Sourced a major part of "the self sufficient laundry"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
yo....brings back a few memories....nice to see too!

one of the memories....you probably dont want to know....but my late great grandmother did in fact get 'part of her' nipped in a mangle....i just remember her daughter/my granny collapsing in laughter about it....bless!

lol...

s

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Macdonald Engeering in Glenrothes Fife, create water cylinders for central heating. Walking trough the shop floor is insightful. Reason i mention it regarding your search for a wash copper. Maybe getting one made to measure may not be expensive?

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Mrcharly - I'll keep looking - postage on the second hand ones is the killer so I'll look for a local one

Tom, I'll keep looking - if I find one closer to you I'll give you the heads up - even a 6 gallon model would be good - 12 would be better though!
You are somewhere in the midlands aren't you? Shame, i'm up in York, you could have had my old one.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sad though isn't it - in one more generation, the stuff we remember from our childhoods will be the stuff of TV documentaries. The idea of a housewife making soap or her husband rendering the fat for that soap from the pig he killed himself will be the stuff of history - not the stuff of memory.

Not in my house!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
On another forum I was explaining how wash dollies were more than just plungers but had holes to help them through the water but also to create jets of water..given we have had a good chat about such devices, I thought people might like a look here

Washing dollies by British Red, on Flickr

Washing dolly head by British Red, on Flickr

Bottom of washing dolly by British Red, on Flickr

There you go -as you can see - holes in the rim to "jet" water, holes in the base to let water pass into the jets - clever bit of kit and works well - can be had for next to nothing now

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You try doing four beds worth of linens, and all the towels with them......trust me you build up muscles :)
My Grandmothers would have loved automatic washing machines :D

I mind washing blankets too, but that waited until Springtime, and I got to paiddle in the big jawbox with the soapy water :D
My Mum didn't do them that way though.

Those plungers though; every time I see one now I think, "Exterminate, exterminate", growled out through some kind of rusty tube :D

M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its the time more than effort I would mind - I have a load of laundry going whilst making a huge vat of onion soup (some of the early onions need using up). If I was doing that laundry by hand, the twenty onions would be still whole!

Funnily enough though, I have finely diced the onions all by hand - despite having a Kenwood in the kitchen - some jobs are just better done by hand :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh yes :D and I hate not knowing how to do something by hand :eek:
I'm well aware of just how labour intensive and time consuming normal un'powered' domesticity can be though.

Do you ever look at old women's hands now ? and they're old, but soft, no callouses, with painted nails, etc.,.....that's just time to spend on theselves instead of hard physical labour.

There are times I have to soak my hands in cream and wear gloves at night to repair the damage because of the work I've done. Gloves are good, but they're not 'hands' and they do inhibit tool use for many things.

HWMBLT retired and the first thing he did was go out and buy a set of electric scales and a mega all whistles and bells food processor :rolleyes:
I hate those scales, I really do. Things skitter off them, they do the most basic of things, my old brass ones had a myriad of weights and I could (and did) add up and subtract as I worked with them. It was easy.....and the battery never died either.
The food processor was a right royal pain the backside to be constantly washing bits of it. It went to Son1 :) Now I have the simplest stick blender that fits in a bowl if I want to whizz something; otherwise, I do it by hand. We did buy a breadmaker though :) but I got a sycamore trough made for me so that I can do it by hand if I want :D

cheers,
M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Breadmakers have their place no doubt - mine is knocking up a focaccia dough right now as I can't take my eyes of the onions as they have got to colouring. That's the advantage of appliances - bread being kneaded, washing done and soup made at the same time :)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Multi-tasking. That's what they are about, like red says.

In an hour, I'll leave work. I'll get home about 1830. I'll then wash a load of clothes, cook dinner for 4 and so some washing up. Dinner needs to be ready by 1930.

Doing all that in an hour would be impossible using manual methods. Used to fit most of it in when I lived on a boat, but my commute was 10min, not an hour and half.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
So, in possibly the least Bushcrafty topic in the world, any interest at all in seeing the "work in progress" photos of the mangle restoration?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE