Shemagh or Buff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Merino wool buff here. I've got 2 of them. Useful as a hat, as a scarf, as a balaclava, and as a blindfold for sleeping when there's a lot of daylight about (midsummer in the north for example).

Used to have a shemagh. Too heavy and not versatile enough to use one these days.

J

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I couldn't see what all the fuss about buffs on this site was until I got one: now I understand. It is always in a coat pocket unless it is a neck gaiter or a hat. But I always carry a large bandanna with a spare in my pack ( and another buff!). This is sun had, scarf, pot holder, dust mask etc. As for the etc., there are various posts on outdoor fora along the lines of, "How many things can you use a bandanna for?" The answers stretch into near infinity and are bounded only by the imagination.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
I usually have a shemagh in a day pack for when I inevitably turn into a puddle of sweat. (usually carry a few large cotton handkerchiefs in my pockets to be more discreet).
Never really knew what buffs were till I googled - they seem way too fashioable for me.
However I am really interested in using one as a wrist/sweatband that could double in a pinch as a sleep snood.
Could someone with more buff experience point me in the right direction.
Also I'm guessing that merino is for winter use rather than summer - what material would be better for wicking and cooling in summer?
where is best to buy? reputable make? are there big ones for big lumps like me?

Always got at least 1 buff on me too. Usually worn as a cap if it's chilly, or as a bandana when it's warmer. Both merino as synthetic UV resistant ones (and some with fleece for winter use). The merino one is about 1/3 longer than the normal ones and a bit more handy to use as a cap once you know how to fold it (same size as the buff with the polar fleece attached to the bottom).

Regarding the "fashionable": they come in all sorts of fashionable patterns, but there are just normal black ones or grey or white ones too. Or with a slight pattern (grey on black) etc. You can go as fashionable or bland as you want.

For sizing, one size fits all, they do stretch quite a bit. Unless you're really thick headed or necked (and i mean this literally :p) it shouldn't be a problem. I have a big head myself, and find that the Buff brand ones fit very well. The merino one does stretch a bit more than the synthetic one.

I prefer synthetic for summer use as a bandana to protect my head from the sun a bit, and to help keep me cool. Merino for colder nights during the summer (or when temperatures dip a bit) and spring/autumn (again depending on temperatures), or warm winter days. For cold weather i prefer the polar ones since these really do add quite a bit of heat. Don't get the polar reversible one though, unless you just want to use it as a scarf or possibly a warm bandana. It doesn't work well with the other "configurations".

For wrist/sweatband, i'd stick to a normal synthetic one. At night you can use it for some warmth if you fold it like a cap.

(All the above is about Buff branded buffs btw, i've had some others, but they just don't work as well. Less stretch, bad materials, stitching coming lose and other things like that. They may be a bit more expensive, but they are worth it in my opinion.)

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Got to be a buff.with modern slim fitting outdoor clothing a Shermagh is to thick and chunky and hangs out the front getting soaked in the rain.they look cool but that's about it.plus the materials are biz n take a age to dry yer don't have that issue with a buff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've a couple of the synthetic buffs, they're very versatile, and I'm temted towards a Merino version. But I do like the Shemagh too. It makes a good pillowcase, towel etc.

I've had two coldish nights out this year, and donned a Merino hat in bed and stayed warm all night.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
As previously stated a shemagh all day long date i say it does everything a buff does and a whole lot more😊

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Black fleece scarf with a thinsulate lining, about £2 from primark a few years ago. very warm and not bulky.

Tonyuk

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
As previously stated a shemagh all day long date i say it does everything a buff does and a whole lot more��

But it takes up a whole lot of space too, compared to a buff :p.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE