So where did you get to ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
Now off for a 10 days. Will load the canoe up and head north tonight. Will stop at Aldochlay or Luss and see how busy Lomond is. Then off to Loch Awe for a few days.

I managed to stick to the plan and loaded the canoe up……….
DSCN1617.jpg

….and find a quiet spot on an island.
DSCN1669.jpg

….and try out the new tent
DSCN1672.jpg

The following morning after overnight rain was pretty good
DSCN1665.jpg

…after a hearty breakfast.
DSCN1671.jpg

(I took the coleman as the islands don't have a lot of seasoned dry wood for a camp cook fire and logs are bulky to transport in the canoe. We did take some fire wood for the Dutch oven though :))

…. a paddle about.
DSCN1701.jpg

Another quiet camp
DSCN1692.jpg

Then off to Loch Awe. Paddling to Inishail and the Black Islands in a stiff breeze
DSCN1715.jpg

The return trip a little calmer
DSCN1802.jpg

DSCN1807.jpg

All in all, a good trip to get away for a few days. Loch Lomond was fairly quiet for a bank holiday, maybe something to do with Rangers v Celtic on the Sunday and the Islands now being patrolled by Park Rangers and the Polis, which can only be a good thing :)

Deck

Forager
Dec 31, 2010
Moray
That looks fantastic, I have to say I'm very jealous. Thanks for sharing some lovely photos :)

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
Beautiful paddle, nice tent and Mukluks. Big breakfast - how many sharing!?

Originally four, but two of the lads forgot to put the flysheet on their tent after one too many round the camp fire and got soaked through in the nights rain :umbrella:. They decided to head back (soaked and hungover) leaving us with their breakfast food, which was shared between me and my mate, and two lucky dogs :)

how did you find the tent ? been looking at those myself.....just need a final push to get one :)

Ordered it from http://www.scandinavianoutdoorstore.com/en/teltat-ja-majoittuminen/laavut-ja-louteet/laavu-pro/
but supplied from http://www.haltistore.com/products/tents/laavu-pro/

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I had a bit of a paddle on the Tivy giving 1 to 1 coaching to another BCUK member.
We were based in woods 5 mins from the put in.
For once it did not rain on me and the tarps were put away dry!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Easter? Thursday night after work it was up for one night in hills that became two. First time out this year. Excellent trip in my home patch (Lakes). Then two lazy days with family one day and the monday was spent sleeping until after 10am. Then off up to walk a long walk that lasted all afternoon until dark. Got home after 10pm having done a decent day's walk (probably 20 miles as I felt a little tired and it usually takes 20 miles to do that). All in all it was a very tiring weekend. I got to work on the Tuesday and apparently I looked shattered. Unlike me most of the people at work only spend their time off work in the pub or similar pursuits so to them it looked like I'd spent a weekend of hedonism in the pubs and clubs of some place or other. I let them think that as its easier that way than trying to explain that not everyone going into the hills are sheep-Sh----rs!! Limited points of view I reckon. At least noone on here will think that.

BTW how long does it take you to unwind from work when you go out for a few nights? Sometimes I can unwind straight away but I found last year that if you take a proper week (two weekends and the 5 weekdays) away in the countryside you achieve a deeper peace about 2 or 3 days in. Anyone else thing that??

joely

Forager
Sep 27, 2010
York
Absolutely Fantastic Treefrog thanks for sharing!
I really like the look of the tent, how did you rate it?
I was up at Chon for my first Scotland trip with the noo last week which was quiet to. Lomand on the other hand was quite busy!

Cheers, Joel

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
I really like the look of the tent, how did you rate it?

The tent was really good initially. I took it in case of the scottish midge, however we didn't get any! It is a great compromise between tarp and tent.
although a few days in it tore along a seam where the tarp/porch flap meets the main body of the tent when i was tensioning out out one evening. It was not particularly pulled tight, but the fabric ripped from the edge. I have e-mailed the shop with a photo of the fault and am waiting to hear what they say, and what they are willing to do about it. I'll keep you posted. Even though mine had a problem, I like the tent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE