The Hobbit movie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I saw the movie last week. I enjoyed it.
I haven`t read the book though.
I once began reading Lord of the Rings but stopped after reading about 100 pages as I found it boring (now someone will probably burn me at the stake). It is obvoiusly written by a professor of language.
I enjoyed the films though.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
As the cinemas over here only seem it on in german I viewed it by other means. ( I just can not watch actors I know with dubbed fake voices)

I thought it was really good and would love to see it in English in a big cinema . Hopfully when I come to visit the UK in the new year it will still be on somewhere .

It is different from the lord of the rings films but then so is the Hobbit book, I know it has been slated for stretching it into 3 movies but I am happy to have this film drawn out as it means more time in middle earth , yea

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Actualy, due to a calander change over, no one knows how long Maidhros spent on the cliff.

(Can you tell Im a geek too?)

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
As the cinemas over here only seem it on in german I viewed it by other means. ( I just can not watch actors I know with dubbed fake voices)

I thought it was really good and would love to see it in English in a big cinema . Hopfully when I come to visit the UK in the new year it will still be on somewhere .

It is different from the lord of the rings films but then so is the Hobbit book, I know it has been slated for stretching it into 3 movies but I am happy to have this film drawn out as it means more time in middle earth , yea

You-guys too, with the voice-overs? They do it here too absolutely annoying as if you can't read. I understand the French do it too. :rolleyes:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
You-guys too, with the voice-overs? They do it here too absolutely annoying as if you can't read. I understand the French do it too. :rolleyes:

The French will sometime show a film in the original language with French subtitles, if the film has the letters 'VO' attached to it 'Version Original' then there will be no dubbing.
Voice over or 'synco' is the norm here too, although most new movies will be shown somewhere with subtitles rather than dubbing.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Saw it last night, took my mother out to see it with me just for a change of scenery for her, she got in as an old age pensioner and the whippersnapper ebhind the till let me in as a greybeard as well! Bloody cheek! I'm only 50!!

Anyway we didn't have a choice but to see it in 3D and I wasn't a big fan of that option. The film was pretty damned good all in all. I've not read the books so I had nothing to compare it to. Just felt like it was too long for one sitting and the breakneck action made feel wonr out by the end of it. The special effects were seamless as I would expect and those cinematic vistas and architecture were VERY impressive! But I think I shall prefer seeing this on DVD in regular format other than 3D.

The Goblin king needed a deeper voice in my opinion and I gave up trying to keep track of those dwarfs, though I did see dopey amongst them.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Saw this with my little nephew and absolutely loved it.

I've read the hobbit and this movie is filled with stuff not in the book and I say GREAT... the more "padding" the better, I can't get enough of "middle earth". Peter jackson has not dissapointed thank the lord and the double frame rate is amazing to see during fast paced action. So glad he decided to do a trilogy and not one movie.

This movie has to be viewed on an IMAX screen. The extra £4-5 is nothing compared to the amazing experience you have.

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
One critic called the film "a loveless abomination"... others loved it.
I haven't seen the LOTR films and I'll pass on the Hobbit too.

Posted on my ARMini using NetSurf

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Well worth going, apart from ten minutes, I wasn't bored by any 'Mumbo Jumbo'. Never saw the LOTR films in the cinema but enjoyed the action stuff when they have been on TV.

The Dwarves in the beginning were funny and had good characterisations.

Last edited:

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
I've seen it the HFR was a bit disorientating for me at first it seemed like everyone was sped up but once my eyes and my mind caught up it was fantastic the detail and realism is incredible. I think a lot of people on here don't understand the film industry, the Hobbit wasn't made just for fans of the original books, its made for a wider audience, at the end of the day film is a business and they have to make money.
The LOTR trilogy and the Hobbit films are also adapted from the books, they weren't ever intended to be exactly the same, you'd end up with an impossibly dense film with heavy, long winded dialogue that nobody except Tolkien scholars would want to see, and even they would complain because it would still be different to the image they built in their minds when they were reading it.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I saw it today, I enjoyed it.

Those expecting a film of the book may be disappointed, those happy to see a film which contains elements of the book, cobbled together with bits and pieces from other works and fashioned into a film designed to compliment the existing LOTR films will probably not be.

I didn't see it in 3D, there were some scenes, mainly relating to battles and chases which were obviously stuck in there for the 3d wow factor, I could have lived without these.

Why the rabbit-sled tho', I really don't remember that from the books.

That seemed a bit odd to me to.

Andy Serkis as Gollum was brilliant, he deserves a nod from the various award ceremonies.

New Zealand, as always, looked gorgeous.

:)

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
This is on my 'to watch' list....if its as good as the lord of the rings films then i'll be happy.

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
I think a lot of people on here don't understand the film industry

And why would you think that?
I think they understand the film industry perfectly, but can still dislike their products, independently of why they were made.

Posted on my ARMini using NetSurf

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE