One Small Birch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
All from one Birch sapling of approx 2" diameter at the base and five foot long, only bits I didn't use (bar a piece I've still to use which will be good for a couple of spoons), were either very knotty or too small a diameter to be of any use, not counting of course the couple of bits i screwed up and binned.

20200428_145931a by Mark Emery, on Flickr

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I like that :cool:
Not just the range of your usual excellent work, but that this is 'one tree' and what you made from it :)

We cut some small Birch down up at the ponds so we could do some repair work to one of the banks and rather than lob the thicker bits on the bonfire they got bought back, tbh i was half expecting to find a fish hook embedded in the wood somewhere, but not to be.

As for the carvings, thought it might be interesting to see what such a small bit of wood could yield, im happy with the results, although there should have been two more spoons in the pile, but they went wrong and will feed eldests firepit in the not too distant future.

As an aside i also stripped off all the bark and that now sits in my tinder supply box.

Reactions: Nice65 and Toddy

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Excellent job, I like all of those!

I bet it was particularly satisfying to make so much from one model branch. I really need to do some spoons, I enjoy it and yet find the time hard to justify so rarely do it....

Keep it up mate!! goodjob

Reactions: Kepis

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Nicely done Mark; it's good to see someone going back to how we should be treating materials - minimum waste.

Maybe that's a challenge we could all have a go at post-lockdown - a 50mm x 1,500mm branch of one's own choosing (or maybe a bit shorter); how many object with minimum waste can we can get out of it? :) - or maybe it should be useful objects, or how many different objects (otherwise just splitting it up into matchstick sized kindling would count!)

I must have a go at a netting shuttle (or whatever they're called); I've never made or used one and they look so elegant.

Reactions: Kepis

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE