Cold Smoker Gizmo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Lost me there .... how do you cold smoke alcohol?

Mmm'ericans..... :)

I'd imagine one could get far better result if one had a way to agitate and gently aerate the alcohol during the smoking process. Almost want a kinda tiny water wheel to blend the alcohol with the smoke particles.

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Whiskey would 'smooth out a little bit' just sitting there for a couple of hours anyway - I cannot believe much smoke gets into the whiskey. Anyway it would have to taste like a bonfire to take away the taste of bad whiskey.

I have experimented with getting a 'smoky' flavour in my own spirit reasonably successfully but I cannot believe it would work just sitting there in a smoky atmosphere TBH.

Edit: I suppose it may work if you could get the smoke through the whisky like in a hookah.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
One of my mates shared a couples pictures of a cold smoker his friend made from an old ammo box.
Well imressed with the idea and even more so when he said his friend has use of only one hand.
264098040_959436547998270_221536439341797866_n.jpg

263774038_307936567723936_203466447409296155_n.jpg

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Got a good deal on some chips also.
Two bottom big bags were free - as the shop didn't want them - Mesquite and Cherry Wood flakes.

Rest were either discounted end of line or reduced in some way.

chips.jpg

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
One of my mates shared a couples pictures of a cold smoker his friend made from an old ammo box.
Well imressed with the idea and even more so when he said his friend has use of only one hand.
264098040_959436547998270_221536439341797866_n.jpg

263774038_307936567723936_203466447409296155_n.jpg
I was thinking of what/how the best way to preserve the smoky flavour into the cheese maybe - and my conclusion that waxing may well be on the cards.

VerticalMonkey

Nov 3, 2021
Hertsometimes
When I was a nipper I had a Saturday job at proper old fishmonger. My first job of the day was always to collect a couple of brace of pheasant that had been chucked over the back gate into the yard by a mysterious stranger. Second job was to light the smokehouses for the kippers. I'm not trying to give advice but just to point out that these were just basic ply sheds about coffin size for want of an easier comparison. Sawdust and shaving (oak) from a local joiners firm. Occasionally a cup of water.
Put it this way, I didn't struggle for a seat on the bus home. ;)

I know it's not cold smoking as such, my point being that you could probably cobble it together with scrap for pennies. Old car wheel, garden burner bin, bit of ply. You might not want to mind you lol but racking and hooks very easy to manage with a wooden frame.
If we're talking favourites, smoked duck breast is sublime thin sliced with a nice glass of wine and some hard Italian cheese. Chuck in some air dried ham and... Hold on I'm just popping to the kitchen...

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Smoked mushrooms are delicious, smoked lemons a revelation in drinks.
For a simple cold smoker check out “Foodsmoking Jo” Hampson on the web. She made a great one with a 4 drawer filing cabinet.
I have the Pro Smoker & it works very well on a baking sheet set on bricks in a big cardboard box if you want an instant short-term cold smoker. Just cut a door in the cardboard & suspend the food from metal skewers or on S-hooks from a dowel.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Smoked mushrooms are delicious, smoked lemons a revelation in drinks.
For a simple cold smoker check out “Foodsmoking Jo” Hampson on the web. She made a great one with a 4 drawer filing cabinet.
I have the Pro Smoker & it works very well on a baking sheet set on bricks in a big cardboard box if you want an instant short-term cold smoker. Just cut a door in the cardboard & suspend the food from metal skewers or on S-hooks from a dowel.

Smoked mushrooms sound good.

Smoked Lemons- Just slice them and leave them on a rack to absorb the smoke ?

I was thinking I may be able to get away with doing smoked fresh pasta.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Smoked mushrooms sound good.

Smoked Lemons- Just slice them and leave them on a rack to absorb the smoke ?

I was thinking I may be able to get away with doing smoked fresh pasta.
Just cut mushrooms in half for smoking & sprinkle with olive oil. Give them a shake every now & then for an even smoke.
For lemons just cut into 6 or 8 segments and use a grill rack.
Not sure about pasta but nothing to lose.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE