Mushroom ID assistance

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
Hi All,

I was out on the farm earlier and one of the workers said there were a few puffballs in one of the fields. I went to take a look with bacon, egg and puffball on my mind but immediately found it wasn't to be. What I think they are is immature horse mushrooms - Agaricus arvensis. Whats your thoughts? They were found in a grassland field which also has real horses in it.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
No staining or colour change at all and I've probably got the worst sense of smell ever to tell if they smell (I'll ask the wife later)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Apologies; I am fairly happy with what they are but, as I suspect you intend to eat them, I'm not going to advise you. You must make your own identification based on a good reference source.

Our county fungi recorder will not identify fungus for eating based on photographs alone and he is vastly more experienced than I am.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I hadn't intended to eat them as I couldn't positively ID them. There were quite a lot in the field but many had been squashed by the horses. I picked these to take home to cross reference with my books and see what people here thought. It more about expanding my knowledge than filling my stomach.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
OK, then from the photo, the cap is smooth, and the fact you have picked it in a field not a wood (where it could be confused with some Amanita), I believe your identification is correct :)

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Apologies; I am fairly happy with what they are but, as I suspect you intend to eat them, I'm not going to advise you. You must make your own identification based on a good reference source.

Our county fungi recorder will not identify fungus for eating based on photographs alone and he is vastly more experienced than I am.
That is a good approach.
I've only eaten horse mushrooms a few times so am cautious with an id but I don't know what else they are likely to be if they don't stain yellow. It'll be interesting to see what your wife thinks they smell of as that'll help with the id. More here: https://www.wildfooduk.com/mushroom-guide/horse-mushroom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE