Converting a Swedish army stove to gas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 17, 2010
Southampton
Hi there.
After lots of hemming & hawing I gave in to pressure from the Eldest Daughter and invested in a jetboil last year.

However, despite the fact that it's very good (at boiling water) I still wanted the versatility of my Swedish army stove. I wanted to be able to heat water for washing (gasp) to be able to simmer stuff, boil, fry, bake. To cook!
So, if only I could use my Trangia gas burner in the army stove.....

Without buggering either of them about...

The major stumbling block, I decided, was finding a nut for the bottom of the burner, to attach it to whatever device of cunningness I came up with. A rummage in the box of 'might come in handy and despite not knowing what it is I won't throw it away cos' it's shiny box' (you know we all have one) sorted that.

Then the measuring started.

To sum up, I found that if I attached the burner to a plate & sat the stove over it, the perfect set-up would be achieved.

All I had to do was find a piece of scrap 3mm ally plate (an old DIY tax-disc holder in my case) drill and counter-bore it, cut a notch for pipe clearance and source three feet for when using on a flat surface.
A quick field test (OK, garden test) and it works!! Boil times almost as good as the jetboil for similar volumes of water - a lot quicker than the meths burner - but that wasn't the main aim.
I have more versatility and more heat control. That's what I wanted. Anyway, have a look at the pictures and see if you fancy having a go yourself. It could give your old Swedish army stove a new lease of life!!

Now, how do you post pictures on this thing?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE