The Island With Bear Grylls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treetop57

Forager
Sep 1, 2012
dumfrieshire
think it's going to be one of them programes you shout at the telly like some old biddy /my wifes not bushy but she was shouting GET OF YOUR BACKSIDES AND DO SOMETHING mind you she's always on the go drives me mad won't sit still.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
day 2 should have been 3 teams, fire, water collection/prep and food. though were not seeing everything cause its edited and remember, 30 degrees, no food, dehydration, its easy for us to sit and say what 'should' be done. id love to have an opportunity to do it

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I would question how a metal tin washed up in such good condition but plastic bottles I can believe.

Also, glasses have concave lenses and thus are no good for starting fires.

You use a drop of water on the inside of the lens.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
I noticed in the end credits someone listed as chief coconut hider, so presumably the idea is to find out if they have some imagination as opposed to giving up at the first hurdle. Plus it would be a very short programme if they all die within a week. Still I do think you would quickly see some of the team as anchors rather than sailors if you catch my drift. Enjoying the entertainment so far.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I noticed in the end credits someone listed as chief coconut hider, so presumably the idea is to find out if they have some imagination as opposed to giving up at the first hurdle. Plus it would be a very short programme if they all die within a week. Still I do think you would quickly see some of the team as anchors rather than sailors if you catch my drift. Enjoying the entertainment so far.

Blimey he's not wrong you know!

hider_of_coconuts_zpsb636ac0b.png

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Is that the only thing Liam Humphreys did, or are there other jobs he's listed under in the credits? - seems a tad excessive to use just one guy for just that job, but I suppose there could have been a huge number of coconuts.

I'll look forward to some good coconut banging amuter dramatics in the style of Monty Python if anyone still has a sense of humor in a couple of days....

moforuss

Aug 22, 2011
luton bedfordshire
That is why you should watch naked and marooned with ed stafford.This week he was dropped into some rainforest for 10 days with nothing not even clothes.Much better viewing,Made a good bow drill and a nice shelter he even managed to make a grass skirt and he did survive with nothing for the 10 days.This is also a new series on discovery.

I did, I like Ed very much, he has a brilliant way with him... But in the first scene where you see him peeling the bark from the tree, did you notice the perfectly perpendicular knife cut that enabled him to start removing the bark in the first place !! So he's supposed to be there with nothing, but what made that initial cut, he didn't have the jasper flakes at that point!

Ross Bowyer

Apr 29, 2004
kendal
Just so you guys know...Liam Humphrey is the head of commissioning at Channel 4. I presume the production gave him that title as a in house joke...
http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/in-depth/liam-humphreys-c4/5047054.article

And also remember, these guys are not survival experts, or even enthusiasts. They are just your average Joe from the street. One thing I hope Bushcraft enthusiasts can take from this show, is than a lot of skills and techniques you see in books, simply do not work in real life.
I say this with my hand on heart...This show is as close to a real life survival situation as we were allowed to get to make a TV show. It was right on the edge.

Hope you enjoy it.

And remember very few people think clearly when dumped in those conditions and in that situation...I think they did bloody well...

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
Just so you guys know...Liam Humphrey is the head of commissioning at Channel 4. I presume the production gave him that title as a in house joke...
http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/in-depth/liam-humphreys-c4/5047054.article

And also remember, these guys are not survival experts, or even enthusiasts. They are just your average Joe from the street. One thing I hope Bushcraft enthusiasts can take from this show, is than a lot of skills and techniques you see in books, simply do not work in real life.
I say this with my hand on heart...This show is as close to a real life survival situation as we were allowed to get to make a TV show. It was right on the edge.

Hope you enjoy it.

And remember very few people think clearly when dumped in those conditions and in that situation...I think they did bloody well...

when you say 'we', does that mean your part of the program team?

kaizersoza

Trekking Troubador
Jan 12, 2014
Swansea
I enjoyed the first episode, the way these guys just took it for granted that they would find everything they needed, and then they didn't, lol and they way they were all sunbathing instead of concentrating on getting a fire going, fair play to the guys who kept at it though otherwise it would have all been over before it began, its going to be worth a watch

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Well it's frustrating me, but it's also entertaining me.

Their disregard of personal safety, lack of prioritising essentials, & failure to identify & capatalise on available resources is something that will probably irk all of us on here throughout.

So far I haven't seen any clues that they grew up with the works of Lofty and the likes as bed time reading, but I guess if they'd shipped out a bunch of guys skilled in survival & comfortable in the outdoors it wouldn't make such mass apeal & screamworthy TV

Thought I saw a net in the water!
They may have put that there so they had fish to eat but they have to catch it themselves?!?!

39 Mins in there were a couple of large floating whitish objects in the water & several smaller green & white / blu & white.

My initial thoughts were top floats from a section of net, if they've got the sync right they hadn't shown them making any nets at that point; it looks just "all a bit too close together" to be naturally floating debris without it being attached together somehow.

As to the presenter, couldn't care less, just pleased programes like this get made.

I'm in for the long haul on this one :)

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Does anyone know the brand of that small pouch with waist and shoulder strap they all have?
Looks like a good size.

Not seen the show, but could they be battery packs for the microphones? I seem to remember seeing these on other shows (big brother? Can't remember, only watched the first couple). Try searching radio mic pouch or similar? Back to topic...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE