The Island With Bear Grylls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
So it's started.

And he's given the poor ******** a few BG machetes and knives. ;)

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I'm a bit bored with it now; not sure I could survive that ex copper - doing my swede in after his second sentence!!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Unsure WHY they insist on swimming and not getting their essentials squared away - thinking it might all be a grab for viewers suspense!! Not sure their campsite was the best?

ashby001

Forager
May 24, 2013
Faversham
not sure I could survive that ex copper - doing my swede in after his second sentence!!

I agree with that!!!

As for starting a fire I would've been cheeky and just tried to spark one of the batteries for the camera!!!!!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm a bit bored with it now; not sure I could survive that ex copper - doing my swede in after his second sentence!!

Agreed - But I suspect that's more my my problem revolving around tolerance although he could certainly help me exploring my limits.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I agree with that!!!

As for starting a fire I would've been cheeky and just tried to spark one of the batteries for the camera!!!!!

Or even drop of water on someone's spectacles to create a magnifying lens.

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
I agree with that!!!

A couple of them were wearing glasses and they had brilliant sunshine! could have started a fire in minutes with no effort.

Also, why did everybody just sit around waiting for the fire to get lit? They didn't even start thinking about food until nearly the end of the day!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've set it to series link although spent most of the first episode muttering what idiots they were - especially the ones who kept having a nice swim instead of looking for water or getting a fire going. I would have used a lens or battery from the camera, although perhaps they were told not to. Then again, I might have drunk the coconut water from the nut that was clearly visible as they were struggling with the bow drill

Nemesis

Jan 4, 2010
Surrey
Ha ha! Glad it's not me muttering away at the TV!
I think it's great it being on TV though and the lack of drive to sort out the essentials is quite an insight into how people act (particularly considering that this is not a sample of the population but a self-selected group who you would hope would be more inclined to act)

Its also nice to see something showing some of the reality around how hard things like fire starting can be compared to many TV examples where it seems like a piece of cake.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I've set it to series link although spent most of the first episode muttering what idiots they were - especially the ones who kept having a nice swim instead of looking for water or getting a fire going. I would have used a lens or battery from the camera, although perhaps they were told not to. Then again, I might have drunk the coconut water from the nut that was clearly visible as they were struggling with the bow drill

Hot sunny island. coconut husk, and at least two of them wore glasses, = fire.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Loved the first episode, a few moments of realisation creeping in and a few useful attitudes starting to show through.

Fair play to them for the first 24 hours - moving about, night out on their belt buckle, water, fire, dealing with a minor scrape.

It would be too easy to criticise, hats off to them I say. Looking forward to third and fourth week though, it will be tough for all of them.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Just watching this on catchup. I can understand the lack of firefighting knowledge, general naivety around safety in tropical waters and sleeping on jungle floors etc but I can't get my head around the laziness. Everyone is just dossing instead of sorting out their priorities. Even the wife who isn't bushy at all is screaming at the TV.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE