M77 Norwegian army boots sizing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Triple Woolen Socks.

I guess that's the point.

Norwegian socks, not office socks.

That's one size more.

After a few kilometres you get half a size more too.

During WW2 our soldiers had no problems with perfectly fitting boots everywhere, but they got a lot of problems in Russia. The Russians had boots 1 1/2 size larger and succeeded.

Last edited:

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
Neeh, I really think I bought one size too big.
I'll tell you, because I have a size 43 on it's way now.
I make the same foto's as above with the size43. as soon as they arrive.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
Ok, to me the foto looks the same, the difference is that with size 44 the boot touched the top of my foot where the hooks start, and didn't touch my toes.
With the size 43, it seems that I have about the same space (a thumbwith) at my heel, and at the front the boot touched the top of my foot where the hooks start, and my toes touch the nose of the boot.
So, I think that when I brake in these boots they will be ok.
you can see the difference in length from the inner sole.

If any of you has another experience, please let me know?
IMG-8660.jpg

Size 43 my feet with insole 43.
IMG-8661.jpg

size 44 my feet with insole 44.
IMG-7115.jpg

Last edited:

Coastal73

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2021
Cawston Okanagan
Hello there. I purchased a pair of M77 Boots in size 50. They are a single layer leather boot. I added a gel insole and can wear two pairs of socks comfortably. I got mine from Varusteleka. I have seen that there are a couple makers of these boots. I contacted a couple manufacturers of Scandinavian boot manufacturers after a pair of M90 Swedish Summer Marching boots failed after one afternoon of wearing. Apparently they were surplus and made decades ago and the PU midsole crumbled and ruptured the heel. Protex AB the manufacturer makes a decent boot and 3 different versions. They have a Helicopter pilot version and it has a rubber toe cap to protect the toe leather. Has lacing holes instead of the speed lacing hooks as well. I like the M77 boots and have worn them daily this winter. They do fit big as well to leave abit of room for insoles and thick socks for Winter. Protekshop.no has the boots as well as Varusteleka.com . Skol

Reactions: Erbswurst

Coastal73

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2021
Cawston Okanagan
Hello there. I am really enjoying my M77 boots. I recently ordered the Helicopter Pilot model as it was on sale on the Protex website. I got a pair for my daughter for hiking. I have struck out twice with the Swedish M90 as the boots were made decades ago and the PU midsole has rotted away. One time use and the heals ruptured. As for the Norweigen M77 I have no issues and like the larger size so I can use thick insoles in winter and also have the ability to wear real wool socks to insulate and protect from blisters and the cold. Here are the M90 Swedish boots after one short use.
GetAttachmentThumbnail

Last edited:

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
Hello there. I am really enjoying my M77 boots. I recently ordered the Helicopter Pilot model as it was on sale on the Protex website. I got a pair for my daughter for hiking. I have struck out twice with the Swedish M90 as the boots were made decades ago and the PU midsole has rotted away. One time use and the heals ruptured. As for the Norweigen M77 I have no issues and like the larger size so I can use thick insoles in winter and also have the ability to wear real wool socks to insulate and protect from blisters and the cold. Here are the M90 Swedish boots after one short use.
GetAttachmentThumbnail
I think you need to redo the foto?

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
no problem.
your suggested soles are good Idea, but expect completely different feeling in your boot.
had the same thing with Meindl desert fox.
regret my choice, only because they are less comfortable than with factory sole now.

IMG-7439.jpg

IMG-7439.jpg

Coastal73

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2021
Cawston Okanagan
no problem.
your suggested soles are good Idea, but expect completely different feeling in your boot.
had the same thing with Meindl desert fox.
regret my choice, only because they are less comfortable than with factory sole now.

IMG-7439.jpg

IMG-7439.jpg
Looks like the #1375 Bifida Cup Sole? Was quoted $150 to use a Vibram cube 130 or 122 Foura 2. I have asked the Cobbler I had sent my boots to for the exact model as he said only one version would work with my M90 Swedish boots. I have seen some surplus army boot Vibram cup sole units that may work, I will see if the fellow gives me the info or I may have to wait to see the finished rebuilt boots. I recognize the comfort will not be the same as the original PU foam and thin rubber outsole was really sweet wearing boot! Damn shame that the decades of hydrolysis and oxidation destroys the soft cushioning of the PU midsole. Boots look new but one short walk and they were toast! Actually tried Gorilla clear glue on one boot and Shoe Goo on the other to see if the repairs hold. Thinking not as the foam will be crumbling away under the rubber outsole and will delaminate sooner or later.

Last edited:

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
I read recently that the EU made it a law that things plastic and rubber need to be biodegradable, have a look at car tires, It is already some years 15-20 or so, that car tires perish within 6-10 years, and need to be changed for safety.
have a look at the plastic bags, tarps etc. serviceability time, somewhere from six months to a year, and then they fall into pieces, I assume now it's the same with shoe soles?!, render perfectly good boots useless within a few years!
Well, there we are with our throwing away society...

Coastal73

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2021
Cawston Okanagan
I read recently that the EU made it a law that things plastic and rubber need to be biodegradable, have a look at car tires, It is already some years 15-20 or so, that car tires perish within 6-10 years, and need to be changed for safety.
have a look at the plastic bags, tarps etc. serviceability time, somewhere from six months to a year, and then they fall into pieces, I assume now it's the same with shoe soles?!, render perfectly good boots useless within a few years!
Well, there we are with our throwing away society...
Tarnation anyways! I spoke with a manufacturer Arbestko AB and the M90 service boots are warranted for one year! The boots I bought were surplus and were new and never used. The Polyurethane midsole had degraded so badly that after one short use the boots were unusable. Makes me ****** as the M59 Swedish boots I bought were made in 1964 and are built to last and then be rebuildable for many years of use. Sad how the times change and products are engineered to become obsolete or have a short service life so as to be binned and replaced! Crappy way to live and make things to be planned obsolescence. M90 summer boots on left. M59 Tretorn made 1964 on the right. M90 boots when new are comfortable and light weight. Polyurethane midsole is warranted for a period of one year, after that all bets are off. Have two surplus pairs that were ruined after one short walk of 1km or so. Times change, materials change but quality should be for the lesser.

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
Yep, for crying that is!

Another thing I thought of, maybe it's possible (If you love them to bits ohoh!:)) it is possible to ask a cobbeler or somebody at "whites", "Nick's" or so (they seem to build traditional work-shoes in the states) to convert your boots to a boot with a goodyear or zwischengenahte (German) soles, I guess that will cost a fortune, but is quality! you understand? It's more like they attached the sole from your M59 boot.

Coastal73

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2021
Cawston Okanagan
Yep, for crying that is!

Another thing I thought of, maybe it's possible (If you love them to bits ohoh!:)) it is possible to ask a cobbeler or somebody at "whites", "Nick's" or so (they seem to build traditional work-shoes in the states) to convert your boots to a boot with a goodyear or zwischengenahte (German) soles, I guess that will cost a fortune, but is quality! you understand? It's more like they attached the sole from your M59 boot.
Yes I sent the boots to Vince Devito shoes a Certified Red Wing boot repair place for repairs. I asked them to see if they could rebuild them with a leather sole and stitched welted construction. They said the design of the boots was glued in construction so they recommended the Vibram cup sole. I have since found a couple different service boots with welted stitched leather soles so I will be happy with those. One is an old boot from Sweden probably 1940’s

. Actually still have leather soles. One type has the rubber heel. May get a skin of rubber glued on the bottom so the leather doesn’t wear down too fast. Will see how they fit and how they feel walking in.

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
I don't know Coastal73's preferences, but he might even like the sladmingers you recommended me? They are a sturdy very nice quality boot.
(Erbswurst, maybe you can put the link here? I lost it.)

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The site isn't available currently.
I already informed them about this.

It is
Schuhjaeger.at
Schladminger, Modell 100

That's a traditional made middle high allround hiking boot.

In my opinion a bargain.
Small maker in northern Italy, just one shop in Austria who sells them.
They cut out every nonsense costs and just sell the high end product directly.

Coastal73

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2021
Cawston Okanagan
I wouldn't invest even more money into rubbish boots as long as quality military boots are available on the market:

Steinkogler even offers them in individual measures!

Thank you for the link. Biggest size offered in stock boots seems to be 47. I wear at least 48/49. Will have to message them and see if they offer larger sizes. I have since picked up a couple more pairs of boots as I realized the old stock M90 boots would be expensive to fix and not a good buy unless they were newly made and even then the PU midsole does not seem worth the comfort if it is to rot away in the coming future. One year warantee seems a pittance when longevity is desired. Thank you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE