Tent/Hooped Bivi Poles For Poncho Shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Having done a bit of measuring then I'd say that anything between 100-120cm HEIGHT will be fine. Which height I go for will depend on the angle of the sides and which gives me the best width to height ratio. Again, I realise it will hardly be roomy, just somewhere out of the rain to knock up a brew and take a 10 minute rest.
I think trial and error will find the best size, rather than pen and paper.

Pattree - don't worry about it - you go for it as well, by all means. I'm think I'm going to go for my second option as well. I'm sure I'm not the first to ever think of something like this, so you give it a go as well and let us know how you get on.
What I am thinking (or hoping) is that I will make the poles short enough so that two sections are good enough for a poncho, or three sections for the extra size of a basha, to keep it modular. Then I can take the number of poles needed for whatever shelter I have with me. Not sure much maths or science will go into it. Instead I'll use the artist's eye - if it looks good then it is good.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
No to the pop up tent.
Firstly, they are vile, horrible, things.
Secondly, they are a waste of money - I already have a poncho.
Thirdly, a bloody nightmare to put away at the best of times and even less so in bad weather.
Fourthly, I doubt their waterproof abilities.
Fifthly, they are heavier and bulkier than a poncho and a separate pole.
Sixthly, a poncho can also function as a waterproof when I am walking.
Seventhly, (because it's worth repeating for emphasis) they are vile, horrible, things.

Point made.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
No to the pop up tent.
Firstly, they are vile, horrible, things.
Secondly, they are a waste of money - I already have a poncho.
Thirdly, a bloody nightmare to put away at the best of times and even less so in bad weather.
Fourthly, I doubt their waterproof abilities.
Fifthly, they are heavier and bulkier than a poncho and a separate pole.
Sixthly, a poncho can also function as a waterproof when I am walking.
Seventhly, (because it's worth repeating for emphasis) they are vile, horrible, things.

Point made.

I was only suggesting you grab some poles - ideally from a scrapped one. I'm in total agreement about how horrid they are but that's mainly because they get dumped due to the ridiculously low price. Just think, if you used one, you'd be taking it out of the environment :)

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Oh, I see what you mean.
My mistake - I thought the suggestion was to use the tent as is.
Yes, that's a good point. I might have a look at one in a shop first, to see how thick the poles are - but as was suggested earlier, it looks like the poles wouldn't be able to bend quite as tightly as required so I think that has more or less brought that option to an end.
But it's certainly got be worth looking first.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
:) as in post #18 you mean?
But, I think, it is worth repeating :)

Was thinking an actual pop up tent? That pack into down into a circle, and throw it,

Or for a lot of height

Probably get a chair inside that, though dubious how well it'd work in poor weather.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah, missed festival season, would have thought be most common tent left behind.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Slightly off topic but about a decade ago I saw a lightweight tent comparison on TV. One of those “horrible little pop up tents” performed just as well in heavy rain (firehouse for quite a while) and an artificial gale, as a mountain tent costing many times more.
It also withstood having a skip load of water tipped over it in a tidal wave.

As far as the OP - the pop up structure relies on the circle. I don’t think it would be strong enough once cut but I’m very willing to be wrong.
I’m going for the two straight poles on my own Polish poncho. I might put them in the doorway with a guyline or across the centre inside.

I knew I had a lump of this tube somewhere - I make flutes and whistles and have all sorts.
IMG_5522.jpeg
IMG_5523.jpeg
It’s not from the same supplier as the link below but it’s the same stuff. I’ve ordered a short length of 12mm tube from elsewhere to make slide in connectors.

This material may be of interest to others besides the OP.

Falstaff

Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
Why not make a simple plowpoint shelter with your poncho and a walking stick/pole with a guy line off the pole? two or three pegs on the other poncho corners and your done, with a lot more headroom than if you try to make a curve.
I make veg patch mesh covers using flexible plastic plumbing pipe. To get a "headroom" of less than a metre still takes about good 2m of pipe. if you want it in 2 parts then to join it you can push bit of round wood into one side as a peg.
Surely not a practical solution though? A single adjustable walking stick or a staff has secondary uses, and you won't get strange looks from people when you're out walking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE