Carving is patience?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I've been wanting to carve a decent spoon for some time now. My carvings to date had all been very rough, hap hazard, impromptu affairs to produce something useful in a short amount of time, usually because I'd forgotten a spork or spatula when out in the woods. Which don't get me wrong, is a useful practice, but they were never fine carvings to be proud of.

So I had a birthday recently, and purchased a decent spoon knife from wood tools uk, and slung a cherry handle to it. What a lovely bit of kit.

20211217_221744.jpg

I found a great video, from a guy called zeb outdoors who had done a spoon carving video with a guy called Paul Adamson. I don't think I've ever watched such a long video! Paul is clearly a master at what he does. I can't recommend this video enough for anyone starting out into carving. He makes notes on the finest details, but the details that elevate a rough spoon into a piece to be proud of.

My first spoon I tried to make without a template, with some recently windblown birch from a local wood, which had some interesting grain, like very early stages of spalt. It was supposed to be a full size spoon, and ended up being a teaspoon! Lesson one, use a template. However it worked out fairly well, the crank came out well and the overall shape was pleasant. It was such a rough finish though, I had to get the dremel out to finish the spoon! Lesson 2, learn cut directions!

20211226_214944.jpg20211226_214954.jpg

The next spoon I decided to carve from some cherry in the logstore. It has a beautiful grain and is hard, so I thought it was worth a shot. The axe work wasn't too bad, but the knife work was almost impossible! Made harder by the fact the bevels on my little homemade whittler were convex, the knife kept skating off. Lesson 3 and 4, flat bevels for carving and fresh cut green wood! Safe to say I pulled the dremel out to finish the job. A proper sized spoon atleast, and the handle shape felt good.

20211231_164944.jpg
I knew I needed a new knife. I had a little 1.5mm x 10mm 01 tool steel, so I knocked up a wee whittler probably 50-60mm long, really concentrating on the flat bevels. I'm no pro, I've only got basic tools but I'm really happy with how it came out and it's a great carver. That well seasoned cherry came in very useful for the handle.

20220104_122112.jpg20220105_121121.jpg

The next spoon I went back to green birch, this time from a large round so it had a lovely open straight grain. I went super slow and steady. Much, much better this time. The form was lovely, I went a little thin at the top of the handle but I think the width will save it some strength. I used a small amount of sand paper just to neaten up a couple of bad cuts that had chipped slightly, but other than this is the closest I've been to what I was aiming for. Lesson 5, patience!

20220105_121335.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Those are good, punk. You keep your edges carving sharp while you "learn the wood". You're right = many woods go from cheese to bone when they dry. Try coconut shell someday and then a week+ after opening.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Nice work there goodjob.

Addo's a member on here and a great guy, extremely skilled. He's also got a book out on the art of hand carving kuksas when you want to attempt something bigger :)

Thanks Mesquite :) I have watched his Kuksa video in the hope of attempting one soon, I actually made a cardboard template for one tonight, I'm just waiting for the right piece of wood... and a nice gouge to turn up for not a lot of money :p

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
For most dishes, there's no prize for wasting time. I hog out the bulk of the dish void with a 3/4" Forstner bit in a drill press. Then I can bash out the remaining wood webbing quite quickly. Then comes the fun part with crooked knives ( Mora #162, #163 and #164 for examples) to fashion the inner surface. I revise farrier's hook trimming knives into entirely functional wood carving tools.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I ordered some 2mm 01 steel last week so I got cracking on with a little chip carver early this week, had that boshed out in no time and mostly done with the dremel which was quite fun

20220209_185010.jpg20220209_185045.jpg

And also finished off a willow spoon, not my favourite wood it's a little too soft for me but its easy on the hands atleast and come up nicely after burnishing. It did however provide a good blank canvas for some kolrosing practice. Let me know when you spot the wavy lines haha. Need more practice!

20220209_180718.jpg20220209_180725.jpg

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Your comment about the length of Zed's video made me laugh. I've watched quite a few of his videos and he really doesn't believe in editing anything out! That's not a criticism, just a humorous observation.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Your comment about the length of Zed's video made me laugh. I've watched quite a few of his videos and he really doesn't believe in editing anything out! That's not a criticism, just a humorous observation.

This is too true! At first, I found it kinda hard to hold my attention on the vids, but as time has gone by each step in the process becomes more useful to create a better finish or become more efficient with the process. Each spoon carver has there own traits and ways, I've picked up bits and pieces from everyone of them.

Reactions: Kadushu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE