buy or build a shed?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
I would very much like a shed and im wondering if I should just buy one or start to build one? building one would take time and be alot of work but I would be willing to if it ment a big saving in costs. but at this stage I think it may acually be more expensive to build one.

any advice is very much apperciated

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I would very much like a shed and im wondering if I should just buy one or start to build one? building one would take time and be alot of work but I would be willing to if it ment a big saving in costs. but at this stage I think it may acually be more expensive to build one.

There are sheds and there are sheds - the material used in the construction will dictate a lot of the cost. Cheap sheds do exist but they are cheap for a reason.
If you had the time and tool it maybe worth just pricing up the cost of materials and seeing if the investment of sweat equity for a like to like shed is worth it.

Avoid the cheap bottom sheds like the plague . Horrible.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have more experience of making large chicken coops but it's the same principle.

If saving money is your principle, buy a shed.

If quality of materials, care in construction and ultimate longevity is your principle, build.

My chicken coops cost the same as commercial. My walls are 10mm tanalised t&g (commercial 3mm stained). My screws are 5mm stainless (commercial 3mm mild steel).

You won't save money building, but you will get a better shed.

Reactions: Toddy and philipb

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
I just bought one recently. There is a cost difference, but not all that much when you consider the price of timber these days.
you see youtube videos on sheds built from pallets but you would need hundreds of pallets. even if you can get them for free (which is rare now most places will charge you for them) the cost of collecting and transporting them is far from free.

Reactions: Toddy

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
I have more experience of making large chicken coops but it's the same principle.

If saving money is your principle, buy a shed.

If quality of materials, care in construction and ultimate longevity is your principle, build.

My chicken coops cost the same as commercial. My walls are 10mm tanalised t&g (commercial 3mm stained). My screws are 5mm stainless (commercial 3mm mild steel).

You won't save money building, but you will get a better shed.
I think you are right there.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Few questions.

What exactly do you want the shed for?
Are you likely to move from the property in the next 5 years to somewhere new?
How big a shed are you thinking ?
Is the location the shed is to be based a standard shape , size or more unique?

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell

Place an advert in the free ads. To read: WANTED, SHED ETC... CHEAP OR FREE, CAN DISMANTLE. I did man and and van garden clearance for many years and got rid of several. Also place an ad on the local Free cycle site. Also contact the local man and van business and tell them that you are looking. They will sell you one cheap as a job perk. Put it out there. If my experience is anything to go by you will get a good one and free or very little. x

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
Few questions.

What exactly do you want the shed for?
Are you likely to move from the property in the next 5 years to somewhere new?
How big a shed are you thinking ?
Is the location the shed is to be based a standard shape , size or more unique?
I rent my house so im not willing to invest alot into it as you can be turfed out at anytime

Reactions: TeeDee

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
Place an advert in the free ads. To read: WANTED, SHED ETC... CHEAP OR FREE, CAN DISMANTLE. I did man and and van garden clearance for many years and got rid of several. Also place an ad on the local Free cycle site. Also contact the local man and van business and tell them that you are looking. They will sell you one cheap as a job perk. Put it out there. If my experience is anything to go by you will get a good one and free or very little. x

In that case I would check face book marketplace if you have the ability to move a shed once dismantled.
yes I did look there the problem for me is transporting the thing

Falstaff

Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
I've quite recently bought off marketplace, they were cheapo but I had to do a fair bit of repair work, and they haven't been great. I've now spent a lot more for a quality new one, glad I did, but, still costing more for foundations, base closures, gutters, plus insulation and dry lining if you want it. For a rental property I'd buy second hand or cheap.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I've built a few sheds and assembled a couple of 'bought' ones. While you might not beat the price of a prefab one, you can probably beat the quality. Thicker wood, a corrugated roof instead of felt, etc.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
You won't save money building your own shed, but you will end up with a far better shed if you do build it yourself.

Plus you can make it in a way that comes apart so it can be moved later on if needed. And you will know how to do it.

You might even put a dab of grease on the nuts holding the individual panels together so they don't rust solid in 6 months flat and instead still come apart smoothly years later ;)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Thinking about it the opposite way, if I made a shed from scratch using the size of materials used in commercial sheds, I just couldn’t do it.

They serve a purpose but they’re not great.

My wife wasn’t happy with how long it took to make my shed and repeatedly said that we should have bought one. If it was bought then it wouldn’t have fit the space and also wouldn’t be so solid I could run at it and just bounce off.

I paid for the screws for mine and also the log lap cladding on the front and one side. Oh and the strap hinges for the door. The rest was all free. Blocks to sit it on, floor, timber, felt, roof, wall panels, windows, lock. Loads gets thrown from building jobs.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Visit your local allotments, lots of ideas how to build a shed from salvaged materials to found there. A popular one is old doors and window frames.

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
But again, it depends on what you want the shed for, don't forget to think about the required level of security and the sort of neighbours you have.

For example, if you want to store a costly bicycle or tools securely, you might want to look at a UK-made sold-secure powder-coated metal shed with integral base (Asgard are the market leaders).... I have an Asgard 3-bike store I bought several years ago (with a hefty discount) and used for storing bikes, then last summer I took it apart, chucked it in the van and moved it 60 miles, then reassembled it, all over a couple of days. Whole thing was simple (the instructions still online), it's needed no maintenance beyond an annual scrub to remove the moss and no water leaks in anywhere in the rain.

Also you might want to consider the level of "neat and tidy" expectations of your neighbours. A perfectly serviceable (allotment style) shed build from pallets, tarpaulin and old double-glazed windows might attract a lot of adverse comment in some neighbourhoods......

GC

Falstaff

Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
I remember sitting in one made from empty tea chests and tarpaper. Owned & made by a retired blacksmith. Loads of old engineering tools and the heavenly smell of engineering oil, took me back to my youth and my dads garage.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
But again, it depends on what you want the shed for, don't forget to think about the required level of security and the sort of neighbours you have.

For example, if you want to store a costly bicycle or tools securely, you might want to look at a UK-made sold-secure powder-coated metal shed with integral base (Asgard are the market leaders).... I have an Asgard 3-bike store I bought several years ago (with a hefty discount) and used for storing bikes, then last summer I took it apart, chucked it in the van and moved it 60 miles, then reassembled it, all over a couple of days. Whole thing was simple (the instructions still online), it's needed no maintenance beyond an annual scrub to remove the moss and no water leaks in anywhere in the rain.

Also you might want to consider the level of "neat and tidy" expectations of your neighbours. A perfectly serviceable (allotment style) shed build from pallets, tarpaulin and old double-glazed windows might attract a lot of adverse comment in some neighbourhoods......

GC
I was thinking of buying an Asgard for my motorbike. What are they like for condensation ? @GreyCat

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
The Asgard sheds all have vents in. I have never had a problem with condensation, they are the best sheds for keeping things safe and dry, even in the soggy south Wales weather. They are not as dry as a house- they are similar to an unheated garage.

Couple of points. I got my original pair of cycle sheds nearly 10 years ago, went together fine, no issues, and I have since disassembled, moved and reassembled one of them.

However, the larger ones are more of a challenge....... last summer, my husband bought one of the biggest size motorcycle ones to securely store stuff at the place we are doing up. Some lessons from that:

(1) They are delivered (by their own chap) on an 8.5 tonne truck with a tail lift. He unloads the stillage, and needs somewhere to put the pieces.

(2) When they say you need a firm flat surface- you need a firm flat surface. Otherwise, (a) the pieces won't go together properly and (b) the doors won't close properly. Had this issue when building the new one in the Summer, after a day of cursing my husband gave up so the following day I went down, levelled off everything properly and finished the build. It was..... challenging..... on my own.

(3) For the bigger ones, make sure you can get all the way around with a ladder; whilst the assembly instructions are good, if budget allows, I strongly recommend paying them to also assemble it on your site for you. With the bigger ones, there's some "tricky" elements such as doing the ridge cover and door area. The screws are all self-tappers and there LOTS of them- you WILL need a decent electric screwdriver if you want to avoid severe wrist-ache.

(4) When you put the wooden floor panels in (and you must so this to have a good result), I advise putting some webbing in a loop under them otherwise it's nearly impossible to lift them out again if you ever need to. We learned that the hard way when we moved one...... and you cannot disassemble them without taking the floor out.

(5) You MUST use ALL of the pieces in the correct location and use the sealant if you want a weather-tight unit.

(6) On the original units, no issues, but on the recent one, the lock unit wasn't throwing the bolt far enough. We took it apart and fixed it, and I am sure they would have replaced it- but again another good reason to pay to have it built- someone else resolves any gremlins.

(7) Building one of the big ones over a weekend with 2 people is doable...... but seriously, it's hard work, you need a good relationship with the other person, you need the tools and you both need to be reasonably OK at DIY. The notoriously awkward cheapo Suttons greenhouse is an easier build than the bigger Asgard sheds (I assembled the 2 smaller cycle ones on my own, it's not easy but can be done. But on the bigger motorcycle sheds, everything is that much heavier).

All that said.... They are brilliant sheds. Not having to paint or repair the roof, not needing to mess with padlocks- they just work.

Mine are all the "ivory" colour which means they don't roast inside too much in summer- they stay cooler than a standard wooden shed.

GC

Reactions: British Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE