Stoping Smoking HELP PLEASE

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Well, congratulations on making the effort. I've never even held a cigarette in my mouth so I can't begin to imagine what it's like trying to beat the addiction, but I've heard good reports of the nicotine patches and some of the 'displacement activity' things like dummy cigarettes.

Having said that I can get pretty grouchy sometimes, and I find that hard exercise helps a lot. I'm not recommending that you go out and run marathons right away, if you're a long-time smoker that might not be advisable. But gentle exercise isn't usually a problem for anybody.

Well, congratulations on making the effort. I've never even held a cigarette in my mouth so I can't begin to imagine what it's like trying to beat the addiction, but I've heard good reports of the nicotine patches and some of the 'displacement activity' things like dummy cigarettes.

Having said that I can get pretty grouchy sometimes, and I find that hard exercise helps a lot. I'm not recommending that you go out and run marathons right away, if you're a long-time smoker that might not be advisable. But gentle exercise isn't usually a problem for anybody.

Thanks for that i will give it a try

Puddock

Nomad
Nov 7, 2010
Dumfries and Galloway
Cold turkey was the only way that worked for me. The bad moods lasted a few days, anything after is just a bad mood :) Stick in it's hard but worth it. After 20 years I am now smoke free (campfires excluded)

Partickpebbles

Dec 18, 2010
South Milford
Well I stopped coming for 2 years ago now, the Patches work, will power, and if you can use a mate as a sponsor!

usually people start eating more, so I suggest you grab yourself some carrots sticks, celery etc... gives you something to do with your hands too!

Best of luck, think of it this way you will get your taste buds back in about 24-48 hours, and then theres the money!

as been said before, cold turky is the only way, my sister did the patches and is an on off smoker still. when i paked up i made sure that the mony i saved got spent on toys that had functions. crochet needles started leather work made a french knitting dolly thing. in the end the thing that engaged me for the longest time was a Kumihimo disk that i made out of a bit of 5 mm leather, here is the pattern i used (cut the slots by pushing with a chisel not a knife) http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=269386.0 fits in the pocket and after a while becomes soft and you can make usefull cords for knives and to wrap around the throtes of the smug :)

but more than anything else dont hate yourself if you forget or slip and light up again just remember why you gave up, swallow hard and carry on. for me it was tax and the sanctiond bullying from work collegues and other staff i though sod that and used the hate and anger that came in waves to reinforce what i was trying to do.

when you get your breath back you could try hedging, its great and keeps you away from people and allows you to play with large bill hooks and axes :)

I also found that i had changed as well, not so much a people person (never realy did play well with others anyway) but realised that i would wonder off to have a fag to give myself space and a break from others, no fag = no excuse to have a break. best thing i found out is you dont need an excuse, just bugger off for 10 mins. I think most of the mood swings and snapping is that when you stop smoking you never have those odd 5 mins away from others so it all gets a bit critical mass.

you will already know and have made lists of the benefits but the main one will come when you remeber the terible feeling at 1830 on a sunday that you only have 3 fags in a packet and realise that you have not had that for a week or so.

sorry to ramble but anyway, just dont hate yourself and remember to have a break from things/people and of course.... buy toys!!! :)

Dave

Congrats mate.

Quit smoking about 11 years ago. After smoking pretty heavy tobacco (dutch: zware van nelle) I quit cold turkey.

Made it because I wanted to quit. Had a few nasty days (3-5), about 3 uncomfortable weeks but that was it.

Good thing for you: the physical addiction is gone after 3 weeks. The rest is psychological.

Heck my mom smoked for more then 55 years, got in hospital, had a bad time but (forcibly) quit cold turkey too.. When she had the urge to smoke she started cleaning windows and the rest of the house...

So the advice to do something (and not be buggered by others) is quite good, wether you clean your car, go running, whittling or...

Keep it up mate!

Grtz Johan

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The advice about not beating yourself up is really good. Quitting is difficult, so giving yourself a hard time about it isn't going to help. Try to keep your mind focussed on the positives and the motivations, and do stuff that makes you happy. If you have people who can support you, so much the better.

Quitting is a rest of your life project - it takes time, and effort. But you've started in the best way possible by seeking to quit and asking for help.

Best of luck. Keep it going.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I quit after new years and am still smoke free after a couple of months. Excercise is what does it for me, as I am a little bit overweight & wanted to do more to keep fit, stay in shape etc.. So I bouught a mountain bike, which I use when I get a few free hours to to some bike bushcrafting, then try to do 20 mins every morning then go for a small jog for 10 mins or so. I found that keeping to the routine helped a lot, as it stopped me drinking too much & I was feeling a lot better after it. I also got into kettlebells, which are great for giving you lots of energy back, now that I am over 40. I know that if I started smoking then it would be back to the pub all the time, wine at home, smoking all the time.

Just find something to stop yourself doing it & spend the money you save on toys... I mean vital bushcraft equipment, as I keep telling her indoors....

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I found chocolate worked for me. I know it's not the healthy option, and you need to exercise more to burn it off, but I found it was the only thing which hit the same brain sensors as cigarettesand calmed them rather than inflaming them (alcohol and coffee).

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Hi,
Have you tried relaxation techniques on a daily basis? There are other things which might help too. I'm a hypnotherapist and appreciate just how hard it can be to give up.. ...It seems that you are doing pretty well, and are really well motivated. Quitting is not easy - and as other posters have said, its a psychological thing as much as anything else. PM if if I can be of any help.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
I was driving the car back from the dump, appropriately enough when I heard Professor Nutt on Radio 4 say that half of all smokers die of a smoking related illness - I quit there and then. But the first thing I did was go buy some nicotine replacement patches. Get your GP to prescribe them and they cost a few quid for a whole month. In Scotland, your pharmacist can even prescribe them for you, but only for a week at a time - not sure if the same is true in England.

Patches are highly recommended - really take the edge off, and makes you wonder what all the fuss was about.

I'd tried the gum in the past, but really didn't get on with it. Tastes like you're chewing an ash-tray.

satosato

Forager
May 29, 2009
London
I stopped last summer after 28 years of daily 1-2 packs, cigars, pipes,, , no patches, no AA, I just kept on reminding myself how my ex-boss is waiting for his times up and another mate had part of his lung removed because of smoking but guess what, he went back to smoking again....

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
channel you anger and imaptience into something creative or emotive.
if you are good at drawing or painting, draw something in your head you find emotional
if you are a musician, try composing

try meditating, this comes in many forms, a one which you may find helpful is lie in a park or sit o nthe bench and jsut watch the wildlife and people go by for half an hour. it works wonders on clearing and relaxing your head even if you dont belive in the spiritual side of it

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I quit four years ago, because "I" wanted to, not pushed by anyone, it was my time to stop, I went cold turkey and used "Extra chewing gum", nothing else apart from words of support and encouragement from friends, one of whom was British Red.

You have to break the routine of smoking, have a coffee and you have a smoke, so change the habit of drinking coffee to drinking tea, and forget the smoking bit.

Red posted this to me.

When you REALLY want that cigarette (and you WILL). Stop. take a breath. Imagine how you will feel in the MRI scanner when they are trying to determine the nature of whats killing you and how long it will take for you to die in agony. No preps will protect you from that slow , lingering death that robs you of your dignity. I'm not going to the next meet. I have to go for another CT scan. Pray to all thats holy that it isn't you next.

Good luck, and think of the £2000 a year you will be saving as well as the agony you and your family will go through in the last moments of life as you gasp for air, when your family are stood around your grave wiping tears from their cheeks you will have an eternity to reflect on what you should have done.

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
I was on 30 a day and yeh i feel loads better and stopped coughing all the time, lets face it its a disgusting habbit isnt it ? but you know when you have had enough , ive tried loads of times without success, this time i saw my nan on her death bed and it was realy uppsetting for me and she died through smoking, i kissed her on her cheek said goodbye and walked out of that room and have never touched one since and never will.
so i think sometimes something like that makes you realise its bad s**t , good luck mate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE