Putting up the tarp ridge line

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Just something I've been wondering.
When putting up a tarp (square) that's got a seam down the centre, does it make more sense to put it up with the seam along the ridge line, or prependicular?
And why would one way be better for, say, tarp longeivity or rainproofness (is that a word?)?

/ Karl

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
put the seam perpendicular - otherwise the tension on the tarp when you peg it out will be trying to pull the seam apart! ;)

Thanks bikething! :)

I was thinking along these lines. But then I got unsure believing when tightening the prusiks along the ridgeline would then pull the seam apart at the very ride.
But I guess that's only one line as compared to (minimum 4) from the tensioning lines.

/ Karl

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I don't think it makes too much difference really, there are arguments for both methods.

I usually hang the tarp from the ridgeline rather than draping it over to reduce wear on the waterproofing on the underside. Not sure how much difference that makes but it's my habit.

I try to alternate directions and change things about to share out any stretch on the material I also use a bit of shockcord at various places in the construction to provide a bit of give in the wind. Stops the material getting too stressed.

I realised a while ago that a 3m sq. tarp provides enough sail area to move a 2 ton longship in a good wind.....:eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE