Ridge Lines

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Now go easy on me, I’m new around here but:

I’ve been seeing posts about tight ridge lines and I well understand why they need to be tight.
but:
To what degree would I be tarred and feathered if I pulled it tight as I could and tied it off and then stuck a crotched stick under the line towards one end and kicked the butt towards upright until the line played a clear Eb?

I know this isn’t new, I think Baden Powell mentions it. I know White does. It’s certainly worked for me in the past.

According to the Tao there are two ways into heaven. To soar into the air like a dragon or to burrow into the ground like a worm. Sleep wise I was formerly of the former but latterly I’ve been the latter.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
It’s better than that @Mesquite. I now use a tipi.
I do sometimes sling it from a tree.

Edited to add:
Thanks Mesquite but there do seem to be “rules” and things that “aren’t proper bushcraft.” that make me hesitant.

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
It’s better than that @Mesquite. I now use a tipi.
I do sometimes sling it from a tree.

Edited to add:
Thanks Mesquite but there do seem to be “rules” and things that “aren’t proper bushcraft.” that make me hesitant.
What rules? Bushcraft is a craft and there are as many ways to skin a cat as there are skinners..or cats.
I'm always learning after many years, and as I grow older and more become less wiggly I find work arounds that work for me. I don't do things the way I did in my twenties thirties forties or fifties.
I'm working on a new ridgeline set up this weekend. I'll see how it goes, and if it's easier and works for me, I'll keep using it.
If not, I'll keep looking for a way that is perfect for me. I don't give a hoot if I'm doing it different to the normal way with a truckers hitch. It's not me being lazy, it's me trying to make life easier for myself.

We each find something different in the craft, and do things differently, as suits our strong and weak spots. We each enjoy different aspects, so please don't feel you have to do something a particular way, or wear particular things, to be part of it. (Using axes and knives safely, and leave no trace, apart) just enjoy yourself.

Ps, last time I went out hammocking...I had a very saggy ridgeline...nobody said a word, and if they had, I'd have invited them to remedy it for me!

Last edited:
Reactions: Pattree

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Well, if it works it's the proper way.

But there are surely more options to do something wrong than doing it right.

People are unable to pack a rucksack correctly, risk to get a branch or tree onto the head, awake in a puddle or river, get blisters in their shoes, set the forest into fire, have to call a rescue team, whatever.

There is quite a lot that one can do wrong, with more or less severe results.

I am quite critical if I read sentences like "Do what suits you and enjoy the great outdoors!" If you know what you are doing you should, of course! Otherwise it's no fault to be a bit careful.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It’s better than that @Mesquite. Edited to add:
The temptation to start the knife and grind discussion is almost overwhelming :lmao:

Whatever works, and personal preference is best.

Crac

Apr 5, 2023
North
I would repeat Waypoint Survival’s tip.

TLDW, my version.
  • Thread a Bushcraft Toggle on the line at one end.
  • Tie that end with a small bowline or fixed loop. (Bowlines are easy to untie… and don’t jam) the loop should be big enough to thread the toggle. The knot should be big enough to keep the sliding toggle captive.

• To pitch the line, slide the toggle away from the loop.
  • Pass the loop around the difficult tree.
  • Feed the toggle through the loop.
  • Snug the toggle against the tree and uncoil your line.

• When you reach the other easy tree, pass the coil around the tree.
  • Add the Waypoint Survival “Bushcraft cleat” to you line. Bending the line to form a lark’s head to hold the cleat.
  • Now you can wrap around the cleat, tighten the line and tie off.

This wonderful system with no difficult knots and you only need to uncoil the cordage you need to use. I’m really really impressed with this solution.

A Bushcraft Toggle is just a short stick with a hole in the middle. You could make one using the awl of a multi-tool or using a sail needle. Alternatively buy a jacket toggle.

A Bushcraft Cleat, is a straight stick with a pair of “7” notches. You have the two square corners in the middle and the sloping cut on the outside. The alternative is just a moderate-depth saw cut of enough width to hold the cordage. If you can tie a lark’s head and keep the two ends apart that’s all that is needed.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
You what?

Sorry - I shall learn.
Reference to the never ending debate, often quite heated, over which knife grind is best for bushcraft. It’s usually a scandi/flat/convex battle where people have their own individual preference that works fine for them, but then begin to impose their ‘superior’ knowledge and experience upon others. ;)

Hence my comment, whatever works and personal preference.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Hmmmm. Thanks for the clarification @Nice65. I think I understand what this :poke: means now!

I’m very encouraged by and grateful for all your responses.
Using what I’ve got, the way I know how and being satisfied with my output is how I’ve lived. I don’t take lessons very easily. For example: I’ve never had a wood turning lesson or read a manual on the subject in my life. My lathe is a 1980’s black and decker drill attachment. I’ve made flutes that play to my satisfaction and handles for my Opinel knives that suit me and it’s fun. That’s how I treat life. It’s good to know that my bushcraft here can take the same path.

Again, my thanks.

Reactions: Nice65

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The one consideration I have on ridge lines is to use a PA ("Nylon") rope, it has a large breaking strain so swaying trees won't break it. At least one friend woke up somewhat suddenly when a wind gust broke his ridge line during a rain shower, for the hammock it just caused a swaying cradle effect.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well, the nitise 9 arrived,along with the new Parracord, and I've just finished making my new quick deploy ridgeline . Whittled a couple or four sweet toggles to attach the tarp onto the prussicks instead of the carabiners I've always used for an alternative to try out.
I don't know how I will get to sleep tonight! I'm wishing I was there right now. Time is crawling!!!!!! The weekend will fly by all too quickly.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm not a swinger like you lot preferring to be sleeping on the ground. My tarp pitching started with a straight ridge pitch. I didn't like it. I saw a few other pitches with a closed end and a frame front. The second tarp trip I tried it, but forgotten the way it was done. Sat there with a tarp and two poles on a Lakeland fell I thought about what I wanted. Closed one end but the other end can be raised and lowered for better views or more weather protection.

So after a bit of thinking I got to my perfect square tarp pitch. I stopped looking after that. I don't think it's quite like the tarp guides do it but it's my way. If there is a proper way it's the one you have reached after trial and error has given you your solution. I think that applies to swingers as well as tarpists.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well, the nitize 9 worked brilliantly. Got my tarp up without help, even with added limited action in my left shoulder and arm due to injury.
Life changer this little bit of metal, for putting up a huge 4x4 tarp. Just as easy to dismantle too. Well happy thanks to Blackie Thomas on yt, I'm loving his silver foxes work arounds.
Just spent 4 days under the tarp in the hammock and it stayed put and gave a tight ridgeline all weekend despite heavy rain.

Reactions: Ozmundo and Jared

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Just looked up this little clete. That is one very sensible piece of kit and it weighs nowt. I don’t have an immediate use for one but it’s tucked into the back of my mind for certain. Thanks WG.

Edited to add:
Some sellers aren’t making it clear whether they are selling the aluminium version or the plastic one. The load rating is nearly double on the metal one.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Just looked up this little clete. That is one very sensible piece of kit and it weighs nowt. I don’t have an immediate use for one but it’s tucked into the back of my mind for certain. Thanks WG.

Edited to add:
Some sellers aren’t making it clear whether they are selling the aluminium version or the plastic one. The load rating is nearly double on the metal one.
Glad you got on well with the Niteize @Woody girl. Can’t even find the one’s I have. They were cheap and came in a pack of 4. All the ones I see have spring gates. Handy for all sorts, I’ve seen them used for load tying.

Edit: Mine are called tent kit. Same thing, I can see the spring gate being pretty useful for hammocking though. Mine are a permanent fixture on the tarp ridgelines attached to my tarps. Ready to uncoil and tension. (Once I’ve gone off out of the camping area with my phone to find enough signal to google how it goes again :lmao: )

IMG_2798.jpeg

Last edited:

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Oh I understand that. Some time ago now, pitching late at night in the dark and rain the local wildlife have been known to hear me mutter -“bunny comes out of the hole ……. “

Reactions: Nice65

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE