Pathfinder way of securing a ridge line

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Another option (sorry if it's been mentioned and I missed it); use a prussik but without the loop completed so leaving two loose ends. Tie one of the loose ends to the webbing loop on tarp using a sheet bend. No need for a toggle then.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Curious what you all think of this. I like what he's done, but at the same time won't be doing it myself... Mostly just because it's not as tidy to pack (I know that's a silly reason, but it would annoy me, so I'd rather tie the knots).
I think his system is pretty neat. I like it. However, the modified truckers hitch shown in the first videos on this thread is so simple that I can't really see the need for the toggle system.

John Elstob

Forager
Aug 18, 2019
Darlington
I think his system is pretty neat. I like it. However, the modified truckers hitch shown in the first videos on this thread is so simple that I can't really see the need for the toggle system.
Yes I like the second version too. Much better than trying to pop that loop out when you're breaking camp shown in the original RDRL

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I’ve arrived at camps tired, hungry and little time to set things up. My
Hands can throw knots learned in basic training a half century ago without thinking.
Come morning, some instructor’s groupie fanboy informs me said knot ( and a host of other routines and tried and true kit) is no good and tells me the ‘ carpathian shepherd’s hitch ‘ is vastly superior.
I’m open to new ideas and anxiously await the next LK35, polish army shelter cape and wunder steel knife ( wonder how much it will cost?) like everyone.
But, when my shelter is still up in the morning and coffee brewing
I have other things to worry about, like my benefactor’s limp is worse from hiking to pace bead dictating the best way to walk
P S Is the paracord situation that
Bad over there?

Last edited:

John Elstob

Forager
Aug 18, 2019
Darlington
Hands can throw knots learned in basic training a half century ago without thinking.
Come morning, some instructor’s groupie fanboy informs me said knot ( and a host of other routines and tried and true kit) is no good and tells me the ‘ carpathian shepherd’s hitch ‘ is vastly superior.
I’m open to new ideas and anxiously await the next LK35, polish army shelter cape and wunder steel knife ( wonder how much it will cost?) like everyone.
I have other things to worry about, like my benefactor’s limp is worse from hiking to pace bead dictating the best way to walk
Bad over there?

I'm curious, I wonder what happens when or if you are unable to tie a knot due to fibromyalgia, or someone who has arthritis and doesn't have the dexterity to tie a knot? Those two conditions potentially could severely impact someone but they still want to get out in the great outdoors and enjoy it. At least this way people have a way of pulling a ridge line taught, with really only one knot, and three prussic knot/loops and their camp will stay up for as long as needed.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I can understand Canterbury's position, he's running courses and so probably has people with all sorts of physical issues taking the courses, so knowing the simplest method for a preparing and putting up a ridge line is beneficial.

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
Yeah, have some XSRE Locks, they are nice bits of kit. Use one to secure a ferrorod, scraper, whistle to a keyring loop in the top pocket of pack.

If buying hardware, these seem close to ideal for on the prusik loops (though might be a bit short for webbing loops) for less than euro each.
Minimum order of €160 unfortunately. Bloody Brexit

Sent from underground

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Actually just seen a method that doesn't need toggles.

And that's to use soft shackles as the prusik loops.

If look at the prusik loops they are soft shackles. And seem to be using plastic ITW toggles on the main line.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
KING of Simplicity Rapid Deployment Ridge Line - New version from Dave.
BEST way to set your TARP! - Using the Bushcraft Toggle Rope - Really like this toggle rope idea from Greencraft however not sure I would use it for a rigid line.

Think the prusik version could be improved, with a ring in the prusik loop. To pass the bight through and avoid cord on cord friction.

Here's an arborists version, though with larger diameters than needed for a ridge line.

cli361-500.gif
I cannot find the video however I have seen a video of someone using 5 prusik knots with clips on them. You have a loop on one end and the prusik clips into that and then the other end the pussick goes round the tree and then clips to the line. You then have a middle prusik to use for a light or to hold the middle up and then the next 2 pile the trap tight. Working on a verison of this however having trouble getting the basha for it.

I've often wondered if the difference in Paracord opinions is due to the variability in quality and type. The British style BCB stuff is horrible. 7 strand decent Milspec is excellent.
Yeah the stuff I bought from shops back in the day and what I have got from Hennie Haynes is so different. You can spot the cheap stuff really quickly as by how lose the cover is. Sometimes it almost looks flat.

Bad over there?
Yeah I sort of think you can do almost everything with a figure of eight. Personal I would never use a bowline for most uses people seem to use them. People using thumb (Overhand) knots bugs me.
Knowing the basic Scout knots does have it uses however I use 4 knots maybe a lot with everything else sort of solves an odd problem.
As I said above about Paracord now that people like Hennie Haynes are involved we are getting the good stuff. The new problem is bank line which we do not seem to use at all so it really expensive.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Cordage is another ‘ use X or look stupid item.’ Mors Kochanski promoted paracord. He was teaching a lot of RCAF aircrew with
Kit called parachutes. Later Mors discovered Muletape. Bankline? My
Cajun shipmate introduced it to me wasaaay back in 1975. They set marine traps with it. Said service spoiled me forever. I used silk grade Manila. If it could hold a battleship it can hold a tarp. But in my local area, the dominant oak trees are so far apart it’s a plow point and my hiking stick anyway.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I am making 3 set ups at the moment based around this ridgeline and jungle ties in three materials. Nano paracord with micro paracord, Micro paracord with paracord and a hemp version.

Reactions: John Elstob

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'm curious, I wonder what happens when or if you are unable to tie a knot due to fibromyalgia, or someone who has arthritis and doesn't have the dexterity to tie a knot? Those two conditions potentially could severely impact someone but they still want to get out in the great outdoors and enjoy it. At least this way people have a way of pulling a ridge line taught, with really only one knot, and three prussic knot/loops and their camp will stay up for as long as needed.

I have both those conditions, and I do find setting my ridgeline difficult. I use a loop and toggle on the first tree, but by the time I've got to tieing off to the second tree, my arms are realy not up to it. I usualy have to find a kind person to do that bit, and help throw my huge 4x4 tarp over. Once that is done, I'm able to carry on alone..albeit slowly.
Sometimes I get a funny look when I ask, as if I'm being lazy or playing the weak girlie, but its a real problem for me. My arms realy hurt badly!
Anything that makes life easier is a blessing. I like to be independent, and I realy hate to ask, but often it's nessasary. It's the only bit of tarp set up I struggle with.. that second tree attachment!

John Elstob

Forager
Aug 18, 2019
Darlington
I have both those conditions, and I do find setting my ridgeline difficult. I use a loop and toggle on the first tree, but by the time I've got to tieing off to the second tree, my arms are realy not up to it. I usualy have to find a kind person to do that bit, and help throw my huge 4x4 tarp over. Once that is done, I'm able to carry on alone..albeit slowly.
Sometimes I get a funny look when I ask, as if I'm being lazy or playing the weak girlie, but its a real problem for me. My arms realy hurt badly!
Anything that makes life easier is a blessing. I like to be independent, and I realy hate to ask, but often it's nessasary. It's the only bit of tarp set up I struggle with.. that second tree attachment!
Blackie Thomas had an idea of attaching a figure 9 niteIze carabiner on a third prussic using a cow hitch to attach the Buber to the loop. Slide the third prussic to approximately the arm length from the tree and once the ridge is round tree, it’s just a case of wrapping the ridge round the figure 9. He came up with this idea due to his friend who had broken his back and was unable to look up to see what he was doing while tidying off his ridgeline on the second tree. I don’t know if that would be useful in anyway. Due to the dexterity problems and the limited mobility you have. BTW, you’re not on your own as I also suffer with fibro and now started with rheumatism. It’s truly awful

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE