Restoring a Mangle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
Excellent job, hoss. It was wonderful to follow along with.

Its a round collar with a grub screw that slides over a pivot to hold things in place. Feels like it should have a fancy term!

We've always called them "locking collars" on this side of the pond.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've not read the whole thread so sorry if its already mentioned in here but I tell pretty much anyone who will listen that Sheilas Maids/ clothes dryer hanger things are brilliant.
Had one for a few years now (believe it or not but I found it lying on the road right outside DFS sofas place and just needed the pulleys and strings) and shortly after getting it we got rid of our drier. Clothes dry quickly and without consuming loads of energy needlessly.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Over complicated new-fangled contraptions!
In our house we just have 50' of paracord attached to sets of cup-hooks stretched across the kitchen above head height!
Easy to load from the stairs and right next to the Rayburn, this contraption takes a whole load of washing with room to spare - or two tarps at a time :) or herbs...
Why does modern man have to complicate things?
I have never owned a tumble drier....

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
once we finish doing up the old parlour which from what they found behind the old parkray was originally the kitchen fireplace I am seriously considering making one of these to hang above it

OATCAKERACK01_zpsadb1131f.jpg

From a recent event at Colne Valley Museum. For drying oatcakes, clothes and when lowered and unhooked and reversed, a bed for several children. excuse the iphone quality pic. I think the roofs high enough even after the builders rebuilt the 1930s false ceiling.

I'm not sure if thats the original or a copy the renactors have made. very nice havercakes they were giving out and the youngest was introduced to the joys of proper dripping, something he has turned his nose at at his grandparents. strange what you will take from someone dressed as a 18th century maid but won't from your own family...

Herself has just found and ordered us a book the reenactors showed us, Traditional Food in Yorkshire by Peter Brears

OATCAKERACK02_zps62d401f2.jpg

Which has lots of interesting stuff in it.

ATb

Tom and sorry for drifting off thread a bit more.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Er, isnt the rainy season in Bowland anout 350 days long?.....

It is here in Rossendale which is further from the coast and south...

ATb

Tom

Yep, we've had between 60 - 120" of rain annually in the 6 years I've been here!

My comment was slightly tongue in cheek! I tend to hang washing on the beams in front of the woodburner.

In Bowland, the dehumidifier is your best friend!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Mar 25, 2015
Langdon Hills
Fantastic job. I've just aquired a similar mangle and planning to do it up so I can use it to rollout clay for the older members at the pottery class.

A. Couple of questions,if I may.

Did you remove the wheels? I can't see how they are attached on my mangle.

I see the fold down handle has a bolt and wing but. Do you think that is original or is it a modification? Mine has an odd bolt, with a flat oblong head, and was assembled the wrong way round. It's also very loose.

May 7, 2016
Aberystwyth
Hi, I just joined having found your thread via Google. Very useful information.
I am just about to do the same thing having managed to pick up this beauty today.
No doubt I will be looking back at this many times to benefit from your experiences.
mangle00-small.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE