Peace shattered

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I knew it was going to be a great day, so I set of early this morning on a bimble. Woods were peaceful and loads of stuff to see. Spent a good hour tracking the badgers previous nights foraging sprees, as well as checking on a few nests and the local reptile population too. All in all having a great time and getting ready to light up the stove for a brew and some food.

Well, now I'm back home because the peaceful woods were invaded by a load of muppets on those daft mini motorbikes. Scared off the entire local population of wildlife :rant:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Gutted..i know how you feel.A wood near to me has been coverted into a ******* bike track(not officially, done by kids)banks and jumps the lot!Used to full of bluebells..they put paid to that.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Gutted..i know how you feel.A wood near to me has been coverted into a ******* bike track(not officially, done by kids)banks and jumps the lot!Used to full of bluebells..they put paid to that.

Yeah, they've done that here too, in just the last week. Not 50m from a very old sett I watch.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, they've done that here too, in just the last week. Not 50m from a very old sett I watch.

Horrible things and the parents who demand that their kids have the *right* to use them on nature walks, quiet woodlands and the like, are cretinous.

The nature walk here runs less than 10m from my house gable end. I stepped out onto the path and told the child to go and get his parents. His father arrived screeching and shouting and threatening me with, "His mother will be round to see you!" I told him she'd be welcome, but I was phoning the police now since this was a nature *walk* not a motorcycle track and he was well out of order encouraging his child to behave in such a way.

Beggar sloped off red faced and furious and we haven't seen hide nor hair of them since.
They didn't even live round here, but they thought the walkway would be a good place for their brat to learn to ride his minimotortrike thing.
Time and place, and this was neither.

Report it, complain, if no one does anything official then nothing changes. Contact the local paper, the greenspace officer and the police.

The council installed metal styles each end of the walkway. Bikes get through and with patience (it's very muddy at the start) so can motorised wheelchairs. Mostly it's just folks out for a walk with the grandkids or the dog.
Just now it's full of a group of kids building dens :) They've got two big labradors with them and their leashes have the kids wrapped round every tree in the place trying to hang onto them :D

cheers,
Toddy

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
I know how you feel, a nice quiet area i pass through sometimes has been used recently by the local Scuffers leaving behind their cans ,rubbish,drug pipes and their disposable BBQs (how i hate those things), most of the wildlife is rarely seen in that area now. It seems nothing is sacred.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I know how you feel, a nice quiet area i pass through sometimes has been used recently by the local Scuffers leaving behind their cans ,rubbish,drug pipes and their disposable BBQs (how i hate those things), most of the wildlife is rarely seen in that area now. It seems nothing is sacred.

Yeah, and why is it people go to the trouble of bagging up the dog poo, then chuck the bag up a tree or in the hedgrows :rant: . Surely it would be just better to leave the poo :rant: . Now the woods are littered with little white bags full of poo that'll never rot away :rant:

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Now the woods are littered with little white bags full of poo that'll never rot away

I can never understand the mentality of people that bag dog crap then toss it into a bush or tree. Strange habit

I personally think anyone leaving dog poo (bagged or unbagged) anywhere should be forced to stand against a wall with their mouths open while the offending deposit is loaded into a blunderbuss and blasted back at them.

...........and thats me during a mellow moment. :cool:

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I bag my dog's poo whwere possible and bin it as soon as possible.

If he's been at the shellfish on the beach, then blotting paper would be of more use, as i don't carry blotting paper with me, sometimes it's just easier to cover his mess with soil.

I've seen the wee bagged parcels dumped about too - that's just laziness.

Liam

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
cant stand it when that happens. there are places to go already to do that sort of thing, why ruin ancient woodland just for a laugh. what is wrong with young people today!
regards,
jordan aged 15 :D

Calurix

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 12, 2010
Moray, Scotland
Hi,
I agree it might be frustrating thats the local wildlife scampered but did it come back ?. Our enjoyment of of the woods is not exclusive (pity) and to complain about others using it I think is narrow minded.

Regards,
Cal

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Hi,
I agree it might be frustrating thats the local wildlife scampered but did it come back ?. Our enjoyment of of the woods is not exclusive (pity) and to complain about others using it I think is narrow minded.

Regards,
Cal

I've just come back from a second short visit. Everything is as normal aprt from the paths being dug up and some fire mess. Soon sorted. The bikers were based right by the blue tit nest that I posted in the flora and fauna forum and I was sure they'd see it. But they are all OK too.

Motorbikes are for the road and off road tracks, not quiet private woodland where it is illegal. Plastic bags with dog poo are for the bin, not the bushies. I have every right to complain about that.

Last edited:

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Yeah, and why is it people go to the trouble of bagging up the dog poo, then chuck the bag up a tree or in the hedgrows :rant: . Surely it would be just better to leave the poo :rant: . Now the woods are littered with little white bags full of poo that'll never rot away :rant:

now that is one issue that really winds me up !!! seems its a nationwide problem - gets my goat when ya see the bags just dumped !!!!!

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hi,

Regards,
Cal

I don't want exclusive use of the woodlands, but do you honestly believe that the quiet woodlands are truly the place for those motorbikes ??
The brat I checked had already forced one elderly neighbour off the path and into the brambles. He seemed totally astonished that I had *no* intention of moving for him.
What a way to rear a child :( arrogantly selfishly certain he can do whatever he likes regardless of anyone else.

Toddy

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
that sort of thing drives me mad! theres a small patch of woodland just two minutes from my house where i like to go for a short walk every morning to wake myself up. it has been absolutely trashed by people like that, trees debarked, burnt and ripped down in the case of the smaller ones. bike ramps everywhere, litter everywhere (including lots of broken glass), the small pond full of litter and crap, boundary fences ripped down, piles of burnt wood everywhere from bonfires. it makes me really angry! i try to clear up as much as i can (mostly the glass bottles and the beer cans to chuck in the recycling) but im only one man and even if loads of people cleaned it all up the scum would just keep making more. I'm at a loss for what to do, theres seems to be no feasible way of stopping people like this. except for having them classed as vermin then i can shoot em, but thats not gonna happen :(

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The guys where hurling abuse at me too as I was walking too slowly along a narrow path when they wanted to go racing through. If they were decent, polite folks that didn't burn everything and leave a mess, then I wouldn't have a problem with them up there for an hour or two on a Sunday. But they thought the woods belonged to them and didn't care for anyones safety who may have been on foot.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi,

Regards,
Cal

However, to be annoyed about the stupid, illegal and anti social acts of others is perfectly reasonable. If people want to race silly little motor bikes, the appropriate place is a race track, not a peaceful wood.

This kind of mindless, destructive use of land that does not belong to the user is one of the reasons why I am violently opposed to wider land access. If people believe that churning the soil, belching fumes and disturbing the peace is "responsible access" then the more land they are kept away from, the better

Red

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
However, to be annoyed about the stupid, illegal and anti social acts of others is perfectly reasonable. If people want to race silly little motor bikes, the appropriate place is a race track, not a peaceful wood.

This kind of mindless, destructive use of land that does not belong to the user is one of the reasons why I am violently opposed to wider land access. If people believe that churning the soil, belching fumes and disturbing the peace is "responsible access" then the more land they are kept away from, the better

Red

Absolutely.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
well... humans are an introduced species to england... you can shoot rabbits and they don't do that much damage...
i have always wanted a bit of woodland but this always makes me uneasy. it makes me think i would go down there one day and someone would have fly tipped and burnt it...
PARASITE. a plant or animal that lives on or in an organism of another species from which it derives sustenance or protection without benefit to, and usually with harmful effects on, the host.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE