Camera or phone? (Poll experiment)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Camera or phone only

• Total voters

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
SORRY - just seen that it’s was discussed a couple of years ago. Still it’s a poll experiment.

I used to use a Zenith SLR camera and then later a Pentax. I religiously taught my children the relationships between aperture and timing.
But I also taught them to keep the camera set at f8 hyperfocus. The first law of photography is “Take the bloody shot”. You can twiddle the knobs if you get a second chance.

I found myself setting the camera for the day and rarely changing anything. (Well at least half the day!)

As soon as I got a phone with a 12mp camera that was the end of my cameras.

Do you use you use a separate camera or just use the phone?

Last edited:

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Never had a smartphone so I use a first generation SLR digital camera. I don't think it's even HD but it's fine for the type of pics & videos I take.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Smart phone all the way. I use the 'Pro' modes for video and pictures. Allows me to set everything manually. If I ever forget and just take a shot, the standard editing app makes everything look better. But even saying that, the auto settings in my phones Camera are pretty good anyway for what I need.

Reactions: Rachel.riveroak

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
I try to take my Nikon D700 every time I go out. There's just no comparison between a good Dslr and a phones camera, especially in low light which is often the case in wooded areas.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I have a camera and I like it but it's so bulky that realistically I rarely ever use it. Besides which my phone takes equally good photos, is simpler to use and only really lacks zoom by comparison.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Camera for pictures here. If it is for pictures I want to keep or share.

Enjoy a walk with the camera and the dog and seeing if I can capture all that I see.

Phone, well it is handy for taking pics of labels and enlarging them to read, broken pavements to send to the council complaints, or other such nonsense but really not convinced that "more MEGA pixels!" through a lens smaller than my pinky nail and on to a sensor smaller than 1cm across gives quality.

Reactions: Dan00001

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I have a canon r7 for wildlife photography. Currently waiting for the new 200-800mm lens to be in stock in the Uk.

hopefully the new R5 mark 2 will be out soon so I’ll be selling a kidney for one.

I previously just used my iphone 13 Pro and a Sony point and shoot. I’m trying to be far more disciplined and actually take photos during events.

Reactions: nigelp

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
99.9% of my photos stay in the phone until deleted or dumped onto a stick which I carefully label with a date range and then vaporise into the cosmos called my workroom.

Even w hen I used an SLR and had to wait for pictures to be developed I’d dump half on the day I collected them and the rest are still in a cardboard box in the…. or are they….., maybe……. I’ll find them when I really need them.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
@Tony I may have misunderstood somewhere along the line - I’m sometimes a little hard of thinking.
I thought I saw a request from you that we start a post with a poll attached Order to demonstrate something.

Not to worry.

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
I have a Canon digital camera but, since my smart 'phone is almost always with me, that's the one that gets used most. I suppose I just find it that bit easier and the results are generally pretty good - good enough for me, anyway!

Reactions: briantllb

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Upgrading my iPhone to a 14 pro last year it's pretty much the only camera I use now. The quality of photography and videography is great for the casual or holiday pics. For wildlife or landscape I still have a digital SLR with appropriate lens although it's been a while since I've had it out.

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
I love photography but it pains me to say it's only the phone I use these days.

I have a Canon 60D and a Yashica Rangefinder, both of which I love, but it's so hard to justify lugging them around when the phone is right there in the pocket.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE