On the pursuit of the self reliant baked bean

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yep. They are British baked beans :D. Different animal entirely (they aren't baked!)

Fair enough. It's not meant as a criticism, I'm just curious how they originally came to be called "baked" beans? I was hoping there was some interesting history or backstory involved.

Our probably aren't actually baked anymore either (not the canned ones in the stores anyway) but the original New England home made ones that the Puritans made were; the name just carried down from them here.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I'm just curious how they originally came to be called "baked" beans? I was hoping there was some interesting history or backstory involved.

Is it due to bean recipes being cooked (baked) in a camp oven/dutch oven with coals under and over perhaps? Then the name stuck.

Found some nice recipes on the BBQ Pit Boys site incl. beans, worth a look.
Rob.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Is it due to bean recipes being cooked (baked) in a camp oven/dutch oven with coals under and over perhaps? Then the name stuck.

Found some nice recipes on the BBQ Pit Boys site incl. beans, worth a look.
Rob.

That, or something similar to a DO in the fireplace, was how they were originally baked here. I was wondering if perhaps that was true there as well.

Interestingly, their ability to be cooked in this fashion (long and slow overnight) and the ability to keep them without refrigeration after cooking was the key to their early popularity in New England. The pious Puritans could put them on to cook on Saturday night and eat them all day Sunday without breaking the commandment against working (cooking) on the Sabbath.

Last edited:

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Copy & paste from wikipeadiea......

"The beans presently used to make baked beans are all native to North America and were introduced to Italy in 1528 and to France by 1547.
The dish of baked beans is commonly described as having a savory-sweet flavor and a brownish or reddish tinted white bean once baked, stewed, canned or otherwise cooked. According to alternative traditions, sailors brought cassoulet from the south of France or northern France and the Channel Islands where bean stews were popular. Most probably, a number of regional bean recipes coalesced and cross-fertilised in North America and ultimately gave rise to the baked bean culinary tradition familiar today."

So the whole concept may well have been thought out by the early settlers who needed a reliable source of food during the winter months using the cooking tools they would have owned, possibly just on do everything pot/D0,
Possibly one of the better recipes to come out of the "New World"
:lmao:

Rob

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It would certainly gel that Fraxinus - parsnip and beans were dietary winter staples here before the spuds, rice etc. found their way here. Wouldn't have been much like "baked beans" withought tomatoes or red peppers though!

Danny1962

Nov 12, 2014
Maidstone, Kent
What a fascinating thread!

I remember once hearing that the navy beans that go into a well known brand of baked beans are only grown around the Great Lakes area of North America. A discount supermarket I often use sources their own brand baked beans from Italy. There must be a vast area under cultivation at any one time, dedicated to growing beans destined for canning.

On occasions I have asked myself the following questions, or variants... “how much area of land is required to grow all the beans that are sold in a year as baked beans in the UK?” , or alternatively “how much area of land was required to grow all the beans that are on sale now as baked beans in this supermarket? (or even in this one tin?)” Your thread gives some figures that would certainly be a starter for ten.

There are ancestors to the humble British-style baked bean all over European and Middle Eastern cuisine. You can see some examples here http://ozlemsturkishtable.com/2012/...-peppers-and-tomatoes-etli-kuru-fasulye-more/ and I have frequently had the pleasure of eating such food. It’s easily available in Harringay, North London... you certainly don’t need to go to Turkey.

I’m sure that there are even people who don’t realise that the beans they are eating were actually once a part of a plant!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE