Swedish Army work/ski boots?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Anybody out there know anything about old Swedish Army kit?

Day-dreaming about going to the Arctic again with the Sub-Zero Crew:rolleyes:, I'm thinking about getting my own boots and was interested by the (very good) article on Paul Kirtley's blog - http://paulkirtley.co.uk/2012/how-to-dress-for-the-far-north-on-a-budget/
-that recommends the old Swedish army ski march boots. So I was up for a buy when I saw these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260987653115?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 - on the bay. They look the same, but these are described as work boots that have a steel toecap, which I would have thought was a bad idea for the serious cold.:confused:

Anyway, can anybody help me out here, please?

BTW, I have one of the British Army balaclava's mentioned in the blog, that anyone can have for an SAE - PM me if interested.

Cheers, Ted W

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Looks like a Swedish set of 'Toe-tectors'. Great for wearing in the garage/hangar, but in the snow maybe not so much. I'm happy with my Lundhags and neoprene overboots.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Ihad a pair years ago, was going to put a pic, but photobucket has changed its upload goal posts and i cant make any sense of it(wish websites would leave stuff alone) anyway they were ok boots, theres a indentation at the back for attaching ski's and the leather was ok even though they were quite old they have a leather sole and mine had seg's in them.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Mesquite, "yes"!

A bit of further research turned up this on Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Army-boots.jpg - which seems to reinforce the ski boot element, if they are the same boots.

So, I've ordered a pair in my usual size and will see what they are like - they'll do as "toe-tectors" if nothing else. If they seem good, I'll get a bigger pair to fit over a thicker insole and 2 pairs of socks. We shall see - review in due course.

Ted W

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
I'm all for Old School tough surplus, but those old swedish boots
are just too old and demanding for my taste. If you're lucky
you can find a good pair and become friends with them, but
the opposite is just as likely.

There are newer m/90 winter boots available, brand new, for 40 £
if you look for them and they are really amazing kit.

520045784410054.jpg

You can use them with the old swedish skies, they are well insulated
and if you buy large enough boots to use two pairs of socks or even
a foot cloth in them they will keep you warm no mater how cold it is.

Well made, comforable, warm and durable.

http://www.soldf.com/kanga90.html

Marschkänga = March Boot, the summer version
Vinterkänga = Vinter Boot

Last edited:

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
Yep, I know it's in swedish, but I posted the link to let you see the pics.

With a bit of adventurous imagination you might guess what the info charts
says, and if not you might run google translate at it.

In time and if there's any intrest in it I will translate relevant parts of it.

What I wanted to say was that there is a modern, real winter boot, capable
of being used with skiis, well isolated and rugged, for only 40 £.

Here are some places where you can find it:

http://www.militart.se/product.html?product_id=41&category_id=15
http://www.billingedalen.se/

Unfortunately I now can't find the the really cheap web pages.
I've bought several pairs at different places and paid SEK 395
for them. I'll have to search a little more...

forestwalker

I think I mentioned in on Pauls blogpost: he best actual winter boot was the old "felt" boot, basically canvas over wool felt, with leather reinforcements. Sized for two-3 pairs of real wool socks you would be golden in anyting below -10 C or so (the canvas will tend to get wet in higher temps). ISTR that they are dirt cheap, too.

But I also agrere with Ivanhoe that there are better options, even if they are a bit more expensive (I have never worn the m90 boot, so I have no idea how the are, probably quite ok if the rumors I have seen are true). My first choice would be to buy something like the Luddan felt boot and replace the old ski bindings with Tegsnäs or Olskogens. Pricier than the "m90 and be done with it" option (the boots run about UKP 100 IIRC), but those Luddan boots are lovely in the cold.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Thanks, guys. The mukkluk style boots seem hard to get over here - and would have been disastrously wet on my recent Norway trip, so I'm wary of that. The M90's could be a good, cost-effective option though.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
They are fantastic for the price Ted, I replyed to that post by Paul, as Barry Smith ( member on here ) mentions me in the intro.
We were on the first BcUK arctic trip together and he is a very fine fella indeed!!
These boots do not have a steel toe, they are heavy but the build quality is fantastic.
I have the pair you have ordered and the all leather boot.
If they were a bit wider I would have worn mine on the last Norway trip ( I have REALY wide feet! )
For the money IMHO you can not beat them!
Let me know what you think when they turn up!
Hope you are well mate.
Chris.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
OK, the boots arrived this morning and were, as I'd come to expect, the ski/march boots. They don't have a steel toe-cap (so I complained to the seller who gave me a full refund and told me to keep the boots!:D) but are certainly sturdy, with a robust leather upper and solid looking rubber foot part, Lundhags-style. Condition was well-used; the uppers are scuffed but OK but the soles are quite worn and I'm not sure the remaining tread is adequate for yomping in the snow. They were supposed to be size 8.5 but seem more like 9s, so there's room for 2 pairs of socks but not a thick insole. Looks like I've got me some more winter dog-walking boots, and the M90 Vinterkanga retained that cherished first spot on the wish list!
Thanks all for the advice & assistance.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
If you are after the really old ski boots, contact these guys they have different versions of them and they are around £10-20 and they also have the old version of the overboot http://www.bbfab.se/skor/skor.htm

There is many oprions when it comes to winterboots and in the end it depends on what you are doing, skiing and pulling a pulk or snowshoeing or just playing around and also if you are having an external heat source that makes it possbible to dry out liners. There is also the option of buying a modern overboot that will give you the extra insulation over you normal boot wich might be good when being more inactive. Finnish Nokian makes good wellies with removable liners that has been tried and tested for many years and might be a cheaper option to the lundhags.

Personally the best way to keep warm feet i smovement, warm hat and keeping your feets dry by changing socks often.

forestwalker

If you are after the really old ski boots, contact these guys they have different versions of them and they are around £10-20 and they also have the old version of the overboot http://www.bbfab.se/skor/skor.htm

http://www.bbfab.se/skor/p2.htm shows the "felt" boot I ws talking about. Sized for 2-3 pairs of thick socks they will work if the Jokkmokk trip that is talked about comes through. Just to be clear, my thick socks are almost 15 mm high when put flat on the floor (i.e. double layer). Two of those, and perhaps also one of regular sock inside them and you should stay warm. But they are fabric and felt, so temps around freezing is their bane (then the Nokian wellie shines)

There is many oprions when it comes to winterboots and in the end it depends on what you are doing, skiing and pulling a pulk or snowshoeing or just playing around and also if you are having an external heat source that makes it possbible to dry out

I agree here. I love my Nokians this time of year, but in my experience they tend to get damp inside even if you take out the liners every night, at least after a few days. But I have fairly sweaty feet. a VB style system might help with that, but I dislike that option on pure, biased principle.

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Time to resurrect this thread, as I'm seeking some Swedish Winter leather boots, aka Vinterkängor m/90.

I've had a couple of leads, found some in blocket.se, but the guy said shipping would be over 500 SEK (~50 UKP) ! There's also a guy running a business www.höglandskompaniet.se, who seems to have some, but is not responding to emails.

Sadly Mike and Nike (bbfab.se) seem to have ceased trading, they seem to have had all sorts of interesting kit.

If anyone can give me any better leads or assist in any other way I'd be very grateful.

Andy

PS. My normal boot size is 47, I *think* I should be getting a 305 boot, advice on this welcomed. I've summarised what sites I've checked for vinterkanga below:

www.billingedalen.se 42,43,44,45 only

www.militart.se 230,245 only

www.recon.se None listed, no int. shipping

armygross.se None listed

faltbutiken.se None listed

www.surplusbuy.se None listed

www.garderoben.se None listed (only summer boots in 2 sizes)

www.höglandskompaniet.se My size listed, but not responding to email

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE