Snow makes you think

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Is it just me or has anyone else found themselves standing in the the shed/garage/workshop, looking at things and thinking, "I wonder if I could make a pair of snow shows and/or Ski's out of that"?? :rolleyes:

If this snow keeps getting deeper drastic measures may need to be taken.:)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Do it dude, you only need to keep your toe fixed to the plank or shoe. Find a field and have a play just don't expect to carve any slopes bit a means of transport should be well within reach. I'm trying to figure out how to make the baskets for a set of poles at the mo?

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I often have thoughts like that mate - though so far this winter the snowfall here has been little more than a heavy frost......

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm just scratching my head as to how make a snow shovel with the bits in the workshop. They've sold out everywhere in town and our road is a nightmare, I've had to dump my car half a mile away and yomp home.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
dumping and yomping aint a bad thing...i expect to be doing the same tonight on the way home. Just as well I have me meths stove, decent mil. boots, snowboarding trousers and a great winter jacket complete with snowboarding goggles, gloves and hat in the car.....I almost want to walk home!! hehe

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm just scratching my head as to how make a snow shovel with the bits in the workshop. They've sold out everywhere in town and our road is a nightmare, I've had to dump my car half a mile away and yomp home.

I sorted that one. I took the old coal shovel and the hazel staff off the old birch broom and married them with two brass screws :D
Ain't perfect but it fair shifts the snow :cool:

cheers,
M

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I often have thoughts like that mate - though so far this winter the snowfall here has been little more than a heavy frost......

Bit more than a heavy frost here:D
deepsnowmarley.jpg

Marley is half Huskie half Black Lab so he isn't a small dog. I took him round to the park and there areas where the snow was halfway up his body.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
5 foot length of bannister rail cut at an anglewith a fot and a half square of half inch ply screwed to the angled end makes a pretty good improvised snow shovel. did that today.

I love that picture of you Wayland, though I have to say I can't think of any of your pics that I haven't liked.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Got me out onto Saddleworth Moor for a bit of a yomp.

Melting_Snow.jpg

I have to admit though, I would love to make a proper wood and rawhide pair.

thats an excellent picture, really 'pioneer' style if you know what i mean! Excellent photo

The snow has also made me think that i might get a 2nd hand defender and some chains and just keep it in the garage and start green laning in the summer as a side hobby......

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been playing with my army surplus snowshoes today.

Snowshoes-3.jpg

Got me out onto Saddleworth Moor for a bit of a yomp.

Melting_Snow.jpg

I have to admit though, I would love to make a proper wood and rawhide pair.

Good to see you made the most of a hectic day Gary. Very jealous mate, I spent three hours trundling to Doncaster this morning, had an hour on site and then got told to go home. Two hours later I was dumping the car.

Hope to get out at the weekend for a play

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE