Day Out Field test.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
My usual brew kit consists of an Aluminium or stainless pot/Mug and standard issue 1 litre black water bottles or occasionally a Nalgene or stainless bottle. I don't have a 'Military' style metal water bottle, so being a fan of cheap but functional kit I sent off to the land of the Great Wall. I really wish I had kept the paperwork, purely for amusement value, as I think the seller was called Best Happy Hiker Shop or something similar. The instructions were either a deliberate attempt by Google Translator to make a Chinese Company look daft or the Chinese Translator had done one of those American postal University courses and obtained a degree in English...:laugh:
" Do not bold careless touch handle during use as many burnings may occur"
There, so now you know...:roflmao:

A bright but overcast day with a chill wind off a Wintery looking sea. Monday morning, It looked as if the weekly Board meetings were in progress amongst the feathered folk down on the lake. I heard these Mallard long before I sighted them, quacking like Politicians in the run up to an election.

On the old Bridge a Squadron of Black Headed Gulls face into the wind before take off.

The dark feathers of their Summer faces are already noticeable at a distance.
While all this chatter and preening goes on, some folk have some serious fishing to do.

I returned to the place where I had discovered a disguised Trail Camera a week or so ago. I'm glad to report the Camera had been removed, and amused to ponder on what the owner thought when a pair of size 9's suddenly appeared in shot and then a whiskery old bloke peered into the lens..:laugh:

I like the Woodland management policy in the local woods, they do not 'Tidy up' as in some places. Obviously safety is important so trees are felled and cleared where necessary, but windfall in safe areas or felled trees clear of trails and Bridle Ways are left where they fall.

And they become like natural gardens as they decay.

Some trees become almost like landmarks to visitors and spark interest in kids.

Not very clear, but the scattered feathers indicate the end of one of the smaller woodland birds.

Following this trail paid off eventually, although it led me on a bit of a dance through some overgrown areas. (Just left of bottom centre to top centre by the big tree)

There is lots of Badger evidence in these woods but the Setts are very remote and inaccessible. I only went to within a non intrusive distance for the photograph but felt I deserved the photo after hopping over Brambles for nearly two hours just to get there..

And now..Do not boldly careless...

Works a treat, very lightweight and sufficiently strong unless you are dumb enough to jump up and down on it., and a lot cheaper than Ti£anium..:laugh:

On the way home I found these Creeping Vines. They always interest me, the shapes and form as they climb and hang from the trees.

Many years ago I used a section of Creeper to make a handle for a Finnish carbon blade I had bought. I was pleased with the result and the knife has seen much use since.

Walking home at dusk...I hope you have your Day Fishing Ticket, Jack, You haven't moved since this morning..:laugh:

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
'I really like the look of that creeper (Clematis?)'

Old mature Clematis Vitalba, Old Man's Beard, Traveller's Joy and probably many other Folk names.
When the knife was finally finished I sanded the handle to a slightly more sculpted grip and found it to be very comfortable to hold with a strange almost 'warm' feel to the wood, even after treating it with oil. I use it often, if out on more than just single overnight trips.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Great write up, was looking for a pic of the new kit from the great wall, interested in a review of the new item and the site you purchased from, loved the translation,
Looked like a great trip.
Keep up the great work.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
:) I wouldn't take it to war with me, but at minus £20 and lightweight it's fine for brews on a day walk. It took a while to arrive and I've forgotten who from, but it was Ali Express website.

It's a bottle ( about 900 mil not 1 litre as stated on advert), a mug and the little stand which can either be a twig stove or as I did, stick a Trangia burner under it. It fits in a cheap padded fabric cover that comes with belt clips attached but I carry it in a side pocket of my Bergan.

With this sort of cheap kit I ask myself, Does it do what it's designed to do? Does it work in practical use? Will it last if I don't batter it about?
If the answers are yes, I'm happy. :thumbsup:

Reactions: swyn and cbrdave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE