Tea Leaf or Tea Bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tea Leaf or Tea Bag?

• Leaf Only Please

Votes: 38 14.7%
  • Bags for me

Votes: 109 42.1%
  • Bi and proud of it

Votes: 89 34.4%
  • Abstain thank you

Votes: 23 8.9%

• Total voters

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Are you a tea leaf or tea bag person?

At home it has to be leaf brewed in a pot but in the bush I enjoy tea bags in individual foil wrappers. Not very environmentally friendly I know but I need to keep them waterproof. I pack them out of course.

I’d like to brew up leaf in the bush but really only do that if there were others around and it was at least two or three days in a camp and that does not happen that often.

So what are you? Do you have a preference or are you bi ?

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
For me tea is tea, but I do like a good cup of leaf.... When I was working the "J" I used to keep some (leaf) in a small dry dag in the top of my pack and brew up at random as required... but I was given large Qty of bags too... so I just used what I could put my hands on first...

Just my two cents...

Cheers mate...

Karl

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I have to admit that tea is tea to me - a long as it's a bog std breakfast type tea (none of the fancy rubbisg for me!) but I do tend to use bags as i'm lazy! :eek:

I know bags take ages to rot so i either burn opr pack them out. I really should get a good strainer (I hate the unnexpected glug of leaves when I forget and drain the last mouthfull) and then i'll start to use leaves ;)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I prefer loose leaf tea.
I carry a small tea caddy with me in the woods and a small metal mesh tea ball. after it's brewed I can discard the leaves without worrying about them not biodegrading.
Plus I find leaf tea tastes better.

Tubbyfraser

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 4, 2008
Nowhere
Leaf at home for me (Ringtons Northumbrian Blend) but have been known to take bags when out and about. Much prefer the taste of leaf brewed in a pot but due to being in the wild with folks who dunk a tea bag in a mug of hot water, I haven't always the time to indulge.

Graeme

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
At home I use both, but prefer leaf tea, spend extra and you will see a difference (Fortnum & Mason Darjeeling is wonderful). Full cream milk in tea, semi skimmed for cooking etc

When camping I use instant tea and Nestle sweetened condensed milk, not really tea, but its a great drink on a cold morning :)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Loose at home when the time and bags when out, although ive managed to squeese a t strainer into my brew kit now so ive got no excuse.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Again, leaf tea at home, tea bags in the bush. Since I take milk in it and the powdered stuff isn't that great, it hardly seems worth worrying about the tea...

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Loose tea, tea bags, tea power from compo, any thing just so long as some makes it for me. Always tastes better if some else makes it !!

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Tea bags normally but I tried some instant white from a jar someone had, when I was out recently and was pleasantly surprised it's similar to the real thing and quite refreshing.

Uncle Alvah

Sep 27, 2008
Duncan NC
I suspect you folks might turn your noses up at my tea preparations.
I've drank tea since I was a kid(thats been awhile!) but I'm essentially a "tea 'possum", meaning that pretty much any old tea bag drowned in some hot water will suffice.
Not very well versed in the types of tea or the pecularities involved in making a superior cup of tea I'm afraid.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
i use tea bags if just having a brew on my own at work or home, but i have a few different tea blends from a shop in covent garden for that special treat.

i take teabags out with me, and powdered milk. i also have a thing to put loose tea in for a one cup brew i take but dont often use it

im quite partial to a bit of orange pekoe tea

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
Yorkshire Tea for Hard Water.
Bags are fine by me just so long as they are paper.

There is a posh coffee bar near me that has posh chunky tea in about 15 flavours, but it's in plastic ultra fine mesh tea bags...... they look like paper, but you can't rip'em. I tried.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE