The Hobbit movie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, No true Tolkien fan would want to see The Hobbit turned into a 3 ep 3 hour each trilogy....

(Nor Gollum steal the Show....Thats Smaugs job.)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Yes, No true Tolkien fan would want to see The Hobbit turned into a 3 ep 3 hour each trilogy....

(Nor Gollum steal the Show....Thats Smaugs job.)

Tengu you are as bad as my sister. :)

It gets worse though, according to the movie, Azog the Defiler is alive and well and is personally leading the wargs that surround the dwarfs who have climbed into the trees, also the Witch King of Angmar and all his works were apparently sealed in a tomb that was locked with "powerful spells".

So, as ''true Tolken fans' would know, they are taking quite a few liberties with the story.

As for Smaug stealing the show, he barely makes an appearance in the first film, but may well prove to be magnificent in the second.

:)

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Read Lord of the Rings a couple of years after it was published. So good I would read a bit of the volumes as I walked home from the library. Never understand what is meant by a true fan, I don't wear a badge with "Go Go Frodo" on it or anything of the sort but have re-read it and the Hobbit regularly. Enjoyed the LOTR films and looking forward to seeing The Hobbit this week. Apart from missing Tom Bombadil and Goldberry along with the Fog on Barrow Downs I enjoyed every minute of the first three films and will the next. Certainly would never shout Attercop! or even Old Tomnoddy! at the film makers.

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
Just seen it today , it was a brilliant movie ,I would defo recommend it ,,, Escape into middle earth for few hours ,
yi mi be even meet Gandalf .... cheers

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I've been a Tolkien fan since my early teens and loved the LOTR films, and this one too. As mentioned earlier it's best to view them as a film maker's version of the story, rather than faithful representations.

I'm just waiting for someone to post a thread on the forum asking where they can get a pack like the one used by Bilbo....

Cheers, Michael.

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
I went to see it yesterday with my kids, in 3D.

Having read most of Tolkiens books on middle earth over the years. I wasn't really that surprised at the amount of Poetic Licence that Peter Jackson uses, as he did in the LOTR Trilogy, In this case almost to the point where I wondered if he had actually read The Hobbit. Having said that the C.G.I. scenes were pretty good.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Went yesterday with the wife. Really enjoyed it can't wait for the next two my wife loved it which I was surprised about. The only problem is she wants us to go as elves to this years Fairy fair! I told her that no amount of pointy ears and white silk was going to make her look like Kate Blanchett and she sent me on my own unexpected journey. To the spare room.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I went to see it yesterday with my kids, in 3D.

Having read most of Tolkiens books on middle earth over the years. I wasn't really that surprised at the amount of Poetic Licence that Peter Jackson uses, as he did in the LOTR Trilogy, In this case almost to the point where I wondered if he had actually read The Hobbit. Having said that the C.G.I. scenes were pretty good.

There were Trolls what more do you want

I'm not sure what suprised me more how they managed to fill 3 hours and only get to the bit they did or that I actually quite enjoyed it

could do with loosing a few dwarfs though some clearly failed the jar jar binks audtions

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
I think i'm just getting harder to please with a film adaptation of a book that i've read, Must be an age thing :lmao:.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I thought he did it justice.
I was smitten with Tolkein, as a kid. Although I found the Silmarillion a bit of a chore.
When I was about ten I even use to cast my own armies out of lead, nabbed from my uncles printing firm and make scale models of the characters and battles....
I was bang into my fantasy stuff from about 7 years old. CS Lewis, then Tolkein, Terry Brooks and Piers Anthony....:eek: :lmao:

I hope liking tolkein is acceptable in the playground these days.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I decided that it would be awful years ago, so I didn't go out of my way to see it. I just have. I was right. How peter jackson thought he was doing honour to the books by inventing lots of things to flesh it out into 3 films and camping it up, I will never know. He's invented a part for radagast, who now has a river of bird poo dribbling down his hair and is apparently mentally infirm, real justice to the concept that Tolkien created.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE