Survival Kit Tins or Containers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I am in the process of re-making my survival kits, and I am having weird problems obtaining tins so this thead has three questions in it.

1. What do you use to hold you everyday kit in and where did you get it?

2. I have a kit like the one in SAS Survival handbook, with a small mess tin in it i.e. Brit Army issue. I have seen you can get a small mess tin with lid and was wondering if anyone used this or something else.

3. I am planing to have a modular kit system and was wondering if any one has tried this and what are the drawbacks?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i have a small tobacco tin i use as a survival kit with a few odds and ends in it (scalpel blades, fishing kit, puritabs, candle, waxed+lifeboat maches, flint and striker, snares, strong cord, etc.
then there's my possibles bag with a folding knife, tinder, more matches, paracord, fak, and whatever else i happen to pick up.

a modular survival kit isn't a bad idea. with really important stuff on your person and less vital stuff dispersed through your kit.
try a tobaconnists for tins, also sigg make some aluminium tins that could make a larger kits.

I'm having a total brain fade at the moment, I know I've seen the ones Ray Mears uses to keep his sharpening stones in for sale somewhere online but I can't for the life of me find where. They look ideal for storage of a modular kit as they're a decent size i.e. not too big but not too small either and they're water proof as well

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Motorbike Man said:
I'm having a total brain fade at the moment, I know I've seen the ones Ray Mears uses to keep his sharpening stones in for sale somewhere online but I can't for the life of me find where. They look ideal for storage of a modular kit as they're a decent size i.e. not too big but not too small either and they're water proof as well

I don't know quite what the ones you are looking for are like but are THESE the kind of thing you are looking for?
surfsafe1.jpg

keepitsafe1.jpg

Theres a few more on that site but just about all of them are waterproof, I saw them in Kendal a while ago.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I use these ones for keeping my possibles in, home made waterproof matches, small fire steel a chunk of hacksaw blade, small sharpening stone (DC-3), candle, sewing kit, half a dozen small nails, couple of heavy duty split rings and a very small penknife plus a few other bits & bobs that are not shown, i have another one that i keep my tea bags in (give it a good wash out first), never had them leak and let water in, even when i dropped one in a lake.

Pots.jpg

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Can anyone tell me how secure the lids are on the army boxes above? I presently use "Clip-It's" boxes from Tesco. Very much like a Tupperware type box but with a lid that is held in place by 4 plastic clips, one at each side. Mine are waterproof and pretty tough, but I've still managaed to break a couple and would like something a little stronger. My worry with the army type boxes is that there seems not to be much to stop the lid getting caught and opened when you don't want it to. Oher than that, at 6 for a tenner they look a better deal than the posh jobs (which DO leak... if you go snorkelling with them!).

Brangdon

Jun 25, 2005
Nottingham, UK
Minotaur said:
1. What do you use to hold you everyday kit in and where did you get it?
I have a classic Altoids tin, which I found at a petrol station. Before that I used a tobacco tin, which is the same volume but shorter and thicker. I find the Altoids tin is marginally easier to carry, but less waterproof.

I also have a micro-kit in a smaller tin that used to contain mints. I got it from some tourist sweet shop.

The stuff I rely on most is not in a tin at all; it's on a keyring or loose. Small swiss army knife, Photon torch, whistle, lighter, some chord, and a few other pieces - putting it in a container would make it take more room.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I use a hard cache from ultimate survival and they are really good . They are not just waterproff but float as well !
The company that makes them and thier full product list can be found here . They even do boxes for ipods and pdas.
pumbaa

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I use Altoids tins to hold both minikits and different components of my different kits. To somewhat waterproof them, I wrap duct tape around the seam. Pictured is a round Altoids sours tin that I use for tinder and carry in the shown shoulder bag, that I carry for hiking. I had just finished peeling some fatwood and placed it into the tin with some moss I collected awhile back.

336914-big.jpg

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I've got a pretty sweet kit. I had the tin that my wallet came in, so I polished the lid to as close to a mirror as I could and spent 8 hours getting down to the nitty-gritty of what I need in a survival kit. (It fits perfectly into the chest pocket of my anorak) I packed, re-packed, tore it apart again and again, and at the moment, I'm completely satisfied with it. I might post a picture of it one of these days.

Two things I'm really proud of:

1) The amount of kit I was able to stuff into it.

2) A small block of relatively-new RCAF survival rations. (Courtesy of a friend in the Forces) The emergency aircraft rations came in a green bag, with 6 blocks of candies, each candy broken up into 3 pieces. So, it's enough food for 48 hours. I still have a few of the complete bags, but I opened one, and put one block (3 pieces) into this kit. It's enough for a small meal.

Maybe I'll post pictures of these too!

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Longstrider said:
Can anyone tell me how secure the lids are on the army boxes above? I presently use "Clip-It's" boxes from Tesco. Very much like a Tupperware type box but with a lid that is held in place by 4 plastic clips, one at each side. Mine are waterproof and pretty tough, but I've still managaed to break a couple and would like something a little stronger. My worry with the army type boxes is that there seems not to be much to stop the lid getting caught and opened when you don't want it to. Oher than that, at 6 for a tenner they look a better deal than the posh jobs (which DO leak... if you go snorkelling with them!).

The boxes i have are great, i have never ever had a problem with the lids coming off, they are indeed very secure, they click on nice and firm, and when you take the lid off they go with a lovely pop, never had or felt the need to add additional securing measures to them.

Don't forget they used to house NBC kit for the military, they are top quality and at 6 for a tenner, you really cannot go wrong :)

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I just figured I'd say that when I get home from Psychology today, I'll do my best to remember to photograph and post a couple pictures of my RCAF survival rations that I was given. (I posted about it earlier in this thread..yesterday I think)

They're quite cool!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE