Snow makes you think

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm wondering about using a couple of the 1" thick closed cell foam, garden kneeler pads, as snowshoes ?

Light, tough, right shape to spread the weight....just need to rig up some foot straps :)

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm just scratching my head as to how make a snow shovel with the bits in the workshop. They've sold out everywhere in town and our road is a nightmare, I've had to dump my car half a mile away and yomp home.

2' x 1' sheet of plywood nailed to a long tree stake works well

bernie66

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2007
wirral uk
www.downsizer.net
An old quote, not sure who from...
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just innappropriate clothing"
Common sense should prevail, dress right or carry correct stuff in the car just in case... Don't be foolish with what you think you are capable of. Getting wet in sub zero with no change of clothes can kill. Think about nieghbours- pretend we're a community like the good old days for a bit-it doesn't hurt.
Know your limitations and respect the great outdoors, man has not beaten it yet and won't, ever.
But there's a massive difference between "needing" one of lifes comforts and "NEEDING" something to survive. Get real with you expectations whilst its inclement outdoors.
But don't waste X weeks of the year inside just because it's not sunny..
Enjoy all weathers one way or another. Snowed in means time to practise crafts

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Melting_Snow.jpg

What's the jade coloured item on your belt Gary ? In fact what are the other bits too ?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
That is a stiff brush for removing loose snow before entering a shelter or vehicle.

I tend to find that is the time your gear gets "wet" because the loose snow then melts into your kit when it warms up. A quick brush off saves a lot of time drying stuff out.

That is clipped to a coil of light rope slung around my shoulder.

As for the rest of the gear there is my belt,

Waylands_Belt.jpg

with the fire pouch,

Tibetan_Fire_Steel.jpg

sewing kit

Bog_Oak_Awl.jpg

and my Leuku on a baldric.

Against the rock wall are the snowshoes, a Snowclaw snow shovel
and my bergan.

I'm melting snow with my Hobo stove of course with a tin of alcohol gel in the bottom which is great for the job.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The true improvised snow showel is made with a forked stick and a t-shirt. Wrap shirt around forked end, pee on it an allow to freeze. Actually works. More permanent designs would be axed out of a plank, or with a ply blade mated to a showel-handle.

For snowshoes and skis; try the Roycraft pattern, either in the original version or as longer and narrower "snowshoe-skis" (3--4 poles 1.5 m long) .

Here it is -20 C, but less snow than (some of) you guys have. Bet our stays longer though.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The true improvised snow showel is made with a forked stick and a t-shirt. Wrap shirt around forked end, pee on it an allow to freeze. Actually works. More permanent designs would be axed out of a plank, or with a ply blade mated to a showel-handle.

That's a great solution, I can imagine the curtains twitching down the street as I do it though :)

Gary I am always amazed by your items, they look great. Do you make most of your kit yourself?

I keep meaning to make snow shoes, we have a good 2ft depth of snow and I have some large fields nearby that I could wander through. However the only thing stopping me is know what to make it out of and getting the stuff. I know you can get rawhide from doggy chews. I have a couple patterns and quite like the ones that are made from one piece, however they are not upturned at the toe.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Is it just me or has anyone else found themselves standing in the the shed/garage/workshop, looking at things and thinking, "I wonder if I could make a pair of snow shows and/or Ski's out of that"?? :rolleyes:

If this snow keeps getting deeper drastic measures may need to be taken.:)

No, I've got some (I lie, my lad has some) army snow shoes, £12 IIRC, never been used, but the need for them in the UK is limited to say the least, the odds of needing them apart from the Highlands must be millions to one. Better off buying ski's to be honest, again a bit of kit that you really will never use...unless you take up skiing and then you'd look a plonker with a couple of planks strapped to your boots.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
No, I've got some (I lie, my lad has some) army snow shoes, £12 IIRC, never been used, but the need for them in the UK is limited to say the least, the odds of needing them apart from the Highlands must be millions to one. Better off buying ski's to be honest, again a bit of kit that you really will never use...unless you take up skiing and then you'd look a plonker with a couple of planks strapped to your boots.

I guess I should enter the lottery while my luck's in then.

I seriously doubt I could ski over Featherbed Moss and the combination of boggy ground and tussocky grass make walking in normal footwear extremely arduous in normal conditions, let alone under drifting snow.

In comparison, my traverse yesterday allowed me to journey further across this terrain than I have ever ventured before with less effort. As with all things, it depends what you wish to achieve.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I was guessing Wayland, I can't remember seeing snow shoes in use up in Snowdonia in all the winters I camped/walked/climbed there thats why I mentioned Scotland as its a bit more rugged than North Wales in parts. Thats not to say they were not used, but were not in the climbing club I was a member of back then in the 70's; times change I guess. As said, I bought a cheap pair of the metal army ones but they won't get use unless this winter gets a lot worse here and becomes the norm for our winter months. Why did I buy them? Knock down price to go with a pair of boots I got for my lad.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Interestingly there is not much of a snoeshoeing tradition in Europe. We tend to favour skis on this side of the pond.

The First Nations and Inuit used them of course and this seems to have caught on with the colonists in Canada and North America, which is I think why they still use them a lot out there.

I'm not sure how they would fare on mountain slopes though, they seem best on level or gently sloping ground as far as I can see. :dunno:

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Well I can see the need for crampons coming. When I left to take the dogs out last night it was -3.5. I got down to the usual spot to really feel the wind on my face, 30 mins later my hat and gloves were off and an hour after setting off I got in with the dogs to +1C. I've just been out and got drenched. When this lot freezes it isn't going to be fun around this stretch of the M4.

Mahikan

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2008
Canada
www.mahikan.ca
The First Nations and Inuit used them of course and this seems to have caught on with the colonists in Canada and North America, which is I think why they still use them a lot out there.

I'm not sure how they would fare on mountain slopes though, they seem best on level or gently sloping ground as far as I can see. :dunno:
It's all in the technique, you can do mountain slopes pretty easy here in the Canadian Rockies, not as difficult as it may seem :) However, the new technical ones sure are nice with the crampon bottoms for getting up the slopes - just not as effective in the really deep snow...

leealanr

Apr 17, 2006
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
wayland,

Like many others, just love the kit. I particularly liked the look of the bergan, what make is it please, and any chance of a close up? It also looks as though you have some other "interesting" stuff attached on to it. More infor please... Looks really good.

Alan L.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It's an old Cyclops Roc that was made to go out to the Falklands in that little war we had there.

Berghaus ran out of Cordura when things hit the fan so a few were made in heavy cotton canvas and this is one of them. I got it from Eric Methven.

I've added a few leather straps since and it's my general use pack these days.

I don't have any other pictures of it at the moment, I'll try and put that right next time I go out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE