Then there is the weather. When hiking or camping in new country, it takes a while to get used to the weather patterns – the signs that a storm is coming, the likely directions of wind during the night, and so on. But that's another story.

-IdahoBackwoods

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Indeed. I picked a lot of that up through hunting, especially in woodland where moving is more a hinderance than a bonus, There's peace in nature but to find it you have to be at peace with it and within yourself. When you find it, its a whole different world out there.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I agree with that IdahoBackwoods
It is what really gives me greatest pleasure when out and about
I also have a couple of sit spots where I just sit and tune into whats going on in the woods
After about 10 minutes the magic usually starts i.e the birds and other animals return to there business and I can listen and observe
I found your post inspirational
Thanks

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I think sometimes that we need to allow ourselves enough time to tune in. That is although I like to go to the woods just for half an hour if thats all the time I have, it takes alot of time to wind down to the pace of the wood. This is something I have started to learn this year and although it sounds a bit hairy fairy is something I fully believe.
To be honest most on here probably do it without realising.....go with someone to the woods ho rarely goes and see how they behave.
D

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Most of my friends have a different mindset to mine. I no longer take them with me anymore as they just carry on as they do elsewhere and i don't get the opportunity to just chill and do nothing.

Hear without listening, see without looking.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Excellent advice. I can relate that to the time I had to drive someone from where I live to another town. The best route was over the SouthDowns (For our American friends they a ridge of low chalk hills which run along part of the South Coast) At the very top, I pulled off the road, below us in the sunshine was a patchwork of farms and villages, streams and country lanes. I said "Look at that" to my amazement he said "What?" and he was serious!! From the city he wasn't even seeing the same scene, to him there was nothing to see. Which I thought was a shame.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Agree although hard to explain sometimes what you are doing in the woods when the answer is nothing!
One of my problems is i often feel that I should be learning new skills instead of enjoying the woods. This quite often leads to learning nowt and experiencing nowt! I now chill more.
D

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Very well said, IdahoBackwoods. That's why I prefer to go on my own. People together seems to feel they have to maintain constant chattering. I don't and therefore probably come across as some sort of unsocial so and so.
I takes my dog too sometimes, but they also are quite a distraction, and noisy! Personally, I need to be on my own to appreciate nature. You can't hear the mouse rustling or the birds going about their business when you've got someone else with you, or a dog crashing about.

... Personally, I need to be on my own to appreciate nature. You can't hear the mouse rustling or the birds going about their business when you've got someone else with you, or a dog crashing about.

You just reminded my of an incident I hadn't thought about in a long time. I was exploring the north slopes of the Uinta Mountains, in NE Utah just south of the Wyoming state line, and I had stopped to pee. I walked off the trail into an opening in a grove of trees, and started to do my business. I guess I was too intent on my mission to look around and listen. Suddenly a blast of feathers shot from behind me and over my left shoulder, and a huge owl snagged a field mouse that I hadn't noticed about ten feet in front of me, and then flew off with his lunch. The whole incident was over in two seconds.

I'm happy to say I didn't pee on my boot!

Hathor

May 3, 2008
Prague
Great post.

Like Wayland, I get tuned in to what's around but for me it comes when cross-country ski-ing (I live in central Europe). Just me and majestic pine trees laden with snow. Apart from the sound of the skis and the heart punding, the silence is deafening.

It's a near spiritual experience....

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Your quite right, this observational skill we have lost.

Primitives and animals see these things.

We sometimes think too much; Im guilty of that but I observe things too.

its amazing the people who see nothing. Im always on the lookout for something interesting. (This is possibly what makes me so good at car boots)

I remember being on Caldey island; people were saying how peaceful and spiritual it was, and I thought `thats cos theres no cars`.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I couple of months ago I heard a really interesting program on swedish public service radio. It was about how different environments affected our ability to perceive, observe and our whole consciousness. There were a lot of references to different psychological and medical scientific articles mentioned and discussed. In summary it was said that people who had been raised in or moved to urban areas had a different kind of awareness than people from rural or more 'natural' areas. The city folks minds very more focused (in a bad sense really), which caused them stress and problems in getting broader perspectives while out in the bush. Luckily this could be trained away, and the remedy was, more or less obviously, spending more time in nature. One study showed that letting youngsters with certain psychosocial disabilities (can't remember all of them, I think DAMP and the like were mentioned) spending enough time in natural surrounding (daily walks in woodland etc) could milder their symptoms. Quite interesting.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I couple of months ago I heard a really interesting program on swedish public service radio. It was about how different environments affected our ability to perceive, observe and our whole consciousness. There were a lot of references to different psychological and medical scientific articles mentioned and discussed. In summary it was said that people who had been raised in or moved to urban areas had a different kind of awareness than people from rural or more 'natural' areas. The city folks minds very more focused (in a bad sense really), which caused them stress and problems in getting broader perspectives while out in the bush. Luckily this could be trained away, and the remedy was, more or less obviously, spending more time in nature. One study showed that letting youngsters with certain psychosocial disabilities (can't remember all of them, I think DAMP and the like were mentioned) spending enough time in natural surrounding (daily walks in woodland etc) could milder their symptoms. Quite interesting.

Townies are tuned into knowing what the hoodies are up to, we all know the environment we spend our time in.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
You just reminded my of an incident I hadn't thought about in a long time. I was exploring the north slopes of the Uinta Mountains, in NE Utah just south of the Wyoming state line, and I had stopped to pee. I walked off the trail into an opening in a grove of trees, and started to do my business. I guess I was too intent on my mission to look around and listen. Suddenly a blast of feathers shot from behind me and over my left shoulder, and a huge owl snagged a field mouse that I hadn't noticed about ten feet in front of me, and then flew off with his lunch. The whole incident was over in two seconds.

I'm happy to say I didn't pee on my boot!

That must have been a shock! We have an European Eagle Owl, and on occasion when we first got him he used to slam, talons first, on the side of his aviary about a foot from my head when I walked past him :yikes:

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Wow. what you wrote there is exactly what I try to show my friends sometimes. It's in vain most of the times. When we're walking, or even strolling in my local woods, I walk slowly wich annoys most friends to begin with. especially at times when I stop and just space out on a bird or tracks or just a beautifull trunk or bark.
I want to enjoy that. They want to march on, eyes focussed 2 feet in front and talk about things that don't really matter.
IdahoBackwoods, it's nice what you have put in words. It's a very recognisable thing. thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE