Stoping Smoking HELP PLEASE

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
If I'm honest mate, I think it's all in your head, you've just got to conquer it! My father started smoking when he was 11, when he was 45 he just decided he was going to stop so he did, just like that. When I asked him how he had found it so easy he just said:

"All this addiction stuff is psychological, part of the reason people find it hard to quit is that everyone tells us it is. Everyday people thrust adverts at us telling us that with this new patch it won't be so difficult. Well what if it isn't difficult at all and we're all just making a mountain out of a mole hill because we've convinced ourselves it's hard."

Think about it, and good luck :D

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I stopped some years ago, and glad I did, congrats for doing it.. I avoided areas where I ususally had a smoke, or went areas where smoking was not possible, I went running, swimming, visited friends who didnt smoke, the most useful thing I found (for me) was to stop salting my food, stopped eating meat, stopped eating anything from a tin, not for any special health reason, I found I was missing all those things and concentrating on the diet, that I didnt miss the smokes... I beleive finding the motovator for you is the main thing, then you can do it, anything else helps to keep a person on track, also remember a relapse is not a collapse.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I too went cold turkey, and also quit because I wanted too (Having a baby on the way was a strong motivator). Its damm hard for the first couple weeks but after that it gets easier.

My brother quit last year and he found the book by Alan Carr (Not the comedian) to help.

All the best in your endevour to quit and well done all who have

Craig

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Its takes a while to realise that ciggies arent nice, they dont relax you(stimulant), they dont taste nice, they dont smell nice and you dont need them, your siimply addicted to the chemicals they contain. Once you get your head round that its a little easier. The moods wont get any better for a few days but they WILL get better every day. I quit with patches two years ago.
Good luck you can do it and if not this time then next time just dont give up giving.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Oddly enough it's 1 year, 1 month, 1 week and 1 day since I stopped. I'd tried all sorts but eventually forked out the dosh and went to an Allen Carr brainwashing session. It worked for me.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I gave up cold turkey 18 months ago, it has been bloody hard at times the only way i have been able to do it is by having something that absorbs my attention COMPLETELY.

For me it has been a mixture of bushcrafting, knife making and my new allotment but my mate (who gave up at the same time as me) swears by the gym and his new martial art where he can let go of his anger at training (on the bags not people)

as they say mate its strokes for folks and i'm sure that you'll find your remedy eventually

just keep on keeping on is all i can say!

Dave

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Glad it helped wingstoo.

I lost another good friend to Cancer last month. It took his leg two years ago. Then his lungs and spine. Horrible way to die. His wife watched him die by inches over the course of about a thousand days.

40 a day for 25 years here. Thats well over a hundred grand. But it isn't the money, its the slow, dignity robbing death,

Red

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
i`ve given up for 9 days so far....and the cravings have gone.....if only i knew it would be this easy years ago

Early days, but stick at it, it gets worse before it gets better, the mouth ulcers are about three months in as the smoke keeps the mouth sterile, you will wonder why you gave up when they start, but stick at it through the pain, it is worth it in the long term.

I

IBrown

I gave up 3 yrs ago, what helped me was, I like flyfishing and i wanted better gear so i put the money i would of spent on fags in a jar. By the end of the first year I had a new Orvis rod and reel and a New Pair of Waders. 2nd year I took my 3 girls to Italy for a weeks holiday. Just think what you could do with the money you wasted and put it in a jar where you can see it mount up. It helped me, I hope it helps you.
Good luck and keep going
All the Best
Ian

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I wouldn't say I smoked a lot (unless on the beer) but I do enjoy it.

That's my problem, I don't personally waste a great deal of money on them, so wouldn't save much.

To my mind it's better to enjoy what you like while you're here rather than just existing for a few more years.

Sorry Gary,not much help am I ?

One thing for sure though if you really want to do it, that's the main thing that'll make you.

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I work for a cancer charity. Commonest diagnosis for our terminally ill patients? Lung cancer. Many of them are still smoking, though they can hardly breathe. They need continuous oxygen, but can't have it because of the explosion risk since they haven't stopped smoking.

Most days the morning starts with notification of yet another patient who has died. Usually half a dozen or so. As a motivational tool, it works for me.

I wish you very well indeed.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Most days the morning starts with notification of yet another patient who has died. Usually half a dozen or so. As a motivational tool, it works for me.

Harvestman, I apologise profusely but....:lmao:

Sorry...

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Oops, bad timing on my part. I had about 7 changes of mind about posting that one. Apologies to anyone that it offended, or upset. Working in the environment that I do, one can get a bit blase about things some times.

I suppose I was trying to say what everyone knows, which is that smoking is bad for your health.

Excuse me whilst I put a lid on this hole I've dug for myself... :sad6:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Oops, bad timing on my part. I had about 7 changes of mind about posting that one. Apologies to anyone that it offended, or upset. Working in the environment that I do, one can get a bit blase about things some times.

I suppose I was trying to say what everyone knows, which is that smoking is bad for your health.

Excuse me whilst I put a lid on this hole I've dug for myself... :sad6:

Mate, it was just that one sentence.

I have many friends who are nurses and i'm ex police,it just leaped out in that black humour way that get's us through the misery.;)

What you said made perfect sense in the first instance.

If any offence is being taken it'd be from my posts.:eek:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
For what it's worth here's my two pennorth.
I gave up after burying my brother in Portugal about 5 years ago.Not sure if his death was smoking related or not
but it was the hardest week of my life trying to find something to say to his wife and two kids.During that week I guess I
must have smoked four or five hundred cigarettes as I was just sat around drinking coffee or aguardent and stressed out.
When I got back to the uk I bought some patches ; enough for a month I think , and never bought any more fags.I take lots
of exercise and buy lots of toys and take my family out to eat once a week.None of those things made me give up but they all
helped me to stay off the fags.Good luck and well done ; the step you have already taken is the big one.The rest will come.Try
not to get too down about the moods : they don't last forever and those who care about you will understand.Stay chilled.
PM me if I can help when I'm online. Simon

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
On my seventh day without a smoke myself. All these grim tales reminds me why i knocked it on the head!!
Only down side is, now Ive got to up the pension payments!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE