Do you smoke a pipe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
PLEASE I don't want to know about health problems associated with smoking and I'm not interested in Cannabis or Vape related smoking.

Maybe controversial these days, smoking in general, But you know what? Sod it. I'm getting older, I'm fit enough and finding it nice to relax for a moment..

I've tried a couple of quality cigars cubans which were kind of ok, but I am intrigued by regular type granddad pipes and pipe tobacco.

What I really don't want is to get into "BAD for your health etc", I am well aware and have been a cigarette smoker on and off for several years but now it must be 6 years since I had a cigarette.

But its a nice addition to relaxing and i'm looking at maybe smoking once or twice a month??

I like to enjoy a whiskey before bed, and Smoking would be when out walking/camping on a break or camp.

So As a pipe Newbie, How does it work?, any tips? things to avoid? I have a budget but......what would you do differently?

Thanks,

• Love
Reactions: zornt and TeeDee

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
I am a pipe smoker and enjoy it.
I think first you have to decide on a shape for your pipe. I prefer an Author or Rodesian shape in a quarter bend.
I am a wet smoker so this helps a lot to keep the junk out.
Next id the tobacco, there are about a million blends out there, so try sampling a bunch till you find one you like. My prefered blends are Prince Albert and anatural Cavendish blend.
Then come the exreas, pipe cleaners, a tamper , tobacco pouch. pipe tools and a reamer to keep the cake in shape.
Srart slow learn to pack your pipe light it properly, either with a butane lighter or wooden matches.
One note get a corn cob pipe when you staer sampeling blends, they are cheep and easy to clean.
The whole experience is a lesson in patience and relaxation.
Have fun with it. Jon

Reactions: lostplanet

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I used to smoke a pipe but gave it up over 40 years ago. I enjoyed it but I gave up because I ran out of tobacco while on a trek and was so miserable without it that I decided to stop altogether. This removed a source of discontent, simplified my packing list, lightened my load and gave me one less thing to worry about. Giving up was hard at the time but I'm glad I did it.

The problem is the addiction. I stopped drinking coffee regularly for the same reason.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I'm off smoking for a while, until my general health improves and the whole covid thing is more or less sorted, but look forward to digging out my pipes and paraphernalia for the occasional smoke this summer.

One thing I've found is the longer the stem the better the smoke so even though they are harder to carry safely Church warden type pipes are my favourite sort. They also discourage you from smoking while doing other things, it becomes almost ritualistic rather than just a way to get nicotine in to your blood stream.

Pipes unless they are burned out which is pretty obvious in itself are easy to restore so you can pick up a selection at carboots, low end antique shops etc and do them up, there's plenty of guides how to on the internet.

Clays are still available, fragile of course but are good so as a rule and safe ways of carrying them are easy enough to rig. Last time i got one they were still cheap except the longer stemmed sort which have a high failure rate during firing.

Of course you can always make your own, the whole Hobbit pipe craze of afew years back means there's lots of tutorials out there. Hard wood burls work great for the bowl and I was fortunate enough to be given a couple of seasoned ones and then picked up a amber stem, which could be synthetic for all I know of Amber I freely admit, for a couple of quid. It turned out OK, I made the mistake of making the walls too thin so it won't last very long unless I line it clay or some such.

You can easily carve a tamper although pipe tools are dirt cheap, saves burning a finger tip.

Although there's a general downer on smoking, aromatic tobaccos are a bit more socially acceptable. The wife, who doesn't smoke and is from a family or rabid antismokers actually likes the smell of the black cherry Cavendish I usually have, specifically Black Cherry Exclusiv from one if the Lake District brands, Gawiths? I like the strength and taste so that's what I use.

Fortunately I've never become addicted, even after periods when I've been smoking quite heavily, I've not smoked now for just over two years and never felt a compunction to do it in all that time. If it wasn't for the fact that it could be detrimental to recovering from covid I wouldn't have stopped, not that I was a heavy smoker in recent years, only smoke outside and mainly in the summer and smoke purely for the enjoyment. I've never given up smoking just stopped because there was a reason to. When that reason has gone I'd start again. If id become addicted and was smoking more than a bowl or two a day it would be different. Mind it's becoming so expensive that may stop me for good!

Atb

Tom

Last edited:

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I smoke one maybe 4 times a year. A nightwatchman (or hobbit) style pipe. I grew my own tobacco years ago and I'm still working throught it, blended roughly 50/50 with damiana.

Reactions: swyn and zornt

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I used to smoke a pipe but gave it up over 40 years ago. I enjoyed it but I gave up because I ran out of tobacco while on a trek and was so miserable without it that I decided to stop altogether. This removed a source of discontent, simplified my packing list, lightened my load and gave me one less thing to worry about. Giving up was hard at the time but I'm glad I did it.

The problem is the addiction. I stopped drinking coffee regularly for the same reason.
I am quite fortunate that I can just cold turkey pretty much anything and have done in the past. I might really hate it, but worth trying once as i'm looking at smoking only when out, never in or around the house.

Reactions: zornt
I have been an on and off pipe smoker for about 40 years. I should say it is more of a hobby than a habit.

I endorse the idea of a corn-cob while deciding what sort of tobacco you like. There is a sort of unwritten rule with pipe tobacco, similar to the one you get with vodka; if it smells nice it tastes terrible and vice-versa,

If you want to please those around you, I would recommend aromatics like Holland House or Borkum Riff or the good old Clan. However, if you are smoking for yourself, I recommend trying the Balkan Sobranie or another plug or cut plug tobacco.
A good compromise might be Three Nuns or Erinmore.

Tobacco is best kept in a leather or oilskin pouch, or a tin if you can find something suitable. There was a time when nearly ALL pipe tobacco came in its own tin.

Tools: You can spend WAY too much here (just as you can with any gear for bushcraft). I recommend smokers knife like this...

and possibly a reamer as well.

Don't be too keen to ream away. You need a decent lining of char in the bowl before the pipe will smoke well.

And you can never have too many pipe-cleaners...

Of course, the added bonus of smoking a pipe in the evening is freedom from insect pests...

Good luck!

Reactions: swyn and zornt

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Thanks All for taking the time to reply,

Nice items turned up this morning, A sampler kit and pipe. Looking forward to trying them out. I did order a tool but its been delayed.

PXL_20220207_132652110.MP.jpg

1x 10g Coniston Cut Plug 'A' Blend (Loose)
This tobacco is a blend containing 75% dark fired leaf 12.5% Malawi Burley and 12.5% Virginia.
You would therefore rightly expect a very strong smoke and one perhaps dominated by the pungent burnt Smokey flavour so characteristics of leaf cured by open fire and smoke.

1x Cabbies roll cut mixture (Loose)
A beautiful roll cut of finest Virginia with 6% Louisiana Perique woven into the middle.

Roll cut tobaccos are produced by spinning tobacco leaves into twists. These twists are further enhanced by pressing and cooking. Once the rope is ready, after a long and elegant process, it is sliced into convenient discs that are also known as roll cuts.

To prepare for smoking, a little rubbing of the coils will loosen the tobacco, which can then be packed into your pipe.

This is a traditional style of tobacco leaving you to experience the sweetness from the Virginia and fruitiness from the Perique. No additional flavouring necessary!

1x 10g Kentucky Maroon (Loose)
The Tobacco is blended with superior Golden African Virginias, Burleys and mild Black Cavendish tobaccos, which is enhanced further with a delicate vanilla and chocolate flavour.

1x 10g Mystery Tobacco
Guess this correctly and receive 100 loyalty points!
1x 25 Wilsons of Sharrow Tapered pipe cleaners
1x Corn Cob Eaton Straight Fishtail Pipe

Last edited:
Reactions: zornt and swyn

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
When I was a child there were several old gentlemen who grew their own tobacco.
I was a ‘rollie’ smoker and loved the occasional puff on a pipe but never transferred to being a pipe smoker.
I have been nicotine free for 18 years although I still love the aroma of a pipe but even this is a rarity today.
If I ever wanted to become a proper pipe smoker I’d quite likely go for a long stemmed white clay pipe with a tiny bowl.
S

Reactions: zornt

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
A well seasoned pipe smoker (Basemetal) I know always says the Meerschaum pipes smoke best. However, used pipes (called estate pipes) are always a good bet if bought from a good supplier. They will have been reconditioned properly yet already have absorbed the heat and oils of tobacco. I’ve spent a fair bit of cash here over the years.

Beware, this is only what I’ve kept from having had a few years of campfire pipe smoking, it can get addictive. Of the tobaccos you see, let me know if you’d like a sample. The McClelland brand is no more, and British Woods was a firm fave of mine, it’ll be your only opportunity for a taste. Kendal Cream is nice, softer and mild.

The little knife is the Rough Rider Pipe knife.

38B1447A-F195-465A-A297-C49A6C15D942.jpeg

Reactions: zornt and Kadushu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE