Stolen Knife at Wilderness Gathering

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
hmmm... just a suggestion, and possibly a silly one, but if you put lanyard holes through all your knives, then threaded a small chain/steel cable through them all, it would stop anyone "absent-mindedly" walking off with one while still allowing people to handle them. (I'm assuming that you allow people to handle your knives when on display).
It's a real pity that such a beautiful knife was nicked :cussing: some people just have no clue, do they? I hope it turns vampire on them. Or if you find them, it could add value to the knife: now sheathed in thiefleather, blood patina!

caffeine

Banned
Jul 29, 2012
Earth
i shall keep my eyes skinned for this I hate thieves lowest of the low ;)

especially when it comes down to something you have crafted ... i've had artwork stolen before so i know exactly how you feel.

Last edited:

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Sorry for you Dave, its a horrible felling to have something stolen from you no matter where it happens, even worse at an event that is aimed at people who share a common interest .

If you have not already reported this loss to the police then I recon you should as this will make life easier for you if the knife should re-surface . There will already be an open case and a case number for this theft then and you wont have the hassle of trying to explain why you did not report it closer to the time of the incident .Which in turn should make an investigation and an arrest a much more straight forward thing to achieve .

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
1280 views.....lovely....i dont know if i hope the thief has seen this and is now feeling veeeeeeeery nervous (and dare i say it.....regretful?.....'sorry' is asking a bit much)....or whether i hope he/she hasnt and is blissfully unaware of just how many people theyve crossed by doing this.....

a

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I don't know that letting the police know will help, certainly never has for me in the past when small items have been stolen (house burgalry, etc) and there is no realchance it was a local thief since the moot is in the middle of nowhere (had it been in a town then maybe).

If the thief is reading and feeling guilty or nervous, then they are free to contact me via email (buddknives@yahoo.co.uk) and I will give them an address to post it to. I won't reveal their identity or report them if they return the knife and never visit my stall again :nono:

Roger

Forager
Sep 7, 2004
Sussex
As I said when you mentioned it to me Dave, I'm really sorry to hear about this and am truly gobsmacked. We had such a lovelly weekend and a good feeling all around only for the tone to be lowered by this individual. If there's any assistance with reports/insurance claims we can help with, don't hesitate to ask.
Roger

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
if you do read this then i strongly recommend you taking dave up on this MORE than generous offer...i can guarantee you that dave is a man of his word....you really couldnt have stolen from anyone more underserving than him....

i hope you can see by the massive response and support in this thread just how BAD what youve done is...to dave, to the gathering, to the 'family' and everything we all hold dear.

do the right thing for once...send it back.

I don't know that letting the police know will help, certainly never has for me in the past when small items have been stolen (house burgalry, etc) and there is no realchance it was a local thief since the moot is in the middle of nowhere (had it been in a town then maybe).

If the thief is reading and feeling guilty or nervous, then they are free to contact me via email (buddknives@yahoo.co.uk) and I will give them an address to post it to. I won't reveal their identity or report them if they return the knife and never visit my stall again :nono:

Last edited:

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Sorry to hear this has happened at a meet or anywhere for that matter ,all i can say is what goes around comes around

One other thing is it not possable for a message to go out to all 26000+ members with a pic of the knife and a short message to keep your eyes open for it , just a thought ,Can this be done ?

Hope you get it back

Jason

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
As I said when you mentioned it to me Dave, I'm really sorry to hear about this and am truly gobsmacked. We had such a lovelly weekend and a good feeling all around only for the tone to be lowered by this individual. If there's any assistance with reports/insurance claims we can help with, don't hesitate to ask.
Roger

Thanks Roger. You are absolutely right, it was a lovely weekend and this was just a nasty kick where I could've done without it. Spoils things really :( Other than that I had a great time as usual :D

Insurance claim wouldn't be worth it sadly, due to excess and the raise in premiums. I really came to you so that you were aware, just incase you happened to hear of anything related and I thought you should know ;)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
1280 views.....lovely....i dont know if i hope the thief has seen this and is now feeling veeeeeeeery nervous (and dare i say it.....regretful?.....'sorry' is asking a bit much)....or whether i hope he/she hasnt and is blissfully unaware of just how many people theyve crossed by doing this.....

a

Oh, they've certainly crossed me...
hopefully they'll take Dave up on his offer and that be an end to it.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Dave, just a thought, it might well be worth reporting it to the police mate, if it falls into wrong hands and is used in a crime and the police get hold of it, it would be easy enough to trace back to you and all the questions and explaining that would involve. Cover your backside mate, just in case.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
the chances of that knife being used in a crime are fairly small I would've thought and if the police did decide for some strange reason to chase the maker of the knife down rather than the owner/user, then I think I can point them to one or two published references to the fact that I don't posses it ;)

martsim73

Jul 30, 2012
Wimborne, Dorset
Sorry to read this post Dave... Having seen you and your knives at the Ancient Technology Centre :viking: I know how special they are. I will keep my eyes peeled for this knife and hope the stupid scroat that took it takes everyone's advice (and yours) returning it to you. If they don't.... Well I just hope they slip and fall on the sharp end! :censored:

Martin :)

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
Ooh was some one using their "gathering" skills then - lol.

I have to admit after attending the first few wildy gathering then taking a break and going back i saw a massive change in the amount and types of people going to this festival.

I do not go anymore.

For me the wildy gatherings and the moots i have been too have all been very positive experiences and a blessed break from the usual things you have to put up with in life.

This is exacly the type of thing that has put me off going - i know it was just one person but it only takes one

sorry to hear of your loss
and the sad thing is i bet the knife never gets used either.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
That'll be yet another person looking out for it for you Dave. If you find it and the C*#T that stole it let me know as me and my 1% Bros are always after someone for target practice :AR15firin and a quick drag behind a high powered velocopeed. Fuggin Scroats make me sick.

Real sorry to hear about your knife being stolen Dave. On the plus side a Russian knifemaking friend has posted it on Facebook, at least people are very aware of the theft, my heart skipped a beat when I saw it until it stated it was stolen and please look out for it. Whilst we all share the same sentiments of the above comment I can't help but think they'll only drive it further underground. Hopefully it makes it's way back to you!

Oct 3, 2006
Bedfordshire
MMM... This kind of thing is really quite close to my heart as I have been the victim of theft many many times.... one nearly destroyed my business when they took my landy and the insurance wouldn't pay out. Dave- I am truly sorry to hear that this knife was stolen. I'd like to make a suggestion if I may please to each and everyone on this forum.

Dave- I think you probably will not want it as it is not about the money I know, it is the principle of the theft, however I like to think that we in the industry should be helping and looking out for each other. Looking at the number of comments on here I make it 78 so far (with duplicates obviously), so with my calculations if each and every one of those comments donated £2 each you would have £156... a gesture of good will to a tradesman, artist and someone keeping our skills alive and showing the true spirit that it is not about the money but rather the joy of passing on our skills, however we all have to put food on our plate. So here is what I suggest. I have a personal paypall account set up with Jason@woodland-ways.co.uk. I am going to put my money where my mouth is and put in £10 to start us off, if everyone on here could find it in there heart to donate even just £1 each I think we could cover the cost of that knife for Dave. In 10 days time I will close it and send a cheque of to Dave with whatever has been raised. No scam, its my personal account but the only way I could avoid getting hit with VAT. I did look at just giving etc but they only go for charities. If you dont trust me then don't do it however if I were to be ripping people off then my career would be ruined on here straight away so lets all see what we can do? Lets help out a guy who has now had two thefts and re-install our faith that there are good guys out there....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE