Shemagh or Buff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 9, 2010
Manchester
Hey guys, what do you carry or what would you rather carry, a tradition a shemagh or a modern buff? also which way do you wear them?

p.s

sorry i would do this as a poll but i am new so do not know how :eek:

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i use buffs got 3 normal ones and a polar one mostly i use them when cycling as a neck gaiter but in summer on walks i tend to wrap one on each wrist and one as a pirate style bandana amazing bits of kit with many uses. I want a merino wool one next hoped to get some cheap at the outdoors show but they where the same price as normal. I like the Shemagh but after seeing ben fogle in one ill give it a miss, only jesting hes a nice bloke really i went to same uni as him he dated my wifes roomate

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
No polls please! The are a nuisance! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

I wear a buff, but it is an old army wool headover but it can be used in exactly the same way. I own shemaghs too, and often wear them in the way I was shown in Oman.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have both and use both for different things. Buff I use as a hat or sweat band (either on wrist or round head) but as a hat I do find them close to my head and a bit tight. Shemaghs I use alot as neck scarf, head scarf, or tradition desert fashion, filter and for a hide/shelter part (can tie a couple together) or to help with personal cam to break up my shape, something that you can not do with a buff, but they are great things. If i am ultra light and have no space it is the buff, but if I have any free space you can bet I have both. :) I know this might not help you out if you are thinking of only one, but I would advise both as they both have their uses and you can put a buff almost anywhere.

Last edited:

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I use a black, and a neon Buff for Packrafting and really like them, warm, comfortable and both 3M Scotchlite Hi Viz reflective.

My only experience of a shemagh is that they can protect from injury if used as a neck wrap.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
As stated before, get both.

You'll find uses for them easily.

Compared to the prices of the Buff,a shemagh is great value.

The army headover is very tight I find,ok in winter but restricting when it's warmer.

I seem to lose my buffs' very easily:rolleyes:

A good size cotton bandana is cheap and works too.

Shemaghs are good towels and arm slings,cotton bandanas are good for bandages too.

Buffs won't double as well for first aid duties.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Oddly i carry both :D
i carry my shamagh as standard because its a great bit of kit and has many uses, i also carry my "Buff" although actually mine is a Recon Wrap, which is a gucci military version of the humble buff by spec-ops :D and its in a nice plain FG colour (foliage green)
i rate em both as fantasticly useful and defo to be carried whenever possible.
Pete

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Being a baldie I find a shemagh very useful for keeping the chill off my head while I sleep. I doubt if a buff would fit my huge cranium:eek:

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Having used shemaghs for years, I'm a recent convert to Buffs as my kids bought me the merino wool version for Christmas last year.

Having said that, I think I'll still take both.

McShug

Jul 28, 2007
Eastbourne
I love my buffs they're small and convenient they get used as a sweatband, facemask, neckwarmer etc.. and they dry really quick. I bought my first one back in Austria during a skiing trip in 2004 and its still going strong. It has been on every trip I have been on in the past 6 years including Egypt, Indonesia, Malaysia and recently India, where it was invaluable due to the really hot & dusty road conditions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE