Greetings from Italy!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hey guys, I'm lavadoconpirlaney from Italy!
Well...it says I gotta talk a bit about me here so, what can I say...I simply love being outdoors, I started learning stuff about both hiking and [what wasn't yet called] bushcrafting in the scouts when I was a kid, and now that I'm a little bit older I still enjoy being in a forest, lighting a fire, cooking a meal...sleeping under the stars. The simple things, you know.
It's basically as if that makes me feel connected to those days, if you know what I mean. Maybe it's just what I am.

I'm also into foreign languages, I like working with computers, and recently I started adding subtitles to some videos of my friend Pescho Anvi on youtube, you can watch them here if you're interested in some down to earth bushcraft and hiking in the Italian Alps, and maybe some outdoor recipes here and there.
I'm currently working on the 7 vs Wild Italy series, I guess there's a new video coming today, or tomorrow, I'm not sure.

I apologize in advance if I made some mistakes but it can get kind of tiring after you work on it for some hours, especially when your cat walks on your keyboard or decides it's the best place for taking a nap.
Well, I guess that's all for now! See ya!

Last edited:
Reactions: SaraR and Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Benvenuto!

Yes, the cat on the keyboard seems to be an international problem. Probably some kind of conspiracy.

Where do you live exactly?

Man, are you kidding me...? That was my first rucksack...! They gave me one when I was 12 and I still have it! I remember it destroying my shoulders but I was so proud of carrying it since it's basically a slight evolution from the ones used during WW2.
The name used in the caption is incorrect though, that was the tactical backpack issued to the army in the 70s and the 80s, whereas the Alpini's one was a bit different.
It was usually referred to as "Alpini's rucksack" because of its shape and the 2 pockets in the front.
It's quite heavy and pretty sturdy, you could carry rocks with it, but the shoulder straps have no padding.
It can be locked with a loop chain latch system which can be kinda fiddly, I guess it was used to avoid people stealing your stuff in the barracks. Otherwhise you can just close it with its straps.
I can take some pics if you want.

...it's kinda funny to think about these backpacks today that people use to cut their toothbrush to shave 2 grams.

Oh, I'm from Sardinia by the way,

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Oh, that's funny!
While I play in the forum here I eat some very thin bread that looks in the first view like a staple of dry lasagne and it's made in Sardinia, called "Pane Carasau Traditionale".
No idea where my brother picked it up.

:thankyou:

So, the real mountain troop rucksack of that era is this here and the other one was given to every other soldier?

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Oh. Your rucksack is far cheaper in Germany than in Italy. That's weird!

What do you think how many litres capacity does it have?

I'm not sure about that one, see the Alpini's tactical backpack was this:

Whereas the Alpini's large capacity rucksack (the one that looked pretty much like mine) had a pocket in the center, two the sides and most importantly it had a metal frame on the back.

The difference was that mountain troops were still supposed to walk, whereas at that point infantry troops were motorized, so they had a squared sack to keep their personal effect and the tactical one for 24h operations.
About the capacity, I guess it might be roughly a 50 lt, maybe?
Let's see. The one on the left is the tactical and the one on the right is the squared, of course.

See it for reference next to a 36 lt modern backpack

Oh. Your rucksack is far cheaper in Germany than in Italy. That's weird!
What's funny is that in the 90s they used to sell them super cheap in the street markets, and they were still new, since that model had just been replaced by the army...it was something like getting one for 4 £.
Now that they have become trendy and more difficult to find, people sell them at a higher price online, as they do with every military surplus, for example they do the same with the British army bashas.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Thank you!
Very interesting!

Do you own the stainless steel shaving mirror? I would be interested to know the weight, dimensions and especially if it really works well.

Currently it looks as if they discovered their barbaric heritage and decided to sell them all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE