Second Hand Mobile Phone Activation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Only tangentially bushcrafty but experience has taught me that knowledge of all sort is readily available here. Grandson started at University on Saturday. Some time ago he gave me two smart phones which are not cool enough for him now to replace the antique Nokia I have used for years. My recent extended trip to France and Spain made me aware that it might be good to be able to use the internet while on the move, if only to keep up to date with BCuk posts! And more importantly to use GPS apps. Son and daughter in law aghast when they realised that we are still navigating all over Europe using maps.

I want to keep the old Nokia but is it possible to set up a new account on one of these 'phones and if so, how do I do it?
Both phones are PIN protected but Grandson has forgotten the numbers.
Should I go to a professional or provider to do it for me now I can no longer rely on Grandson to do my IT work for me.
Any advice welcome but please bear in mind that I have only recently graduated from a fountain pen and paper as my usual means of communication. In other words, I'm technologically incompetent.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
You can get your ‘phone unlocked and then set up with a provider but it will have all previous data erased.
My wife spent a day transferring data and installing applications from an old phone to her new one and then forgot her new password. EE recommended “The guy with the stall on the opposite side of the mall”. They then issued her with a replacement blank simm card and she spent another say filling it up again. She was lucky in that EE were prepared to reactivate her old phone to store her old data. Neither of us store much in the cloud as iPhone charge a lot once I go over the basic capacity.

Hope your provider is as helpful as ours.

I agree about the ‘phone. I use it for everything. I have not used a computer or tablet for years.
This phone is email, internet, newspaper(s) information base, dictionary, encyclopaedia, bank, typewriter, publisher communication centre, library, diary, note book and memory back up for my failing organic one, navigator and compass, metronome, timer, stopwatch alarm, and occasionally for making telephone calls.
There aren’t any games on it or so called social media but there could be if I wanted them.

Ed: …… and everything associated with its camera of course.

It’s a very basic three year old machine. It doesn’t even bend!!!!!!!!

Respect for a guy who apostrophises ‘phone even if it is at intermittently as I do :)

Last edited:
Reactions: oldtimer

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE