Survival Kit Tins or Containers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Roy's Badger

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2005
Kernow
Shadow Walker said:
The kit that you carried in your tin “very loosely” covers the survival priorities:
(Protection, Location, Water, Food)
My current employment depends on having the knowledge, Equipment & will-power to survive. Space is paramount, but so is surviving a live hunter force & sustaining life.

Any c*** can be uncomfortable, but only a fool is unprepared.

Jason

Hmm... Shadow Walker...

methinks you have blown cover- Oxford... military survival priorities... hunter force. FREAK? Hope the bottom inspectors aren't reading this! Anyway, all very interesting, but how many people get chased thru the woods by a hunter force on their weekends off? :D :confused: Think you may be getting away from why this thread was started... you obviously need to carry a survival tin, but all I was asking, if you don't need to, why bother? I agree with Adi Fiddler and Lignum Vitaes take on all this... take what you actually need!

Roy's Badger

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2005
Kernow
Thanks Shadow Walker..

I'm not sure that being chased thru the woods by a 'hunter force' is the chief concern of most normal people, so you may be getting away from the facts... all I'm saying is consider whether you actually NEED a survival tin, or, as Adi shows, can your needs be better served with a more appropriate layout..? And, have you just 'outed' yourself as a 'FREAK'....?

Greywolf

Forager
Jun 5, 2005
East Riding of Yorkshire
blown cover? Oxford? military survival priorities? hunter force? FREAK? bottom inspectors?

WHOOOOOOOSH!!!!

That was the sound of those references going over my head like a red arrows display team :D

I'm following this thread with interest, I'm only just starting out on my Bushcraft journey and all information is useful, even if it doesn't fit with what I need at that moment.

Thanks for the info :D

Greywolf

Brangdon

Jun 25, 2005
Nottingham, UK
Minotaur said:
3. I am planing to have a modular kit system and was wondering if any one has tried this and what are the drawbacks?
It's hard to resist the temptation to make every kit self-contained. There's always the worry that you'll lose your other kits and be left with just one. That said, I do try to design my tins to be complementary to my EDC, with just a little bit of redundancy for things which I really care about. I suppose another problem is that my EDC changes over time and my PSK doesn't always get updated accordingly.

Small tins are useful when you have many small items to carry, just to keep it all together. The trouble I find is that two of the highest survival priorities are shelter and water, and they are intrinsically bulky.

Roy's Badger

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2005
Kernow
I agree. The tin has value for keeping kit together, but as for the practical aspects, I've probably only used it a handful of times, and certainly don't miss it now I don't carry it. The only useful thing I carry with regards to water in my tin is purification tablets (don't be tempted by the condom 'water carrier'- ever tried to fill one...?...with water, I mean....!) :eek:

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Roy's Badger said:
I agree. The tin has value for keeping kit together, but as for the practical aspects, I've probably only used it a handful of times, and certainly don't miss it now I don't carry it. The only useful thing I carry with regards to water in my tin is purification tablets (don't be tempted by the condom 'water carrier'- ever tried to fill one...?...with water, I mean....!) :eek:
Whilst I agree it is an almost entirely useless way to carry water (and IMO should be restricted to its primary purpose :D ) you can fill it with water better from a slow flowing stream if you pop a large marble sized smooth stone inside and hold the end wide open with your fingers, let it sink a little and gather the water by sweeping it upstream slowly. It never catches must water still. If you're going to practice, prepare your explaination carefully beforehand for when your wife catches you trying this in the bath....

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
NickBristol said:
Whilst I agree it is an almost entirely useless way to carry water (and IMO should be restricted to its primary purpose :D ) you can fill it with water better from a slow flowing stream if you pop a large marble sized smooth stone inside and hold the end wide open with your fingers, let it sink a little and gather the water by sweeping it upstream slowly. It never catches must water still. If you're going to practice, prepare your explaination carefully beforehand for when your wife catches you trying this in the bath....

As I understand it, you have a lot more success as a water storage device if you put it in a sock or other cloth bag - some added protection plus a good way of avoiding over filling it. Also, if you inflate it and let it deflate a few times before filling it with water, you'll find it a little less elastic and more likely to take a filling.

Cheers,
Neil

(who, it appears needs to find more time to put them to their primary use...) ;)

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Never been one to use condoms. Instead, I prefer 1 gallon ziploc freezer grade bags. :D They will hold a couple of liters with lots of room to spare and carry easily in a bandana tied to carry it. I've manage to slip one into an Altoids tin kit along with all the other possibles I keep there.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Never been one to use condoms. Instead, I prefer 1 gallon ziploc freezer grade bags. :D They are 26cm X 28cm, compact to carry and will hold a couple of liters with lots of room to spare. Once filled, they carry easily in a bandana tied to hold it. I've manage to slip one into an Altoids tin kit along with all the other possibles I keep there.

Roy's Badger

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2005
Kernow
Looks like my recce skills are fading- thought Shadow dude was a different jase- sorry about the 'freak' comment, different bloke....! Still not sure what being chased thru darkened woods has to do with this thread, mind.....! :D

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I like round tins. Candy tins are good.

thinkround.jpg

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Brangdon said:
It's hard to resist the temptation to make every kit self-contained. There's always the worry that you'll lose your other kits and be left with just one. That said, I do try to design my tins to be complementary to my EDC, with just a little bit of redundancy for things which I really care about. I suppose another problem is that my EDC changes over time and my PSK doesn't always get updated accordingly.

That is sort of what this is about. Due to different world events, I have decided to sort what I carry, and more importantly, why I carry it. Modular is the way to go, I think, because of those events I do not want to leave behind or have confirscated my first aid stuff, torch, or Knife. On the other hand, do I really want to be that far from some headace tables, plasters, a torch, a whistle, rubber gloves, or a CPR mask? The plan is to have a growing EDC, depending on the location or reason used. More importantly to update, restock, and replicate across the board the basics or essentials.

Hence this thread, which has raised some interesting items. A plastic EDC seems like an interresting idea to me, plastic or small keyring whistle, tiny led torch, at least a litre of water, and a pen knife(something with a 1" blade) - basic carry kit for places with Security. Add my leatherman, and a bigger led torch - standard EDC, where I do not expect Security. Going to be more than 20 to 30 minutes away from civilisation, poss. bag with basic cooking, firestarting, first aid, shelter, survival items, and at least a Mora. Need to use my BOB, no running round, what is need is in the BOB or on my person normally, so I just walk out the door.

Brangdon said:
Small tins are useful when you have many small items to carry, just to keep it all together. The trouble I find is that two of the highest survival priorities are shelter and water, and they are intrinsically bulky.

The problem is what are you deciding is a survival situation? I think being trapped on the underground for a few hours because of a power cut, or being forced to walk home because of a bomb threat is a survival situation. If I need shelter and water, it will be covered by my BOB/Ruc contents, not by my EDC, but it does bring up something I mentioned earlier, does there need to be a step between EDC and poss. bag, that covers the need for those items in a city or unexpected situation? For example, a 'wilderness' survival kit with a couple of heavy duty bin bags.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE