powdered egg???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I've been looking for ages,I can only find powdered egg white.If you do find some let us know.

elevenses

Forager
Jan 7, 2008
cheshire
The only person I have known to use it in camp is SimonM it may be worth asking him where he got it?

other than that sorry no idea

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
The only person I have known to use it in camp is SimonM it may be worth asking him where he got it?

other than that sorry no idea

I get mine from Tesco's. It is in the bakery section.

Top tips:

• Work out how much water you need to make scrambled egg at home, before you need it!
  • I carry it in a zip lock bag, and then add the water to the bag, give it a good mix up and finally boil it in the bag.
  • It is VERY bland, so add plenty of pepper to liven it up!

Simon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's a totally vegan, gluten free version available too.........heaven knows what it's made from but it works fine in baking. I don't think I'd consider it for scrambling or the like though.
Tesco's and Asda both had it. 200g for £2.95 iirc.

cheers,
Toddy

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Anyone watch Heston Bloominsilly in the Little Chef meets Big Chef?

He was advocating boil in the bag scrambled egg.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Anyone watch Heston Bloominsilly in the Little Chef meets Big Chef?

He was advocating boil in the bag scrambled egg.

That was made from real free range eggs though, not powdered stuff. Although, I'm sure the last time I was in hospital the scrambled egg was made from the powdered stuff. Wasn't too bad actually. Saying that, I hadn't eaten for two days so anything would probably have tasted good lol

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
"Holland and Barratt do a egg substitute" £2.99 equals 10 eggs

I have hunted high and low in Gravesend and dartford and thats all I have found.
Wonder if it would be easier to make a "safe" carrier for 6 eggs. Eggs dont need to be keep in a fridge so would keep for a short trip????

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Wonder if it would be easier to make a "safe" carrier for 6 eggs. Eggs dont need to be keep in a fridge so would keep for a short trip????
There's also the old trick of breaking the eggs into a poly-bottle, which works well in cooler weather. Not much use if you want to poach them afterwards, though...

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I like the idea of powdered egg but will not eat battery farmed eggs (if I can really help it)
I guess the powdered eggs are not free range?
Dave
Ps not preaching just not for me.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
That was made from real free range eggs though, not powdered stuff. Although, I'm sure the last time I was in hospital the scrambled egg was made from the powdered stuff. Wasn't too bad actually. Saying that, I hadn't eaten for two days so anything would probably have tasted good lol

it would have been as all NHS hospitals cannot serve fresh eggs or use them in the prep of meals

D

Dunne

hi all like the idea of powdered eggs but i hearded that you can make them yourself anyone know how
Dunne

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
Caterers use pasteurised liquid egg. It comes in a 'milk' carton and could be decanted into something more transportable. I'm not sure where Joe Public could get it from but I guess you could ask at a local bakers or some such establishment?? :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
it would have been as all NHS hospitals cannot serve fresh eggs or use them in the prep of meals

Nope, my Trust gives patients hard boiled eggs or 'solid' fried eggs (so cooked to death), but I dread to think where the scrambled eggs comes from, I would imagine is comes in liquid form,as it comes down in the meal wagon in a sort of slab:eek:

They do use vac packed ready peeled spuds as its safer to use them than clean a spud peeling machine, H&S issues etc, :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE