Offensive Weapons Act 2019: surrender and compensation scheme. December 2020 - March 2021

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I think we are broadly in agreement. Minotaur, :)

My point was, whether you choose to follow laws is up to you, but if for any reason you don't want to follow them, for the love of Pete don't go writing about it on the internet. This is especially true for the folk who seem to be almost proud to profess ignorance of the law. At worst their words could be used against them in court. At best they tarnish whatever image they had for wisdom and discretion, and earn a little ire from the Mod staff for promoting illegal behaviour.

Reactions: santaman2000

bearbait

I assume that teachers are no longer permitted to throw small pieces of chalk, with devastating accuracy, at their pupils whose attention was possibly elsewhere? Nor the board rubber to the land on the desk in front of you, enveloping you in a cloud of chalk dust? (Not that it ever happened to me, of course.)

Reactions: Minotaur

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Naval cutlasses are still being made and being issued to retiring sailors. Air Force swords are still being made and issued to Accadamy graduates. Marine Corp swords are still being made and issued to officers and senior NCOs. Not sure about cavalry sabers.
I bet there is a reason, what was the last pattern military sword maybe?
Were do movie props fall in this?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I assume that teachers are no longer permitted to throw small pieces of chalk, with devastating accuracy, at their pupils whose attention was possibly elsewhere? Nor the board rubber to the land on the desk in front of you, enveloping you in a cloud of chalk dust? (Not that it ever happened to me, of course.)
Chalk? Chalkboard erasers? It’s been decades since I saw either of those in a classroom. They were replaced by dry erase boards long ago.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hate to point out that this thread is exclusively about the situation in the UK. Listing swords made or issued in the US has as much relevance as noting that you can buy semi-automatic rifles, handguns, blow pipes, or automatic knives.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Naval cutlasses are still being made and being issued to retiring sailors. Air Force swords are still being made and issued to Accadamy graduates. Marine Corp swords are still being made and issued to officers and senior NCOs. Not sure about cavalry sabers.
Not sure what pattern they issue now however they made in Birmingham I believe or some of them are. I saw the US Navy versions on a show recently and they looked like short swords.
Would not the dress uniform be your good reason or is it like wearing a kilt and it allows carry?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hate to point out that this thread is exclusively about the situation in the UK. Listing swords made or issued in the US has as much relevance as noting that you can buy semi-automatic rifles, handguns, blow pipes, or automatic knives.
Not exactly. We are talking about precisely the type of swords collectors would seek. I suspect there are also other militaries around the world (many much closer in Europe) that also still produce and issue swords British collectors would want and probably have.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Doh must have been typing at the same time.

If you make the knife or item yourself using primitive or old means can you just carry it? This is where I miss British Blades and the lawyers on there.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Not exactly. We are talking about precisely the type of swords collectors would seek. I suspect there are also other militaries around the world (many much closer in Europe) that also still produce and issue swords British collectors would want and probably have.
Only military sword to own is the 1796 Heavy Cavalry Sword. I will get my coat.....

Reactions: santaman2000

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The post you quoted from Minotaur was referencing another which asked what was special about swords made before 1954, why that date was used as a threshold after which swords over a certain length and not made by traditional methods would be illegal. Minotaur queried whether it might have something to do with the last issue date for a military sword. While this doesn't seem likely, that date would be particularly unlikely to have anything to do with swords issued by other countries, much less anything to do with swords that they issue now.

It doesn't matter who is making the sword, or how keen a collector is on it, if it is over 50cm, curved, younger than 1954 and cannot be shown to be made with "traditional methods", it is illegal in the UK. What constitutes traditional methods will probably be decided by the court when some poor collector gets hauled in.

Had you detailed how your US service swords were were straight, or short, or offered a suggestion for why 1954 would be a cut off, that would have tied your post in with what had been discussed. Simply listing US services that issue swords doesn't seem terribly related to the preceding conversation.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The post you quoted from Minotaur was referencing another which asked what was special about swords made before 1954, why that date was used as a threshold after which swords over a certain length and not made by traditional methods would be illegal. Minotaur queried whether it might have something to do with the last issue date for a military sword. While this doesn't seem likely, that date would be particularly unlikely to have anything to do with swords issued by other countries, much less anything to do with swords that they issue now.

It doesn't matter who is making the sword, or how keen a collector is on it, if it is over 50cm, curved, younger than 1954 and cannot be shown to be made with "traditional methods", it is illegal in the UK. What constitutes traditional methods will probably be decided by the court when some poor collector gets hauled in.

Had you detailed how your US service swords were were straight, or short, or offered a suggestion for why 1954 would be a cut off, that would have tied your post in with what had been discussed. Simply listing US services that issue swords doesn't seem terribly related to the preceding conversation.
Yeah that was exactly my point: that since true military swords are still being made and issued it’s doubtful that has anything to do with the 1954 cutoff date. That said, I wonder if perhaps that was the last time any military changed the design of their issue blades?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Only military sword to own is the 1796 Heavy Cavalry Sword. I will get my coat.....
Personally I served in the Air Force but the AF sword doesn’t really attract my attention. Nor the Marine Corps sword as such (although it’s history of how it was adopted is another story) I do have an affinity for cavalry sabers and naval cutlasses though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE