The Island With Bear Grylls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
There's really not enough arguing going on in this thread - perhaps we could simultaneously discuss whether the RM Woodlore knife represents good value for money.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
I thought that Grylls was TA?

He was mate, it's all in his autobiography.

Again, not *that* hard to achieve for a well motivated fit young soldier and his Army service probably says a bit more about him than his successful Everest attempt.

As Ross says in his initial post, it is more important to look beyond any perceptions of the host and watch the show - 13 relatively average joes in a situation that in all honesty we all wonder exactly how we would perform?

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Not meant as a dig at all Paul, I merely suggest that it is poor form to comment on fatalities to emphasise how 'hard' something is - whether that be a mountain or an arduous course.

This will be my last post on the matter, it really has drifted off-thread ...

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Not meant as a dig at all Paul, I merely suggest that it is poor form to comment on fatailities to emphasise how 'hard' something is - whether that be a mountain or an arduous course.

This will be my last post on the matter, it really has drifted off-thread ...

I think shameful is the word you used. I suggest you look up irony. To belittle the achievements of anyone who completes selection is in itself a slur on our armed forces. To further suggest that i have no respect for the families affected is ludicrous. If you cant see the point to what i wrote then the shame really lies with you.

I will also step away from the keyboard before i get myself banned

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
I'm not a huge fan of his stuff but in defence of Bear, he seems to be genuine bloke (my wife knows him and a friend is a business partner of his) who has simply spotted a niche for his skills and background and markets himself skilfully in that area. My own view is that whilst some his exploits are of the sensational variety and might appear somewhat extreme and sometimes a little childish to more contemplative survivalists and outdoorsmen, he is simply making a living by occupying the more sensationalist media space and I can't blame him for that. I think he could back this up with genuine survival skills and I know keeps himself fit through regular training. I know that Grylls, Mears, and Lofty Wiseman have all made disparaging comments about each other at some point which has wound people up, but I believe they subsequently expressed regret.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
[video=youtube;U4JP-JIYH6Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4JP-JIYH6Q[/video]

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Yes, really.

I'm not saying Everest is easy, but it is achievable. Some people summit successfully.

I'm not saying military arduous courses are easy, but they are not impossible to pass. Well motivated fit young service people pass them successfully.

My point is don't believe the hype. Look at the person, recognise their achievements/skill, but don't put them on a pedestal.

I can't see how those statements belittle anyones achievements.

I think Bear's achievements speak volumes about what type of man he is, I personally view his Army pedigree as more significant than his summit attempt.

I hope those of you who got a twitch on last night have all had a good night's sleep and wrung your knickers out.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I wonder if it will be similar in approach to the Foreign Legion thing he did years ago? Where the had ex Legionnaires putting them through the Basic Training in the Dessert. That was interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leon-1

Yes, really.

I'm not saying Everest is easy, but it is achievable. Some people summit successfully.

I'm not saying military arduous courses are easy, but they are not impossible to pass. Well motivated fit young service people pass them successfully.

My point is don't believe the hype. Look at the person, recognise their achievements/skill, but don't put them on a pedestal.

I can't see how those statements belittle anyones achievements.

I think Bear's achievements speak volumes about what type of man he is, I personally view his Army pedigree as more significant than his summit attempt.

I hope those of you who got a twitch on last night have all had a good night's sleep and wrung your knickers out.

I disagree, his military pedigree is of no significance at all. As you said there are lots of guys out there that undertake extreme training within the forces. There are also plenty that do the same thing on civvie street. By stating his military pedigree is of more significance you are placing him on a pedestal.

However, it does take a lot of bottle to pull yourself back from three crushed vertebrae, it wouldn't surprise me if he still has pain with it now. Then, a coúple of years down the line to be stood on top of Everest is an achievement, youngest Briton or not (at the time).

This is directed at everyone and not just an individual.

Whether you like the man / his programs or not, he is still due respect for that achievement alone. He is also due respect for the amount of time he has spent raising money for charity.

Bouncing around the British Isles on a jet ski raising money for the RNLI was a decent thing to do, but anyone who has had a spinal / back injury will be able to tell you that you're never clear of the pain or the feeling that it's gonna go without warning. After a day he must have started to hurt, 30 days will have been more than nasty.

I did watch some of the ones where Bear Grylls had the likes of Jonathan Ross and Stephen Fry out and about, you can tell a lot about a person by the way that others react to them.

Before people start thinking I am a "Bear Grylls" fan, I am not, I do however teach survival and bushcraft and this program has got interest for me, if only to see how people react, undoubtedly a lot will be edited for Car Crash TV, but sometimes you can gather more from what's not shown as to that which is.

It will be interesting whether they are allowed to work as a team or as individuals. How they address survival priorities. How long it takes, if they are allowed to work as a group, to break into factions.

Who the leaders start out as, how long they stay as leaders and why they change. Who the dark horses are, there are bound to be some there who'll surprise people.

I won't be an avid viewer, I will however record this to watch at my leisure.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
What leon said, and I also found the series where he took celebs out to be an insight into the man, whether it was Miranda or Jake Gyllenhall, different people got different approaches. I haven't read the blurb for the series so I don't know how much of him we'll see. I'm certain you (collectively) will let us know how it fairs. I don't have a TV, so I'll have to wait to see it.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I dont care what you all say, Stainless steel is better than 01 carbon any day......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE