Ridge Line Material

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

StevieE

Forager
Jul 15, 2021
Bridgend, South Wales
Cant see anything posted before regarding this but please someone stick me onto an existing thread if it already exists.
I've always used paracord for a ridge line for the tarp but notice it does have a tendency to droop over time. I do have a spool of 36 guage bank line at breaking strain of 320lb and thickness of 2.25mm. Is this thick enough to hold a prusik knot in order to stabilise the tarp at either end? Or are there any better solutions out there?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
For it to work efficiently, your prussik loop needs to be made of a thinner cordage that the line to which it is attached. If you're going to use a ridge line of 2.25mm, a prussik loop of, say, 1.5mm should be fine; in the interests of ease, it might be worth using a slightly chubbier ridge line - it'll give you more options.

Reactions: StevieE

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I would use parachute cord if I landed in the wildernes with a parachute.

Otherwise I prefere to use Edelrid Multicord 2,5 mm, orange for most tasks if hiking and camping.

Similar line can be found in every boat shop and usually works very well too.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Thanks Tiley. Do you think a lower 18 guage bank line would suffice for a prussik loop? Width approx. 1.5mm thick.

In theory, it should work. The greater the difference between the two, the better the prussik will work because it has the opportunity to 'bite' into the ridge line or whatever ,ore successfully. Of course, there is a flip side: if you tighten or load a skinny prussik around a thicker cord forcefully, it can be difficult to loosen the prussik when you strike camp! There is an alternative to the prussik, called the autobloc, which is often utilised as a stopper knot on long, mountain abseils, simply because it is easier to loosen at the bottom. I've not tried it on a tarp set-up but I imagine it would work; you might need a couple of carabiners, though.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I’m a Luddite. Well, actually USCG vet and I upset people packing MANILA. As a side note: natural cordage absorbs and wicks moisture to an extent long after paracord has it dripping in your face.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Cant see anything posted before regarding this but please someone stick me onto an existing thread if it already exists.
I've always used paracord for a ridge line for the tarp but notice it does have a tendency to droop over time. I do have a spool of 36 guage bank line at breaking strain of 320lb and thickness of 2.25mm. Is this thick enough to hold a prusik knot in order to stabilise the tarp at either end? Or are there any better solutions out there?
3 mm 16 plait polyester sailing cord for ridge. 2mm arborist throw line for guylines. All posted about in detail here. Including a quick release alternative to the prusik knot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE