So you think you're a bushcrafter? Water Challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Secret is I am an expert at making friends and influencing people.:rolleyes:

tried to like that statement Lloyd,sorry, my girls have got me confused with all these forums, facebook and you tube,
now i've got to explain my diction....i did 'like' the statement in the first instance, jeez and i thought penpals was a chore back then..lol

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Find the water.

Drink as much as you can.

Return to Buttercup.

Ask her if she's ever heard of a chap called Bear Grylls..........

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
If her old man had given me a good hiding & she would probably die very soon as a result of dehydration. No doubt the father would blame me for her death and like most fathers, Probably want to kill me. I would (as a last resort) **** in her mouth. This would hydrate her sufficiently, to make her want to crawl to the nearest waterhole, to wash out the disgusting taste. I would like to provide photographs but my partner has drawn the line on this one.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Well it is for fun so have a go. I guess on a forum there will always be guys twisting things or trying to throw cold water on ideas but a thread like this is for fun pure and simple.

It does separate the doers from the google searchers though.

Using what to throw cold water? I thought that was the challenge.

Second statement is downright rude and arrogant, for example my wife demonstrates birch bark boxes at Living History displays and we could knock up water carriers from myriads of resources as Toddy has indicated or even fix up a travois and drag the lady to water which would be much more useful for her ongoing recovery.

We do explain though that the stuff we show like the birch bark would most likely have not been used in the Iron Age as they had perfectly good cups and bowls and were excellent wood workers producing tankards and barrels and the like.

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
Using what to throw cold water? I thought that was the challenge.

Second statement is downright rude and arrogant, for example my wife demonstrates birch bark boxes at Living History displays and we could knock up water carriers from myriads of resources as Toddy has indicated or even fix up a travois and drag the lady to water which would be much more useful for her ongoing recovery.

We do explain though that the stuff we show like the birch bark would most likely have not been used in the Iron Age as they had perfectly good cups and bowls and were excellent wood workers producing tankards and barrels and the like.

Show me. Make one on the fly. So far the pi$$ in her mouth guys are doing better; although I would have a hard time coming up with a liter I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

And when are you going to realize this isn't about the iron age? The challenge is not moving her, that is why it is a challenge. When posed with a riddle you cannot make up an answer ignoring the question and declare victory.

And for the record being of a scientifically curious mind I cannot resist a question so this morning I tried the Toddy method and it worked. It took 24 trips and 1 hour 39 minutes to get one liter using the most absorbent modern cloth material I could find. It took slightly more time (about 6 minutes) but a lot more walking (a little over a mile).

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Show me. Make one on the fly. So far the pi$$ in her mouth guys are doing better; although I would have a hard time coming up with a liter I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

And when are you going to realize this isn't about the iron age? The challenge is not moving her, that is why it is a challenge. When posed with a riddle you cannot make up an answer ignoring the question and declare victory.

And for the record being of a scientifically curious mind I cannot resist a question so this morning I tried the Toddy method and it worked. It took 24 trips and 1 hour 39 minutes to get one liter using the most absorbent modern cloth material I could find. It took slightly less time (about 6 minutes) but a lot more walking (a little over a mile).

We do need to make some suppositions though - if I am iron age I may be wearing a hide clothing item from which I could form a bag - or a hat/helmet. Or with modern clothing a waterproof jacket which would probably carry water a considerable distance.

So how about we say no clothes allowed?

Don't get me wrong - I like the idea. Just wondering how many elder sticks I'd have to ream, plug and bundle in order to make a serviceable "Bucket"

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
So we ignore the scenario you put forward as the basis of the challenge. You have had loads of answers and pics would be pointless.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Not that I’m the sort of person who would ever want to split hairs normally, God forbid, But I would just like to point out that Calgacus (Chief to the united Caledonian tribes and first Scot ever to have his name recorded in Scottish history) probably died at the Battle of Mons Graupius in 84AD fighting the roman legion scum so his beloved daughter Buttercup was free to marry any man she fancied possibly even a handsome man from the Fiddich tribe “Wood People” a bit like me. Well hello my wee buttercup, see it’s all in the accent. You’re a ****e a ****e for sore eyes, see easy.
Anyhow
Now if Buttercup was having an affair with a roman, now THAT may explain the War. Result dad’s livid and loses the rag and in a fit of rage orders his picts to kill all the roman soldiers in Scotland or Caledonia rather and Buttercup to tidy up the roundhouse.
But I understand what you meant Llwyd.
So to get back on track, after mom cuts you free nick a crate of her dads fraoch before you go now that will annoy him. As for a cup or water carrier just chop the top of a romans head and if she asks where you got it just tell her its a bone roman-sorry china bowl easy.

Last edited:

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
So we ignore the scenario you put forward as the basis of the challenge. You have had loads of answers and pics would be pointless.
I don't think the point of this thread is just to say how you could do it, it's for people to go out and give it a go, say what happened & what went wrong/well. Show those of us who have to sit in an office all day some pics of you having a bit of fun in the outdoors. :)

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
Not that I’m the sort of person who would ever want to split hairs normally, God forbid, But I would just like to point out that Calgacus (Chief to the united Caledonian tribes and first Scot ever to have his name recorded Scottish in history) probably died at the Battle of Mons Graupius in 84AD fighting the roman legion scum so his beloved daughter Buttercup was free to marry any man she fancied possibly even a handsome man from the Fiddich tribe “Wood People” a bit like me. Well hello my wee buttercup, see it’s all in the accent. You’re a ****e a ****e for sore eyes, see easy.
Anyhow
Now if Buttercup was having an affair with a roman, now THAT may explain the War. Result dad’s livid and loses the rag and in a fit of rage orders his picts to kill all the roman soldiers in Scotland or Caledonia rather and Buttercup to tidy up the roundhouse.
But I understand what you meant Llwyd.
So to get back on track, after mom cuts you free nick a crate of her dads fraoch before you go now that will annoy him. As for a cup or water carrier just chop the top of a romans head and if she asks where you got it just tell her its a bone roman-sorry china bowl easy.

I think you will have to find an Italian then.:cool:

horsevad

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2009
Denmark
Your example was great. Don't tell me about it. Go do it. Tell me the difference between wool and linen. This is as much about going for a walk as anything.

There are a dozen options I can think of, I chose one off the top of my head. Just because I gave you an axe and a knife does not mean you need to use them. Think out of the box. You could make a third tool to make the water carrier.

There is at least one option that does not require either of the tools. If you don't want to kill animals for a bladder fine; use your head and come up with an alternative.

You know I am new around here so I am not really certain. Do the people on BCUK actually go outdoors or is it all done from a computer?

Show me don't tell me.

You may not realise this, but there is actually a great risk of diminishing the total available learnable material by stipulating that everything is shown by photographs.

As educated humans we are able to utilise three different kind of abstractions in representing or communicating knowledge, namlely the enactive, the iconic and the symbolic stage.

The enactive stage is were the person communicating the skill is actively doing the skill. This is a physical representation of knowledge, ofte utilised in combination with procedural knowledge.

The iconic stage is were you are using pictures, photograps or drawings (of varying complexity) to communicate the chosen subject. The complexcity of the communicated knowledge thereby greatly depends of the skill of the communicating person in establishing a iconic representation of the chosen subject. This may, or may not, correlate with skills in the underlying subject being discussed.

Luckily, as modern humans, we have another, vastly more complex tool at our disposal, namely the symbolic stage. In the symbolic stage knowledge is represented by words and sentences having no structural isomorphy to the actual phenomenon being represented by words.

Of course, the symbolic stages is associated with declarative knowledge, and is as such an adequate tool for representing knowledge of great complexity; much greater complexity than could ever be communicated by using the enactive or iconic stage.

The modern obsession with learning from photographs or videos can therefore be construed as actively reducing the amount of complexity is is possible to communicate, and therefore actively diminishing the total amount of knowledge.

For such a relatively simple piece of improvised equipment as a water carrier, and taking into account the greatly varied possibilities of creating or improvising one from the ressources of nature, one should definately not exclude the amount of knowledge and information which only meaningful representation is by use of the symbolic stage as declarative knowledge.

Furthermore, in a situation as the one you describe in the OP is not necessarily desirable to apply bushcrafting techniques to the problem. Rather, as there is a certain haste to the situation, it should be about utilising the ressources already abundant. For instance by transporting the water in the leather-hat commonly worn in the iron age:

tollund.jpg

(Image courtesy of Silkeborg Museum - Full URL: http://www.silkeborgmuseum.dk/en/tollund.html)

And no, I am not going to reproduce a leather hat just to be able to satisfy a "pics or it didnt happen"-retoric. In fact I strongly resent the imaginary boundary being drawn up between people communicating by words or people communicating by pictures. Chosing to represent a chosen subject in a symbolic language instead of a iconic language should as such not be construed as a person lacking actual skill - it might be the exact contrary, namely that the person has such vast knowledge in the given subject that they already has realized that the subject could not be adequately represented in a meaningful way in any other stage than the symbolic.

And, as a final remark, you should probably be aware that "Toddy" is in fact a archeologist. She probably holds more knowledge about the iron age than the rest of us members combined...

//Kim Horsevad

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE