Legality and Perception of EDC's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 9, 2023
Norfolk
It’s a sad state of affairs…..when I was a boy I ALWAYS carried a knife: either a jackknife that my grandad gave me and even on MANY occasions a sheath knife purchased from the boys scouts shop. I even had these on me at primary school. No one - not teachers, parents or even the beat coppers ever raised an eyebrow…we even used to play “splits” at playtime.

Perceptions have now been programmed to say “knife = bad”. But it isn’t knives I can guarantee that!

( and I still carry a legally compliant knife every day, as well as a bahco folding saw)

Dec 29, 2022
East Suffolk
It really is a shame, this demonisation of one of the most fundamental and useful tools in our history.
Weighing up the pros and cons, risks and legalities, I pretty much always have a fixed blade on me, day to day. But, I am lucky to live somewhere where I am very unlikely to have to deal with the the legal aspect of that. It's generally in a rucksack, so out of sight. We all know how unpredictable life can be, for me, carrying a fixed blade is generally a huge benefit.
So, in terms of how the law influences what I carry, it generally isn't the deciding factor.

Reactions: Kenny P
May 24, 2006
Hampshire
When I was at work (ferry captain) I always had a Leatherman on my belt, my argument was that it's a basic seaman's tool and could be life saving. Now I only have one with me when visiting certain relatives as I know that there's a good chance that they'll want some minor DIY doing which can be easily acieved with my Leatherman. I do have a Winchester multi-tool which has non locking blades but it's not as sturdy as a Leatherman. Locally I always have a SAK in my pocket which is only left at home if going into a town or pub. Frankly ridiculous laws but we have to abide by them.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
I think if our firearms laws were different here, I wouldn't even carry a firearm if able to as an 'EDC' - I always get the impression that people do it for image more than anything else in countries where it's legal. Some kind of John Wayne complex.
True for a few folks but, not most. Texan here from the USA. If I thought I needed a pistol to buy groceries, I would go to a different store!

That being said, with high crime and lots of bad illegals (not the economic migrants and families, but MS-13 gang members, terror watchlist people, coyotes, mules, etc.), needing to protect yourself and those you care about (family and friends), carrying a firearm has become almost mandatory in some areas.

Recreational Marijuana use also has not helped. Young people smoking marijuana often triggers mental health issues that further destroys lives. I would like to see the mentally ill treated in a mental health facility but, that isn't an option for most of them. Having personally dealt with someone who did not feel pain and was a threat to life is another reason why I carry a pistol. People carry firearms because mentally ill people have killed people who were physically unable to fight off the physical attack.

In some areas, people wear a pistol like they do a watch, so no one generally even notices. I was in-line to checkout at a Walmart with a double handful or groceries. The lady behind me started acting strange and made me uncomfortable. I asked what was wrong and she started pointing at the man in front of me with a cart full of groceries. Turns out he had a pistol on his hip. She was from California it turned out and thought she was going to be involved in some sort of shootout or robbery. Why someone that scared didn't leave the line she was in still baffles me (were the carton of eggs and loaf bread really that important!)!

In bigger urban areas with adequate law enforcement, not a given in the USA today with the defunding of police, you don't normally see anyone "openly carrying" a pistol but, many will still concealed carry.

Personally, I prefer to be at a restaurant or store with several people carrying a pistol. That means I am generally not concerned with any evil-doers being around to cause me or anyone else harm.

I get this may seem strange to Europeans generally but, there is no reason to be scared or concerned about a responsible person carrying a firearm in public as part of their normal daily routine. Where I live is not a failed state in the Mid-East or Africa so, firearms ownership, use, and carry is not in the same "militaristic" sense it is in those areas.

Last edited:

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
Further, if I was in Europe or the UK and someone had a large Opinel in their pocket or, even a fixed blade on their hip, why would I, or should I, be concerned?

A normal well-adjusted adult carrying a knife to slice an apple for lunch, or out in a park sitting on a bench during a break, doesn't cause me any concern either.

Intent is what matters, not the tool. My boots could be a weapon if I had bad intent but, that doesn't get the attention an inanimate object like a knife does in most of the EU.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
Ref Fixswords comments towards firearms - whilst I agree to a point especially regarding those with open carry licences ( although I suspect by proxy those countries( states ) that allow it may have lower criminal stats ) if I had to move to a country and availability to firearms by citizens and criminals alike was easily accessible I would feel compelled to carry as a duty to protect me and mine. Fantasy or not - I'd hate to be in a situation where I found me wanting and not having.
Just because I know CPR or have a pistol does NOT mean I must act. If I know CPR or have a firearm, I have a choice. If I don't know CPR and my firearm is at home or locked up in some government facility, I have NO CHOICE. As a private citizen, the choice to act or not is mine as there is no "duty to act" as you would find with a police officer or fireman for example.

I do like having a choice and, if cornered being able to defend myself or those I care about (known as "third party defense" in the context of USA gun laws in general). I also went to EMT school to be able to help someone IF I chose to, that was hurt either on the farm (my case) or on the road due to a car accident. With EMT knowledge, I have a choice to do trauma care most people know nothing about. As a private citizen, I also have no duty to act and could ignore the situation and go on my way if I choose to.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
I can’t imagine how it’d be legal in an urban context just out and about - all fixed blades require a reasonable excuse defence, regardless of length.

In Texas, the past week, I have carried a 4" fixed blade on my dominant hip loosely covered with a T-shirt or light fleece jacket. I have been to 3 different cities of ~20,000 people where I shopped at various stores, bought groceries, ate lunch, etc.

Not one question or even a look from someone I noticed. To be honest, two of those trips, I forgot it was even there. Like my wallet and shoes, it is just a normal everyday thing that doesn't catch specific attention when I get ready in the morning for the days activities.

I also have a Lambsfoot and a lockback folder as well for more delicate needs.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I never worry about carrying an SAK or if not that a small traditional gentleman's pocket knife, these are easily recognisable by most of the population. I would be very wary of carrying a tactical looking knife even if it were designed to be technically within the law simply because it sends the wrong kind of message as wannabe ninja or Rambo. I absolutely do not worry about taking such things as an axe and fixed blade knife where I am going to be legitimately chopping/carving wood or preparing food, heck I am not going to be the only one on a campsite am I?

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
It’s a sad state of affairs…..when I was a boy I ALWAYS carried a knife: either a jackknife that my grandad gave me and even on MANY occasions a sheath knife purchased from the boys scouts shop. I even had these on me at primary school. No one - not teachers, parents or even the beat coppers ever raised an eyebrow…we even used to play “splits” at playtime.

Perceptions have now been programmed to say “knife = bad”. But it isn’t knives I can guarantee that!

( and I still carry a legally compliant knife every day, as well as a bahco folding saw)

During deer season at my high school. In the student's parking lot, most pickups had a deer rifle in the back window! Yep, school property with a 16 year-old in a pickup with a deer rifle in the rack across the back window! I lived in a somewhat rural area and no-one batted an eye! Once the deer tag was filled, the rifle stayed home!

My how times have changed! Today you might see the SWAT team in the student parking lot!

Again, intent matters. The deer rifle wasn't threatening to the school or students so, no one cared.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I was that boy.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
In Texas, the past week, I have carried a 4" fixed blade on my dominant hip loosely covered with a T-shirt or light fleece jacket. I have been to 3 different cities of ~20,000 people where I shopped at various stores, bought groceries, ate lunch, etc.

Not one question or even a look from someone I noticed. To be honest, two of those trips, I forgot it was even there. Like my wallet and shoes, it is just a normal everyday thing that doesn't catch specific attention when I get ready in the morning for the days activities.

I also have a Lambsfoot and a lockback folder as well for more delicate needs.

This comment was referring to the UK where different laws apply to Texas.

Reactions: sidpost

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
During deer season at my high school. In the student's parking lot, most pickups had a deer rifle in the back window! Yep, school property with a 16 year-old in a pickup with a deer rifle in the rack across the back window! I lived in a somewhat rural area and no-one batted an eye! Once the deer tag was filled, the rifle stayed home!

My how times have changed! Today you might see the SWAT team in the student parking lot!

Again, intent matters. The deer rifle wasn't threatening to the school or students so, no one cared.
The thing is, this is mostly about the UK, not the USA. We do it different here, even if we don’t all like it.

occasionally you hear about an incident involving machetes around here, but in the costa rican countryside nobody freaks out if they see one: they're common farm/household items and even kids walk around with them, likewise our local supermarket owners don't panic if i enter with my Ben Orford across my chest...
towns are a different matter, though(=only my Leatherman on my belt and knife well-hidden in my backpack) -- but then: i don't like towns and go there only when really necessary...

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
Laws or not, perception is similar in major cities IMHO on both sides of the Atlantic.

No, I wouldn't fly to the UK with a fixed blade on my hip but, a knife in my pocket on the streets at large should not catch any attention if I'm minding my own business. Most of my pocket knives lock and are ~3.5" of cutting edge so, not generally UK legal. But again, why would anyone search my bags or pat me down outside of the airport?

I get video surveillance is a big thing over there but, again if I'm eating something in a park and slicing an apple or sausage, who is going to jump out of the bushes with a tape measure? Who is going to verify the status of my locking or non-locking folder? What happens if I'm using a paring knife instead of a folder?

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Laws or not, perception is similar in major cities IMHO on both sides of the Atlantic.

No, I wouldn't fly to the UK with a fixed blade on my hip but, a knife in my pocket on the streets at large should not catch any attention if I'm minding my own business. Most of my pocket knives lock and are ~3.5" of cutting edge so, not generally UK legal. But again, why would anyone search my bags or pat me down outside of the airport?

I get video surveillance is a big thing over there but, again if I'm eating something in a park and slicing an apple or sausage, who is going to jump out of the bushes with a tape measure? Who is going to verify the status of my locking or non-locking folder? What happens if I'm using a paring knife instead of a folder?
Video surveillance isn’t a big thing over here.

• Sad
Reactions: Falstaff and gg012

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
I suppose I think of it being actively monitored cctv as video surveillance, not just having cameras. Yes, we have lots of cameras.
Modern cameras have a lot of automated functionality so, whether an officer is watching each camera 24x7 or not, important events are sent to officers to be dealt with as appropriate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE