Stolen Knife at Wilderness Gathering

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Sadly I have to report the theft of a knife from my stall at the Wilderness Gathering. I know it's the risk you run when you have thingss out on a table where people can pick them up to look, but that's not the point. Faith in human nature should be more important than suspicion and paranoia. The Gathering and other similar shows are a get together of members of a very friendly community and the thought that a member of that community could stab you in the back and steal from you is sickening.

I'm posting this thread, not because I expect to get the knife back, but because I hope that the filthy little scrotal excretion that stole it will read it and realise that they are being watched. Hopefully those people will be detered from attending our friendly little events and anybody thinking of following in their footsteps will think twice before stealing from people who are potentially very dangerous people to be caught stealing from! :stretcher:

So on this occasion. This knife (on sale for £200, but that's not the point, more that it was several days of my life that are gone forever) was taken at some point on saturday afternoon, after my blade making demo. There were always at least a dozen people with me and so we all feel violated to some degree. I noticed it was missing when I packed up for the evening (about 7:30pm) and found a sheath that had no knife.

d1.jpg

d1spine.jpg

6" blade is my usual forged finish (with dog logo)
10 1/2" overall length
Handle is Oak, copper and leather with a copper guard.
the sheath above is still with me.

It is TOTALLY UNIQUE, as with most of my knives there is nothing even similar to this knife out there. So if you think you see one that looks like it, then it is likely the one! If you do come across it, would you kindly call the police and let me know where it is please. I hope that who ever has taken it is nursing a missing testical from where they put it in their pocket. Thieving little :censored:

So remember, there are nasty people out there and if this theft applies to you: You are being looked out for! This post if being circulated on various forums, facebook, twitter, my website, and anybody who cares to share can do the same. That is an awful lot of people looking for you and the bushcraft community ain't that big :AR15firin

To the rest of you wonderful people, thanks for you kind support when this was discovered and I know a few have said they felt bad for not spotting them at the time. These things happen, but if I have to put everything in a big case to stop the little scrotes then maybe I will have to :(

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
This killed me on the day, mark of the man that Dave put it to one side and got on with the day and his demonstrating as he had people waiting.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
A stall holder at the Bushcraft Show also had a custom knife stolen. Not what you expect from so called like minded people. Hope you recover your hard work.
Riven.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Thats terrible and whoever took the knife can clearly see how much time and care has been put into making such a lovely knife, there are some real low lives out there. I just hope its not a member on here and if it was a members friend they should report them.
I hope you get the knife back and i hope this dosnt ruin this for all the honest people who like to admire your knives

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Scroat, hope your reyt abaht he/she loosing a body part when they pilfered it. It will turn up at some point. I imagine such a scroat will be boastful at some point. :banghead:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

udamiano

On a new journey
Will certainly be looking out for it, as will all my associates. i hate thieves so if found expect no sympathy, just a short sharp trip to the nearest police station. As Dave rightly said this is not such a big community that you can hide in.

Very sorry to here this happened to you Dave.

know that we are keeping an eye out for the thief

da

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Really sorry to hear that Dave, what a beautiful knife to have pilfered by some toerag!
Whoever it was obviously doesn't have a shred of decency, and I hope it turns up when they try and sell it on.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Its sickening when something like this happens :(

Sorry to hear about it, eyes will be peeled and hopefully the perp will be too.

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
I was totally shocked when Dave told me about this at the show. We had all had a fantastic day, and had all be commenting on the great feeling that there was at the Wilderness Gathering and that it felt like one big family and friends event, and then to be told that one of these people had stolen one of Dave's creations knocked me for six.

I hope the cut their Jacobs off with it!

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
It seems hard to believe that a real bushcraft enthusiast who had paid money to be there could do such a thing.

There wasn't any chavs milling around who might have hopped the turnstile so to speak?

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I'll keep an eye out too. Probably worth checking all the fishing forums too. You can only hope that the scroat has stuck it in himself.
Another idea is to have a word with local debt collectors and doorstep loan lenders, they normally have ears to the ground. It worked for us when swmbos car was broken into.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
this really saddens me, it's a shame you had to go through this Dave.

in a way, i'm glad i wasn't there because i hate the thought of everyone that visited your stand being suspected of this theft.

i really hope it wasn't any one from this forum because we've probably chatted with them on line etc. might even have exchanged PM's etc. then we've been let down like this.

if it was one of us, then what on earth is the world coming too ?

Dave, i trawl the net looking for interesting knives for my collection / addiction, if i get even a sniff of this knife, i'll be straight on to you mate. I hope i can help.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I'll be keeping the pic of the knife on my phone in the hope that I may one day come across it.

I left kit laying around for days at the moot, and some people warned my about thieves being about and others shared my naive opinion that bush crafters wouldn't steal from one another!

Whilst I wouldn't tar everyone with the same brush it's a crying shame this has happened.

Once in a while Dave, just now and then; what goes around, comes around!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE