Tea Leaf or Tea Bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tea Leaf or Tea Bag?

• Leaf Only Please

Votes: 38 14.7%
  • Bags for me

Votes: 109 42.1%
  • Bi and proud of it

Votes: 89 34.4%
  • Abstain thank you

Votes: 23 8.9%

• Total voters

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Earl Grey; English Breakfast Tea; Green Tea; (all in bags), loose leaf great but too much of a bother in the woods. Alternatively, Coffee / sugar / cream.

One of the reasons I'm attracted to tea is that I can drink it without cream but I don't care much for coffee without cream. Traveling light, a can of slowly spoiling cream is not a valid alternative, so I'm forced to use powdered "creamers" and they are not a gourmet delight.

elhig

Jan 31, 2010
glasgow
loose tea when I'm home and bags when I'm out.

Gotta be green tea though, can't stand the normal stuff ;-)

Jakata

Dec 16, 2009
Northampton
Teabags but only Tetly.

More of a coffee drinker, happy to drink most coffee, filter at home, instant away. Really enjoying the nescafe espresso at the moment

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
The one advantage of a tea bag, even if you dont drink the stuff, is that it comes with its own firelighting kit!

Tear open the bag, put leaf in mug, take bag and shred with the fine string and card tab, add to twigs strike steel, light fire, boil water and make tea. Simples! ;-)

Sandsnakes

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Must admit prefer leaf, but tend to use bags.

Ceylon, and Assam mostly.

Use a tea ball as well, so if we come across a new tea, can try it straight away.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Just made one of the best tasting pots of tea I've ever had...

I used a Brown Betty tea pot, circa 1976, some six month old Asda 'value' loose leaf tea (64p for 250g - bargain!) but most importantly the water was boiled in the Kelly on the back doorstep using some of the remains of an old larch lap fence panel. Beats any tea bag hands down... and not just because I reek of woodsmoke and soot :D

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Just made one of the best tasting pots of tea I've ever had...

I used a Brown Betty tea pot, circa 1976, some six month old Asda 'value' loose leaf tea (64p for 250g - bargain!) but most importantly the water was boiled in the Kelly on the back doorstep using some of the remains of an old larch lap fence panel. Beats any tea bag hands down... and not just because I reek of woodsmoke and soot :D

You strained them through your shirt? :D

That'd create a distinct flavour right enough.

Liam

Tricia

Apr 30, 2010
Highlands
I drink both coffee and tea, and prefer loose tea since I seem to be able to make the tea stronger with it than by using bags (if I want to drink it hot, that is!)
I have one of those wee metal strainers my grannie used, that is like an enclosed teaspoon, you load the bowl up with loose leaves and dunk it in the water and swirl it a bit to get it going, leave a few minutes and voila, good cup of tea.
When camping, it`s water boiled in a can with the loose leaves added straight into it, add your milk and sugar to taste and stir, the leaves settle near the bottom and you just drink away, the odd loose leaf, midge, smoky flavour and all.
(as my dad used to say upon picking midgies out of his can, "extra protein". )
I think you can find the teaspoon leaf holder thingy on eBay, under vintage kitchenalia usually ;)

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
I prefer coffee myself but I do enjoy a good cup of strong tea but bags work for me I am just plain lazy that way or I have hot chocolate to.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Bags at home mostly, in the field and at events I use leaf and a tea-ball
I use one bag for two cups, either because I'm making two at a time or I'll put the once used bag in a saucer and use it again next cup (coz I'm mean like that :D). With loose tea I'll use less because I only put in what I need for one cup.

Also I don't always have real milk with me when I'm out and I'd rather drink leaf black then bags (don't ask me why but bags taste bad to me without milk).....as for 'whitener' [shudder]

Forget your poncy Earl Grey, Dargealing(or however you spell it) or anything 'finest', Basics/Value tea puts hairs on your chest.......and tannin on your teeth, mug, spoon and anything else it comes near (handy if you're re-enacting or larping, you get In-Character teeth )

Last edited:

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
For those who prefer loose tea, I noticed that Poundstretcher are selling those "tea ball" tongs for 99p today.

Just a heads up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE