Bivvy bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wind blows

Feb 1, 2024
Uk
I just bought the British army mvp (moisture vapour permeable) 'sleeping bag cover'. I had been uneasy about being 'exposed', but equally I wasn't enthused by the 'coffin tent' idea of a looped bivvy. The decisive factor was that I wanted protection for my Arctic down sleeping bag, protection from both condensation and rain, especially as I won't be able to air the bag on extended trips. My eventual choice should protect better than a closed looped bivvy, where condensation from your breath can form. Plus my choice is considerably lighter, is quicker to get into, and, usefully in some terrain types, it has a smaller ground plan. A mosquito veil (head or full body, I bought both used from a local army surplus) and good tarp (same) still add up to a lightweight 'sleep system', and make for a great 'outdoors' experience. All beautiful equipment. The only real drawback is that from the comfort of my home I still shiver at the thought of being exposed.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I believe that is the cheaper version of the MMPS cover, which I agree is semantics wether it’s a bivvy or not. I have a carintha, a genuine mmps and an alpkit hunka. If I were you for lightweight camping and backpacking I’d try a hunka XL as even I find the hunka very tight and I’m a slim guy. You couldn’t fit a sleeping mat inside the bivvy with you that’s for sure. I like the British army bivvy but the only downside is the hood is terribly designed and you can’t hook a pillow in it in any way. Fine when you have webbing as a pillow but for a decent nights kip it’s not for me.
I can get the pillow inside the hood of the sleeping bag and try and get as deep in it (the bivi bag) as possible. Then flip the bivi bag hood over. Take practice but works.

Reactions: FerlasDave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE