So you think you're a bushcrafter? Water Challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Hear Hear and well said about the constant demand for images: I love a good photo as much as anybody, but I also love to read a picture painted with words and to create them, as well. I've noticed more and more recently that as soon as you try to describe something with words there's an immediate call for pictures..................How many times do you read these days " No pictures - it didn't happen"..............

Like the old saying "What's the difference between the T.V. and the Radio? - The pictures are better on the radio!"

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Dont bother in the first place, it starts with a cup of water, then its food, then its a round-house, then its new material for dresses before you know it your married with kids. ;)

Was out in the garden the other day trying to plant stuff and the clay i dug up would have made a half decent carrier in no time. Besides bark and animal products i am drawing a blank. Will have to play.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
Hear Hear and well said about the constant demand for images: I love a good photo as much as anybody, but I also love to read a picture painted with words and to create them, as well. I've noticed more and more recently that as soon as you try to describe something with words there's an immediate call for pictures..................How many times do you read these days " No pictures - it didn't happen"..............

Like the old saying "What's the difference between the T.V. and the Radio? - The pictures are better on the radio!"

(my highlighting) ... and we didn't get that either :(

When did things become so serious around here?

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
[moderator mode on:]
it's a game boys and girls, a little excercise in provoking a bit of thinking. :cool: it's not real, it's not a documentary. so please take a day off with all the holier than thou rubbish. let those that do want to play, play.
[moderator mode off:]

mmmhhh, i've got a bin liner load of clay in the garden for experimenting with pot making..... am i allowed to take my clay with me? :lmao:

cheers, and.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
if id already deflowered her and she was on her way out id probably take ages to do this challenge at least a further 4 days to make sure, so i didnt have to move into the married for ages and never stops nagging phase. :rolleyes:

rg598

Native
:) The true sign of a person new to bushcraft forums is that they will actually ask bushcrafters to do bushcraft. I used to make that mistake years ago as well. It doesn't go over too well. Above all else, we are philosophers, lawyers, historians, and psychologists. We will pontificate on skills long before actually doing them. That is why on most forums, people tend to believe that "doing" is the same as "thinking about". Virtually every thread that asks for a show of skill or a challenge ends up being 20 pages of debate on vocabulary, syntax, history, rules negotiation, etc. If we are lucky, one or two people will actually show us something. Hopefully a few people will end up undertaking this challenge as it seems interesting.

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
:) The true sign of a person new to bushcraft forums is that they will actually ask bushcrafters to do bushcraft. I used to make that mistake years ago as well. It doesn't go over too well. Above all else, we are philosophers, lawyers, historians, and psychologists. We will pontificate on skills long before actually doing them. That is why on most forums, people tend to believe that "doing" is the same as "thinking about". Virtually every thread that asks for a show of skill or a challenge ends up being 20 pages of debate on vocabulary, syntax, history, rules negotiation, etc. If we are lucky, one or two people will actually show us something. Hopefully a few people will end up undertaking this challenge as it seems interesting.

hopefully some people will read your post, well said :)

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
I must say I am a bit disappointed with the negative attitude on here.

Mr. Sargey has it right. It is a game. If you want to play, then play. If all you can do is yell from the side how bad the game is, then why watch? Why comment on how wonderful you are at the game if you refuse to play? Why not leave it for the kids that actually want to play and go find something to do that is a better use of your keyboard?

I would think all the scientists and arm chair education experts would be in agreement that evidence is pretty important in their field because without it all you have is a nice story. Proof is the responsibility of the claimant not the defendant. People have told lots of nice stories but I don't see a lot of evidence to back up claims. So what can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. Pictures or it didn't happen. I did not join a forum called Bull Crap UK I came here for what I though was the real deal.
It seems a lot of people want to talk about resumes and credentials. That is simply an argument from authority and I don't buy it. I cannot claim to be right because I am an authority. Any first year university science student knows that. My claim of knowledge needs to be backed up by experiment and others need to be able to repeat that experiment and get the same results.
I tried two of the proposed solutions to the puzzle put forward by the most vociferous of the critics. One worked barely and the other was a total failure. The cupped hands option took 12 trips to get 250ml when I called it off. Extrapolating that out it would be 48 trips and and almost 5.5 miles walked. The wet rag method was a bit easier. Perhaps if they published results of their attempts they could have taught me something.

It is an ineffective educator that will not engage with students. I wanted to share and learn but instead the message was do not question my authority because I have way more posts than you and really do not have the time for you either.

And what is this hang up on the iron age anyway? The scenario could be a Swiss couple lost in Norway in 1986 and the question would still be the same. I guess the excuses for inaction would be completely different though.

For the guys that posted humour and saw that the original post was filled with it, I salute you.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I so wish I had the time and freedom to go out into the woods whenever I pleased but unfortunately some of us don't. Long hours at work mean my non working time is carefully divided up between family and jobs that need doing at home. So my only means of actual participation is to tell you what I would do, rather than enact it. (unless you're willing to wait 2 or 3 weeks) This may make me an armchair bushcrafter and hence a second class citizen in the eyes of some as I am not a "do'er" to the degree and propensity of others here. That being said I'd still like to think my opinion is valid.

I would form a sack out of the £1 foil survival blanket I carry in my backpack along with my waterbottle and transport the water in that. Carefully ignoring my waterbottle at all times.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Why not admit that your original scenario was unrealistic, the challenge pifflingly easy and add a bit of thought as to who you are to demand pictures? How would you carry water in the woods to a casualty if you had to is a fair enough question but to exclude carrying the injured party to the water makes the whole question pointless. A single drink only postpones the problem. Setting up camp beside water is going a fair way to solving it.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Think Lloyds challenge should be taken as 'Go for a walk and use only a knife and axe (or neither :)) to make a water carrier' the little scenario is just there for entertainment. Raised a smile from me anyway.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
To hang with the knife and axe. Just take your shirt off.

Llwyd, I call you a big mouth and happily present you with today's order of the " big wooden spoon ".

Photos will follow as soon as HWMBLT gets home and downloads them for me, but I've just taken my Iron Age kirtle for a walk along the burn path to the shallow bit, soaked it, walked home and wrung it out over the jug I use for the greenhouse.
Half a litre of water was the result.....and I didnae wring it out very hard either going by the mess on the path under the whirlie where it's now hung up to dry.

One walk, one shirt = half a litre of water.

Problem solved.

What the hang did you use ? a facecloth ? or a hankie ?

Mary

8698294387_b19a95cb2e.jpg

My Iron Age kirtle. Fine wool, shirt length.

8698294959_c9f857d7a6.jpg

Out the side gate to the burn path.

8699418924_589ca55966.jpg

Along the path.

8698296585_52b496fc96.jpg

Down to the burn.

Couldn't quite manage to juggle working the camera and holding a sodden wet shirt....but

8698297071_dc3b76fd3c.jpg

Back in the garden....one handed photography isn't my speciality :eek:

8699420854_de3b20ec81.jpg

Wrung out over 2ltr jug.

8699517384_aee9736a35.jpg

About half a litre of potable water.

8699421672_331baf2f6e.jpg

Hung up to dry and still dripping on the path.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hey Llwyd
Sorry did I miss something;).
Here’s a possible way round the challenge- lateral thinking teaser thing.
Using ether my kilt as a bag or a litter made from reeds or bark get as much sphagnum moss as possible to soak up the water forget about any lost on the return journey and when you get back then squeeze out the water out from the moss when you get back to Buttercup if she hasn’t been eaten by Caledonian bears that is.
Settle lads it’s only a game, If you don’t want to play don’t pick up the ball.

Last edited:

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
...a litter made from reeds or bark get as much sphagnum moss as possible to soak up the water forget about any lost on the return journey and when you get back then squeeze out the water out from the moss ...

That was sort of the idea I had, yes.

And thanks for the PM's about the wildlife on here guys. It puts it all in perspective. Territoriality...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE