Tent/Hooped Bivi Poles For Poncho Shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
OK, need the help of the hive mind.
I've had an idea for the wet and windy weather.
What I want to do is fit a flexible pole along one edge of a poncho so that I can set it up as a shelter when no trees or wood is available so I can make something to sit under whilst having a brew/lunch.
Think of it a bit like the hooped part of a hooped bivi - a pole of some kind running along the edge so it makes a rigid curve.
Does that make sense?
I'm wondering what to use.
I've just been looking at some replacement tent poles. The smallest diameter I've found (on Amazon) is 7.9mm. Will that be small enough to form a relatively tight curve - a semi circle of about 1.5m (maybe just less) diameter?
Does anyone have a hooped bivi? If so, what is used to form the hoop? Is it just a fibre glass pole like you get on tents? If it is, what diameter are they?

I'm thinking it will be something removeable rather than a permanent fixture. And preferably like tent poles so they are easily carried.
Any thoughts and ideas or alternative suggestions gratefully appreciated.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
What I want to do is fit a flexible pole along one edge of a poncho so that I can set it up as a shelter when no trees or wood is available so I can make something to sit under whilst having a brew/lunch.
Think of it a bit like the hooped part of a hooped bivi - a pole of some kind running along the edge so it makes a rigid curve.
Does that make sense?
I've just been looking at some replacement tent poles. The smallest diameter I've found (on Amazon) is 7.9mm. Will that be small enough to form a relatively tight curve - a semi circle of about 1.5m (maybe just less) diameter?
Does anyone have a hooped bivi? If so, what is used to form the hoop? Is it just a fibre glass pole like you get on tents? If it is, what diameter are they?

I'm thinking it will be something removeable rather than a permanent fixture. And preferably like tent poles so they are easily carried.

Go down the recycling and see if you can find some old fishing rods.
They are pretty bendy

Reactions: John59

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Yeah, fair idea.
Ideally though I would like something that is collapsible, like replacement tent poles, to make it easier to carry.
We do have an old fishing rod in the shed that I would happily play with but I can't think of a way of cutting it into lengths that could then slot together.
Good idea to bounce off though.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Yeah, fair idea.
Ideally though I would like something that is collapsible, like replacement tent poles, to make it easier to carry.
We do have an old fishing rod in the shed that I would happily play with but I can't think of a way of cutting it into lengths that could then slot together.
Good idea to bounce off though.
What about a telescopic rod? They pack down pretty small. They're cheap as chips on amazon.

Reactions: John59

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
You’re right, you aren’t going to get a tight curve with your 7.5mm pole sections as supplied. I can’t get much less than a 1.75M diameter using 8.2mm pole sections. I’ve just tried. :)

But
What chance angled joints. This is one of those problems that need the little grey cells to do their own thing for a while.

My immediate thought -short connectors of bent tube or blocks of “something” with pole sections inserted at angles. That way there wouldn’t be a lot of tension. The pole sections could be nearly straight.

Wood?
Alloy block? (Alloy poles come to that - can they be bought curved? Can you curve them (slightly))
Polymorph?
Nylon block or big diameter rod - say 25mm just for joints.

Then again - 10mm plastic water pipe. Plenty of connectors available for short sections. Dunno, I’d have to be in B&Q or Wicks and make a nuisance of myself.

I’d strongly Recommend a series of loops rather than trying to thread a fabric tube in a thunderstorm.

Ooooooooh I wish this was my problem!!!!

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Does that make sense?

Not quite what you’re after but the sixmoon gatewood cape way of setting up might work for your poncho too, with a bit of modifications. The trick to the gatewood cape is to not follow the instructions but pinning out the two rear corners first and then putting up the pole at an angle with the base pointing towards the centre front.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Tent poles are in sections and are flexible?

You can buy cheap sets of fibre glass ones for under a tenner to have a play about with.

You may need to see a channel on the edge of the tarp to hold the poles in position and to form an arc.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’m not understanding. You want a hooped tent pole for a bivy? Aren’t tent replacement poles suitable? Most of the small lightweight tents have thin gauge slot together poles with elastic up the middle. You can get angled or straight section.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Fibreglass section pole just won’t bend in a tight enough arc. I’ve tried it this evening. To get anything like a bivy hoop the stain is close to breaking. ( I was using 8.2mm sections.)

As I said above, you certainly don’t want to sew a channel or tube. You’d be better off with a series of loops. Much easier to handle.

This thread has inspired me.
I’m going to try and make a bipole for my polish poncho that fits in the doorway and it’s held upright by a guyline. It will make much more floor space.
I’ll be looking at all sorts of conduit at Wicks.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Replacement for the Dutch/Carinthia hooped bivy

Though only 1m wide, and 39cm high.

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
Do you ever use a walking stave or poles?
Personally I find a poncho a bit on the small side for this sort of shelter and prefer a hootchie but the linked item plus some extra pole sections would work for me.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Thanks all, so far.
Always good to get other's ideas to add to the melting pot.

Aren’t tent replacement poles suitable? Most of the small lightweight tents have thin gauge slot together poles with elastic up the middle.
Yup, already thought of that, as stated in the OP. And that's what I was asking about - would they bend tight enough? And thanks to someone posting above, it seems not.

As I said above, you certainly don’t want to sew a channel or tube. You’d be better off with a series of loops.
Yes, absolutely. If for no other reason than I don't want to alter the structure of the poncho for fear of weakening it. But, yes, my intention was to thread any pole through loops.

Since getting a pole that bends, and is collapsible, looks like it may be a problem, I am thinking of two alternatives.
Either,
Have two straight poles, one either side, coming to an apex (so a cross section like a traditional pup tent) and fabricate some kind of junction for the two (should be simple enough).
Or,
Use a single, central pole, to the apex and then peg the sides down under tension.

The second option would be easiest, but then you have that pole in front of you making getting in and out more awkward.
So the first option is what I am looking at. Only down side is that a straight edge has less shoulder room than an arch, but it's only a temporary thing for a brew break in rotten weather so will be an acceptable compromise.

Please do keep ideas and suggestions coming in though.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thanks all, so far.
Always good to get other's ideas to add to the melting pot.

Yup, already thought of that, as stated in the OP. And that's what I was asking about - would they bend tight enough? And thanks to someone posting above, it seems not.

Yes, absolutely. If for no other reason than I don't want to alter the structure of the poncho for fear of weakening it. But, yes, my intention was to thread any pole through loops.

Since getting a pole that bends, and is collapsible, looks like it may be a problem, I am thinking of two alternatives.
Either,
Have two straight poles, one either side, coming to an apex (so a cross section like a traditional pup tent) and fabricate some kind of junction for the two (should be simple enough).
Or,
Use a single, central pole, to the apex and then peg the sides down under tension.

The second option would be easiest, but then you have that pole in front of you making getting in and out more awkward.
So the first option is what I am looking at. Only down side is that a straight edge has less shoulder room than an arch, but it's only a temporary thing for a brew break in rotten weather so will be an acceptable compromise.

Please do keep ideas and suggestions coming in though.

Yes, I did read the OP, I generally do or I find it difficult to offer an answer. I can’t really work out why replacement poles aren’t the answer, and I didn’t find the question very clear

My simple google of hooped bivi replacement poles shows the hoops actually used to replace the poles Is already out there. Either I’m misunderstanding your question, or you’re overthinking it.

Last edited:

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
One thing in favour of the Gothic arch pole set is that they are stronger, if you get a couple of pin&ring assemblies you could stitch the rings to an adjustable length of LW tape of webbing and adjust the width and height of the opening using a 3-bar buckle or triglide

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I would be tempted to try and contact one of the festival clear-up companies and get hold of a few pop-up tent poles and try them out (shortened of course). Or try your local recycling centre; there's usually something in a skip or in the 're-usable' pile.

Or, for the money, even try a new one :)

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Only if you find yourself struggling could you let us know the ideal shape that you are looking for. I’d hate to steal your learning. I find solving problems like this is as much fun as succeeding.

Arch radius or diameter of a semicircle
or
Radius (x2) of a Gothic arch.

And

Length of any straights?

And

How many pieces? What would be the ideal pole section size?

Inspired by this thread I’m looking at B&Q aluminium tubing from their garden section. It comes in 2M lengths and is 14mm diameter.
I think I’m doing something like your own suggestion: Two poles but no hinged join, both pushed into the apex of a polish poncho and forming an internal triangle supported by the fabric and pegged edges. I might need to attach a few tapes at intervals inside the poncho.

The B@Q system (can’t remember the name but I’ve made whistles out of it) is high quality and has a comprehensive jointing system plus the all important End caps.. All this is in my head and might not escape.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE