Now call me old fashioned but... Bug Out Bag.. Is it Worth doing??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I bought a calendar in January this year. At the end of this month it will run out and I have to buy another one for 2013.

That is no different to what's happening with the Mayan calendar.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I bought a calendar in January this year. At the end of this month it will run out and I have to buy another one for 2013.

That is no different to what's happening with the Mayan calendar.

Ahh, but where would the fun be if you didn't get paranoid and pack bug out bags and ignore all common sense every year when your calendar runs out?

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
Do bear in mind guys'n'gals that the end of the world doesn't have to happen for the end of your world to occur. I'm thinking fire/flood in your house leaving you with nothing at all maybe. In a case like that, everyone elst will be going abouit their daily business, the world will still be turning, only yours would be upside down. For that reason a degree of preparedness is wise, I think. A secure memory stick with important docs scanned on it, treasured photos, etc. plus any basic survival kit to stay out 24hrs if necessary, hot drinks, snacks, the normal bit. I deal with people to whom this has happened every week; very, very few are prepared in any way at all.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I dont regard mine as a bug out bag as bugging in is more likely but I do like to have my travelling gear ready to hand. I suspect this is a reult of having been born during WWII when a sudden move was always on the cards.

I have ready packed the basics that I know I will need for my usual sort of trip where 3 season European stuff is the norm. I work on a sort of Russian Doll principle: EDC on a key ring and wallet, fanny pack with day long needs and emergency kit, pack with sleeping and cooking stuff. 2day ration packs and change of clothes.

This way I know I'll always have what I need and can't supplement in a hurry without carting about unnecessary stuff. I've done this for 60 years more or less and although I've made changes over this time, the basics seem much the same. The whole lot weighs about 12kg- it used to weigh 28 lbs!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I keep a little pack for the car with water, food, brewkit, extra warm clothing, FAK few odd and ends and chocolate, OH wait no the missus has stolen the chocolate AGAIN!

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
One thing I was wondering.... why do people put everything on a memory stick, if its the end of the world or a major thing happens, and civilisation ends as well know it then a memory stick will only be any good IF Electric, PC's, and prinetrs still work.....

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
For unexpected nights away from home (parties that I decide to stay on at afterdrinking too much, van breakdowns ... which are anticipated at any time! ... road closures, TEOTWAWKI etc) my van always contains enough kit to be comfortable camping out for 24 hours. In the van I also have copies of vital papers such as my passport details, tax, insurance and MOT. The van also contains tools enough for most roadside emergencies and a big first aid kit.
My Bushy kit is always primed and ready at 5mins warning so that might count too....
Exactly!
If we get stuck somewhere (work, out in the car etc.) we have stuff to hand that will make things easier (a brew goes a long way to that!).
Alan

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
One thing I was wondering.... why do people put everything on a memory stick, if its the end of the world or a major thing happens, and civilisation ends as well know it then a memory stick will only be any good IF Electric, PC's, and prinetrs still work.....

The stick is for when its just your world that coming to an end..... And for the weight, why not have one ?

If we ever do get an ELE you won't need to prove that you have got life insurance, anything less and there will be computers functioning somewhere

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
I've actually done a fair bit of research on this and you can definatly stay calm and put the kettle on its all a loud of rubbish and the date 21,12 wasnt even in circulation till 1996 as the so called date of the end of days . some blame the myans some say the THEM under ground govenments planning to lessen the global population . to 500.000 etc etc etc . fun reads and many a youtube clip on various conspiracys but I wouldnt worry . georgiaguidestonesgt7.jpg

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I was actually quite interested in it from the point of view that more than a few people would take this a bit more seriously than your average world ending threat.
In the sense that there might be some food shortages or general panic in some form or other etc etc.

But ultimately no I don't have a bug out bag. My kit is scattered around the house and out in the shed but let's face it, I could run to the hills with family in tow. Or I could go stick the kettle on in a warm secure building with more than enough supplies to last through any issues.

Then comes the real world issue of the fact that I'm on a rig for the next couple of weeks. If the world should happen to end I'm either in the best possible place or the last thing I see will be a bald Nigerian.

Pros and cons. ;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have a certain amount of camping gear that lives in my van just for convenience and in case I break down somewhere remote.

As far as bugging out is concerned the I keep some grey stuff between my ears for that if it's ever necessary.

I tried the grey stuff idea - pushing it in through my ears hurt though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE